Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Who's ever taught at Jungchul (Chungchul?) language schools?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aske

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoooArtsy wrote:
Quote:
Like all English teaching in Korea, the curriculum is awful and is meant to maximize profit, and like all franchise hagwons in Korea whether the contract is upheld or ignored depends on the hagwon.

You don't think any Korean schools have a decent English curriculum? That's pretty harsh, dude. Ah, oh well...I'm allowed to teach there without the training to know what a good curriculum IS, anyway.

Oh, Korea.

Maybe there's a handful, but I've never come across them. Look at the English on street signs or even government entities. The Busan subway says 'Way Out' instead of 'Exit'. Anyone who's been outside of Korea knows that 'Way Out' is not proper signage and looks ridiculous to anyone who's lived outside of Korea. But poor English is now so widespread and deep-rooted in Korea that curricula seem to chased the money to meet the demand for Konglish instead of proper English, and it's all within the same nonsensical framework of rote memorization. I've only been here a short time and I'm leaving already. There's more dignity in prostitution.
Gom

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work at a Jung Chul Hagwon
The 'Curriculum' (HAHAHA!) is woefully crap.
I am a novelty babysitter. That is all.

My Boss is great though, a genuinely decent bloke..so far..I am pushed a little harder than expected in some ways, but in others...this is the easiest job on the planet!

I have no real bad words to say about the place other than it is NOT designed for the serious teacher AND do NOT invest your heart in the place...it will be trampled by the mind-numbing machine that is Jung Chul Labs....

Easy work, some little f*ck*rs, some little stars.

Welcome to Korea.

Welcome to Hagwons in general...
dodge81

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aske wrote:
SoooArtsy wrote:
Quote:
Like all English teaching in Korea, the curriculum is awful and is meant to maximize profit, and like all franchise hagwons in Korea whether the contract is upheld or ignored depends on the hagwon.

You don't think any Korean schools have a decent English curriculum? That's pretty harsh, dude. Ah, oh well...I'm allowed to teach there without the training to know what a good curriculum IS, anyway.

Oh, Korea.

Maybe there's a handful, but I've never come across them. Look at the English on street signs or even government entities. The Busan subway says 'Way Out' instead of 'Exit'. Anyone who's been outside of Korea knows that 'Way Out' is not proper signage and looks ridiculous to anyone who's lived outside of Korea. But poor English is now so widespread and deep-rooted in Korea that curricula seem to chased the money to meet the demand for Konglish instead of proper English, and it's all within the same nonsensical framework of rote memorization. I've only been here a short time and I'm leaving already. There's more dignity in prostitution.

Most signs in England say 'Way Out' instead of 'Exit'.

However, I taught at a Jungchul in my first year in Korea. The couple who ran the school were great but I must concur with other posters- the curriculum was nothing short of retarded. In most classes I didn't even have a book, meaning I had to make up classes (not bad for a while but for 12 months?).
Gom

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dodge81 wrote:

Most signs in England say 'Way Out' instead of 'Exit'.

Some. Not most.
Carla

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work at a Jungchul, and I have friends who work at a totally unrelated Jungchul. The lessons suck, but we both add our own touch to the lessons to help the kids. Another poster recently said he likes Jungchul because he doesn't have to plan anything. Some schools let you change the lessons, some don't.

If you know the specific hagwon, you can ask about details. Other than that, a hagwon is a hagwon. Some are good, some are bad. It just depends on the director. I love my Jungchul, but I wouldn't take a job at another one JUST because it was a Jungchul. I would see it as a totally seperate school and go from there.

Like I said, my friend works at a Jungchul about 15 minutes walking distance from mine, both in Suwon. But the two schools are very different. I'm at mine for the second year. My friend has been working at hers 5 years, and the couple we know at another campus have been working there for 3 years.

If I was leaving Korea, I would recomment a friend to take my position at MY school, but I wouldn't just say "Go to any Jungchul."
plato's republic

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hijacking this thread, rather than starting a new one.

Does anyone have any info on a Jungchul school in Saha-dong, Busan?
Hodizzle

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to add, does anyone know about a Jungchul in Jinhae?
le-paul

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope this question doesnt sound patronising but why arent you two talking to the current hogwan native teachers directly?
cyeast97

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hodizzle, I also am dealing with a Jungchul in Jinhae. I will ask for a current teacher's email address so that I can get some questions answered.

I suggest you do the same so that we can compare/contrast.
Seoulman69

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

worked at Jungchul in Iksan many years ago and it was fine. Good boss, nice co-workers. Each branch is different though so tread carefully.
tdobbins

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone got any information on a jung chul in Seongnamsi, Gyeonggido??
Guajiro

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I taught at a Jungchul branch in Gongju. Generally it was a great experience. The students were awesome, the curriculum was easy to teach and didn't require much lesson planning, but supplemental materials were encouraged as required, and the staff were generally easy to deal with. I did, on occasion, have to remind my employer of what I was entitled to based on my contract, but everything promised was eventually fulfilled.

Definitely a good first experience for new teachers. Experienced and/or egotistical teachers may be disappointed with the curriculum and text books you're asked to follow, but rookies to Korea will probably appreciate the fact that the lessons are already planned for you.
glassandshells

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

does anyone have any info on the dadaepo campus in sahagu, busan?? it would be much appreciated! thanks!
melaniebee

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For people who have worked at a Jung Chul school - did you get paid a pension and government health care?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: