Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Screw KT, Iphone, and Discrimination. DROID is coming
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pkang0202

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:39 pm    Post subject: Screw KT, Iphone, and Discrimination. DROID is coming Reply with quote

SK isn't taking the Iphone launch by KT laying down.

http://www.telecomskorea.com/business-8458.html/comment-page-1

Quote:
Local research firm ROA Group said in a recent report, SK Telecom and Motorola are closely working to release Droid as early as January 2010. Motorola Korea�s spokesperson declined to comments on Droid�s launch to the local market.

Additionally, SK Telecom also includes HTC, a Taiwanese smartphone maker, in its Android line-up as contender for iPhone.

Sure, the Iphone is good, but the DROID is better. Pretty soon there will be more Apps available for Android phones than Iphone. For those of you on SK plans, just stick with it for a couple months and you'll be able to flash your DROID.

Some Apps for the droid:

Android has applications for just about every sort of task that could be done on a mobile device. A short listing of applications that I use on the Droid is below:

Media:

BeyondPod - Podcatcher and Podcast player
Last.fm - Music Streaming
Pandora - Music Streaming
Tunewiki - Music playback with lyrics
Communications:

Google Voice - One phone number, all your phones, visual voicemail and transcriptions.
Twidget Lite - Twitter home screen widget
IRC Radio - "Speaking" IRC client.
ConnectBot - SSH
Android IRC - IRC client with good support for multiple windows
Maps and Navigation:

Google Places - A directory showing multiple points of interest with distance, direction, and a quick description, all integrated with Google Maps
Google Sky Maps - A sky map using the accelerometer and magnetic compass to orient the phone with the sky.
TransiCast - A program which overlays live bus locations on top of Google maps
Wikitude - Wikipedia as an "Enhanced Reality" overlay, so you can point your phone and get information from Wikipedia about the real world.
Google "My Tracks" - A GPS logger which integrates into Google Maps.
Other Apps:

Tricorder - A Star Trek style Tricorder which shows the actual values being recorded by the phone's sensors.
FBReader - E-book reader
Key Ring - Uses the camera to scan barcodes, then plays back the barcodes on-screen, for rewards cards and the like.
Astrid - A task manager compatible with "Remember the Milk."
Gmote - A remote for your computer, makes the phone into a touchpad.
oskinny1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love the Droid but who is to say they won't be any worse than KT?
eamo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You had me at Tricorder........

...........my inner geek likes the look of that phone. Nice and techie. The iphone, and all Apple products for that matter, are a bit too cute and Fisher Price for me. I like my toys functional.
tatertot

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say bring the N900! That's a phone I can get behind!
bangbayed

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no difference between SK and KT as far as foreigners are concerned. LG is the only company that lets foreigners sign contracts, from what I've seen.

Do you really want to go through all this again with SK?
steveohan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the droid is coming?
havent we heard a similar story before? Very Happy
spanky1off

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it looks good..im liking the qwerty and better than iphone camera

if it has the following specs then i will definately jump on this instead of iphone:

-play avi's? (hated converting for itouch)..i have a ton 720p H264 avi files..if i can drag and drop these i'd be loving it
webite read this (PLAYABLE FORMATS AAC, H.263, H.264, MP3, MPEG-4, WAV, WMA, eAAC+, OGG, AMR WB, AMR NB, AAC+, MIDI)

-skype (without noticeble drop out)?

-good tune management/browsing? not keen on itunes but loved the way u can flick through your music on itouch/phone

to be fair to kt not all the iphone complaints are valid. the u.s. n uk launches were also mired in teething problems. it seems getting all the software/network and staff in place to launch this system has always been problematic. thats the risk of early adopters. and if i was kt i wouldnt be giving out 1000 dollar phones to people who can skip the country at any time.

saying that though, if its bought outright then there shouldnt be a barrier to phone ownership and if that is happening then kt suck royal balls in a massively gay way
pkang0202

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spanky1off wrote:
and if i was kt i wouldnt be giving out 1000 dollar phones to people who can skip the country at any time.

saying that though, if its bought outright then there shouldnt be a barrier to phone ownership and if that is happening then kt suck royal balls in a massively gay way

Too bad the Iphone 3GS is not a 1000 dollar phone. YOu can buy Unlocked 3GS iphones on Ebay for ~$600. Seeing as how unlocked phones cost a premium over locked phones, the same 3GS phones should be in the $400-$500 range.

With a service plan, a 16GB 3GS is $200 with AT&T, and the 32GB is $300.

KT is worried foreigners are going to run off with an Iphone thats more expensive than other countries.
Chokse

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems the experts don't agree that the Droid will soon have more apps than the iPhone. The current prediction is that the iPhone will have 300,000 apps by the end of next year while the Droid will have something in the neighborhood of 50,000. You can read about it here:

http://www.idc.com/getdoc.jsp?sessionId=&containerId=prUS22101209

Also, if you think as a foreigner you can walk into any SK store and get a phone, you are sadly mistaken. I've been in Korea since 1996 and have been with SK since 1999. I have paid my bill each month for 10 years and SK still won't let me get a phone under my own name, and I am on an F5 visa. I still have to get my wife to put it under her name. You are not going to have a better experience with SK than you will with KT. They both suck.

The iPhone and Droid are neither the problem nor the solution. This country needs to open the telecom market so we can get Verizon and other foreign telecom companies over here. Outside of that happening, it is going to remain a market closed to foreign customers.
steveohan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ you're doing something wrong then.

i've been on skt for a couple years now and the phone is under my name. granted i had to put down a 200,000 won depsoit when i opened my account, but still...
darkjedidave

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Droid sounds nice, but are those the features for the US version? My guess is the Korean version will not have a number of features, like Google Voice, Pandora etc due to location restrictions.
xmotleyx

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
There's no difference between SK and KT as far as foreigners are concerned. LG is the only company that lets foreigners sign contracts, from what I've seen.

Do you really want to go through all this again with SK?

That is not entirely true. What you said about LG Telecom is. However, here in Gimpo, when I went to get the iphone, they said that I couldn't get the iphone due to visa status. Then they went on to say that I could get a basic phone with them in my name, just not the iphone. So they will give me a contract in my name.

Initially, I was angry. Now I understand. Just face it. I am sure that many people will run without finishing their iphone payments when their contact is up. Just at my workplace everything from utilities to dental bill have gone unpaid.

And to think that Sk will be different with the Android, think again. My buddy had to fight to get his smart phone with them. Some Samsung crap. And the only reason they gave it to him was because he owns an apartment (he had to show documents). It WILL be the same with them.
rebmetpes

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chokse wrote:
Seems the experts don't agree that the Droid will soon have more apps than the iPhone. The current prediction is that the iPhone will have 300,000 apps by the end of next year while the Droid will have something in the neighborhood of 50,000. You can read about it here:

http://www.idc.com/getdoc.jsp?sessionId=&containerId=prUS22101209

Also, if you think as a foreigner you can walk into any SK store and get a phone, you are sadly mistaken. I've been in Korea since 1996 and have been with SK since 1999. I have paid my bill each month for 10 years and SK still won't let me get a phone under my own name, and I am on an F5 visa. I still have to get my wife to put it under her name. You are not going to have a better experience with SK than you will with KT. They both suck.

The iPhone and Droid are neither the problem nor the solution. This country needs to open the telecom market so we can get Verizon and other foreign telecom companies over here. Outside of that happening, it is going to remain a market closed to foreign customers.

I have a KT phone on my own name and I did not pay any security deposit. I am on an E-7 visa.
pkang0202

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm on F4 visa and I have an SK phone in my name. Like another poster said, I had to pay a deposit. The deposit didn't come out all at once. They added like 20,000w to my bill for like 6 months, and then that was that.

What sucks with KT is that you can sign up for any of their phones. Only the Iphone is restricted.
aphase

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pkang0202 wrote:
I'm on F4 visa and I have an SK phone in my name. Like another poster said, I had to pay a deposit. The deposit didn't come out all at once. They added like 20,000w to my bill for like 6 months, and then that was that.

What sucks with KT is that you can sign up for any of their phones. Only the Iphone is restricted.

I also have an F4, and I've NEVER had to pay a deposit. I'm also with SKT. Maybe they made a mistake and charged you? F4 visas were acceptable without deposit when i signed up about 4 years ago.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: