Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Who got an iPhone?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 45, 46, 47  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonpurdy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TKDBOY wrote:
jonpurdy wrote:

I paid about 200,000 up front, plus 65,000 per month. If I cancel I'll end up paying about 300,000, which is still cheaper than buying the phone outright.

really you paid 200,000KRW ... I didnt pay a penny, just the 30,000 fee to reserve one online, that was given back in online gift vouchers .... I would double check who has the 200,000... is the shop or KT?

132,000 for the 16GB on a 65,000/month plan. Plus 30,000 for new activation, plus 30,000 for being able to pay the monthly plan in installments (instead of 65,000x24 right then), plus 7,700 for a new USIM.
kprrok

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonpurdy wrote:
plus 30,000 for being able to pay the monthly plan in installments (instead of 65,000x24 right then)

They made you pay for the ability to pay your bill monthly? That's funny as hell. Did you also pay the internet company for this privilege?
SHANE02

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jazblanc77 wrote:
You are living in the test market for the best phones in the world... why would you want an iPhone?!

Rolling Eyes

Are you serious?
red_devil

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kprrok wrote:
jonpurdy wrote:
plus 30,000 for being able to pay the monthly plan in installments (instead of 65,000x24 right then)

They made you pay for the ability to pay your bill monthly? That's funny as hell. Did you also pay the internet company for this privilege?

No it's to spread the payment out in installment payments. Sometimes you can do it for like 3 months without a fee charge by the bank. If you do 6 months or more they usually charge a fee. I think the installment feature here in Korea rules. In the US it was either pay it all and put it on your CC or don't get it.

Coincidently my co-worker just walked in with a new iPhone 3GS 32GB i told her that foreigners can't reserve it - but she said that there were foreigners lined up to buy it at COEX a# and SHOW store. When i said they probably got it under their gf's names, she said a lot of them were alone and signing up on the spot...so i guess it's open now to everyone? They already filled pre-orders? I'll go tomorrow and see if i can get one.
mehamrick

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know if KTF is going to be the only place you can get one? or will SKT have them eventually as well??
jonpurdy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kprrok wrote:
jonpurdy wrote:

I thought it was funny that they do that. I obviously never did that in Canada. I went to an actual SHOW store though and got the first phone in Ulsan so I'm sure they weren't pocketing it, especially since it's on the contract and invoices. My co- mentioned that it's a standard practice here.
kprrok

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

red_devil wrote:
kprrok wrote:
jonpurdy wrote:

No it's to spread the payment out in installment payments. Sometimes you can do it for like 3 months without a fee charge by the bank. If you do 6 months or more they usually charge a fee. I think the installment feature here in Korea rules. In the US it was either pay it all and put it on your CC or don't get it.

So we're obviously not clear about this...the 65,000 x 24 you're talking about, is that the monthly service charge for the plan you picked (however many minutes + however much data)? Or is it the payment on the phone?

If it's the phone amount you're spreading out, that's standard, but your phone just cost you 1.5million. If it's the monthly payment, that's BS. I've had several cell phones with SKT and LG and the monthly service plan is never pre-paid. Of course, this could be if you're on an E-2 and you signed a 2-year contract to get the phone cheaper (if that's even allowed).

Could you explain a little more what this 65k x 24 is?
jonpurdy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kprrok wrote:
red_devil wrote:
kprrok wrote:
jonpurdy wrote:

So we're obviously not clear about this...the 65,000 x 24 you're talking about, is that the monthly service charge for the plan you picked (however many minutes + however much data)? Or is it the payment on the phone?

If it's the phone amount you're spreading out, that's standard, but your phone just cost you 1.5million. If it's the monthly payment, that's BS. I've had several cell phones with SKT and LG and the monthly service plan is never pre-paid. Of course, this could be if you're on an E-2 and you signed a 2-year contract to get the phone cheaper (if that's even allowed).

Could you explain a little more what this 65k x 24 is?

It's under my co-teacher's plan with a two year contract. They said that I could pay 65,000 monthly charge in one shot (65,000/month for 24 months = 1,560,000), or I could pay it monthly. In order to pay it monthly they said they'd have to charge 30,000. I was told this was standard practice. If it's not, I'll look into it tomorrow.

And it's only for the monthly plan, I'm not paying for the phone in installments. Also, if I cancel the plan I don't get charged the remainder of 65,000x(remaining months), it's significantly less.

Edit: clarified details.
crescent

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm paying the phone in instalments.

3Gs 32gig
data plan = 45,000won x 24months
phone payment = 16,500 x 24months
contract deposit for first time user = 30,000

The contract deposit IS standard practice. I checked it out today.
tatertot

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crescent wrote:
I'm paying the phone in instalments.

3Gs 32gig
data plan = 45,000won x 24months
phone payment = 16,500 x 24months
contract deposit for first time user = 30,000

The contract deposit IS standard practice. I checked it out today.

So it is a 30,000 won deposit? As in, you'll get it back at the end of the contract term?

I have a question about text messages, too. I had an iPhone with ATT in the US, and I could send unlimited characters in text messages. Is it the same here, or are you limited to a certain number of characters with the iPhone like I am with my current phone?
xpat

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is Wifi open? As in, when you are in a hotspot and online, it doesn't come out out of your data plan.
bangbayed

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xpat wrote:
Is Wifi open? As in, when you are in a hotspot and online, it doesn't come out out of your data plan.

Just like a computer, yes, it's free. You can also choose which wifi connection you want to connect to if there's more than one.
pkang0202

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you go tomorrow to get an Iphone through a Korean, it may take around 10 business days to get it. I was told you might get it a few days earlier, or a few days later. However, don't expect to pick one up anytime soon.

I am not going through a Korean friend. I want an Iphone, I want it under my name. I'm going to keep arguing and fighting with KT, Show, or whoever else until I get what I want.

It is absolutely ridiculous we can't even sign up for a damn cell phone. Its a freaking CELL PHONE not a BANK LOAN.

Wish me luck in my fight. If anyone else wants to join me, then please feel free. I'm not a freaking minor anymore. I don't feel I need another adult to get me something that I should be able to get on my own.
steveohan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cant you just pay for the phone outright?
steveohan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

also, if you're a foreigner and want to be able to purchase the iphone, i suggest you get on this guys case:
http://www.twitter.com/ollehkt

its kt's twitter account. he is ignoring my questions regarding foreigners and iphone!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 45, 46, 47  Next
Page 2 of 47

Jump to: