Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Thailand to Busan

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stever1000

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:59 pm    Post subject: Thailand to Busan Reply with quote

Hello everyone

I will be in Thailand for 4-5 weeks before I fly to Busan to start teaching.

The flight I found through Korean Air from Bangkok to Busan limits me to one checked bag. I was planning on having two checked bags and one carry on to fit all my clothes and stuff I was planning on bringing to Korea.

Is there a way around paying extra fee for a second checked bag?
The flight is ~$400USD. I have not booked the flight yet, but this seems to be the cheapest around the time I'll be flying (end of Feb)

Can I mail my luggage from Bangkok to Busan, or will that be too timely/expensive?
stever1000

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Extra checked baggage is $100 USD/piece
ttompatz

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Thailand to Busan Reply with quote

stever1000 wrote:
Hello everyone

I will be in Thailand for 4-5 weeks before I fly to Busan to start teaching.

The flight I found through Korean Air from Bangkok to Busan limits me to one checked bag. I was planning on having two checked bags and one carry on to fit all my clothes and stuff I was planning on bringing to Korea.

Is there a way around paying extra fee for a second checked bag?
The flight is ~$400USD. I have not booked the flight yet, but this seems to be the cheapest around the time I'll be flying (end of Feb)

Can I mail my luggage from Bangkok to Busan, or will that be too timely/expensive?

The only time (unless you fly first class) that you get 2 bags + hand carry is when you fly to/from north America.

EVERYWHERE else it is 20kg and usually 1 bag (sometimes 2 bags but still the 20kg limit) + hand carry.

Post from Thailand to Korea (other than surface mail) is expensive (US$150 per 20kg box).

Surface mail is cheap ($80/20kg box) but slow (1-3 months) and untraceable if lost or stolen.

Your choices are to:
i) pay for the extra luggage,
ii) pack less (you really don't need that much when you go to Korea).

Drew345

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a similar flight (from Bangkok to Seoul) for my first job in Korea 10 years ago. I flew Asiana and asked them if I could get extra luggage allowance since I was going there to work. They told me to send in a fax (even though I was standing in their office!) to the manager and make the request. I figured they were just trying to get rid of me but sent in the fax anyway. I was surprised to find later that they did give me the 10 extra kg (and I got an invitation to the business lounge too!). I was already a reward member with Asiana, that gave me 10 kg as reward member and 10 more bonus kg, for a total of 40 kg. That was goo enough to get me started in Korea.
Anyway, call them (Thai office) to see how to make the request. Maybe send a fax to the office manager with your Korea contract, might just get some luck.
Otherwise, standard tricks: wear 3 pairs of paints, several jackets, put a few heavy items in your pockets. Maybe put heavy items in your carry-on. If your carry-on isn't bulging they wont check the weight.
young_clinton

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You got a pretty decent deal on your ticket. If you can't convince the manager to let you bring on a 2nd bag without paying, then just pay the extra $100.
stever1000

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies everyone! Shipping sounds like a hassle so I will see what I can negotiate with the airline first.

Drew345 wrote:
I did a similar flight (from Bangkok to Seoul) for my first job in Korea 10 years ago. I flew Asiana and asked them if I could get extra luggage allowance since I was going there to work. They told me to send in a fax (even though I was standing in their office!) to the manager and make the request. I figured they were just trying to get rid of me but sent in the fax anyway. I was surprised to find later that they did give me the 10 extra kg (and I got an invitation to the business lounge too!). I was already a reward member with Asiana, that gave me 10 kg as reward member and 10 more bonus kg, for a total of 40 kg. That was goo enough to get me started in Korea.
Anyway, call them (Thai office) to see how to make the request. Maybe send a fax to the office manager with your Korea contract, might just get some luck.
Otherwise, standard tricks: wear 3 pairs of paints, several jackets, put a few heavy items in your pockets. Maybe put heavy items in your carry-on. If your carry-on isn't bulging they wont check the weight.

Thanks for this information, I will see if I can contact the airline and ask if they will make an exception!
PatrickGHBusan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wear 3 pair of pants in Thailand? Good luck with that.

Seriously your cheapest option will likely be to pay for the extra suitcase.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: