Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

just some questions about teaching in korea

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blue Flower

Location: The realisation that I only have to endure two more weeks in this filthy, perverted, nasty place!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 8:12 pm    Post subject: just some questions about teaching in korea Reply with quote

Hi everyone - I am currently in New Zealand, and am seriously considering teaching in Korea, but am a bit freaked out about the whole war thing, and also the culture shock. Shocked There is a recruiting agency in NZ that operates, and they are offering 1.8 million won p/m, free accomodation (shared or single), return flight, and 2 weeks vacation. Is this a reasonable deal? No word on schools or locations yet. Also, is it very easy to meet other people? Thanks heaps, Nic.
half_pint

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally wouldn't go through a recruiter. There's tons of jobs advertized where you can contact the school directly, and I wouldn't consider a job without speaking directly to other foreign teachers at the school.

The 1.8 million won may be reasonable depending on where you are...if you are going to Seoul you should be getting 2 million per month. 2 weeks vacation seems to be the norm for a hogwan, your accomodation should be paid wherever you go, but you will have to pay your own bills. I would insist on having your flight paid for in advance.

As for the whole war thing and the culture shock, do a ton of research before you make any decision and don't rush things. Take your time and you will have a better idea of whether or not you are doing the right thing.

How easy is it to meet people? It depends on if you are in a city or in a smaller town, and if there are other foreign teachers at your school. If you are especially interested in meeting people, I would work in a large city at a school where there's at least a few other foreign teachers.
Magog

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where you from Nic?
Just come over on a tourist visa..sort it from there
I give some good advice over a few beers Smile
Blue Flower

Location: The realisation that I only have to endure two more weeks in this filthy, perverted, nasty place!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Beer sounds good Laughing
Been offered a contract which I'm not too happy about, but at least it was honest about what was stated. No lies (I hope). So if all goes according to plan, I should be in Korea on the 16 March. Woohoo!!!
paul

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 5:09 pm    Post subject: teaching in korea Reply with quote

You should come over on a tourist visa because you lose nothing and gain everything. Your flight will be reimbursed, and you can hang out for a while and physically check out some schools. NEVER blindly sign a contract witout looking at your classrooms and your school's location. Then of course, there is the question of supervisor and school record, as far as other teachers are concerned. And of course, make sure you don't get burned on a decent apartment, which is a major compaint from people who get a "free" apartment with a contract.
There are a lot of good schools in Korea, but there are some real stinkers so be careful. Never assume everything will be all right once you get here.

Cheers
Clutch Cargo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul,
are you saying that a school will reimburse your ticket if you head to SK and find a job in a school once you're there? even if you have no contact with the school until you arrive? that sounds pretty generous. the reason I ask is that this is what I'm planning on doing that in a few weeks but I'm going through a bit of a 'organise the job now or do it when I get there' dilemma. could you clarify please?
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't 100% expect it...
lawyertood

Location: Seoul, Incheon and the World--working undercover for the MOJ

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Zyzyfer...don't expect it as the school will more than likely have to spring for your visa run as you will need to leave the country again to get the work visa. Not too many schools will pay for the visa trip and reimburse your original flight. That doesn't mean you can't try to negotiate for it. Just don't hold your breath.
paul

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 4:38 pm    Post subject: signing a teaching contract Reply with quote

Lawyertood is correct. I certainly don't want to mislead any new teachers to SK. However, when I say you "gain everything" by coming over here before you sign a contract, I simply mean that you gain peace of mind. A few schools will reimburse you for your initial flight at the end of your first contract, in addition to paying for a visa run to Japan. You can also think of the visa run as a cultural pay-off for your flight over.
Either way, it's much wiser to be here in person before you sign a contract and I think most teachers here would agree with me on that one Cool .
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely can't disagree, heh.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: