Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blackjack

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To op. Didn't see it covered earlier but you have three months to do your medical and as mushrooms only stay in your system for ~7 days even on the off chance your hospital tests for them (highly unlikely) your system will be clear.

Good luck
Trinidad

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bish wrote:
Some strange views on here but I also think it's a good idea if the mods remove the whole thread.

Hey bish, burned any good books lately?
Troglodyte

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they are only testing blood these days, then yes, 2 weeks and you'll be clean. Marijuana will stay in your blood for about 10 days (compare it to nicotine which will stay in your blood for about 4 weeks).

That doesn't mean there'll be no traces of it in your body. Some chemicals will stick around in your fat cells longer (hence the occassional acid flashback).

I think that the OP was smart to ask on a forum. He doesn't know the situation here, so he asked others. Now he can make an informed decision. Risk it or not.

Personally, I'd say, don't do it so soon before coming. Chances are that no one will know, but it's possible you'd get found out.

And NEVER do any illegal drugs while abroad unless you're absolutely sure about the local situation. If you're in Spain or the UK and you want to light up a joint, no problem. But don't even think about it in Turkey unless you want an all inclusive holiday package at a hell hole of a prison for the next 5 years. The laws are different everywhere. And NEVER EVER EVER take any illegal (or even questionable) substance over a border.

As for the rest of the posts, this has really been a bit of a shock. Calling the guy a loser because he was considering doing mushrooms? Please.

If you consider him a loser because he uses soft drugs from time to time, then you'd be a hypocritic if you drink alcohol, smoke cigarettes or drink any cafeine product. In North America we give our kids cola and aspirin. Cafeine is a very adictive substance. Adults commonly smoke in the same room as kids.

If the problem is with the fact that he's doing something illegal, then you'd be just as hypocritical if you have pirated software or movie of the internet or if you came to a rolling stop at a stop sign or if you dropped a candybar wrapper on the sidewalk.

Is it because he was considering doing something that part of the population considers immoral? Does that mean that you'd never have sex out of wedlock? Or that you'd never tell a white lie? "I'm really sick today. I can't come in to work." (While driving to the beach.)

And who REALLY thinks that the police are going to try to track down some guy in another country who just happens to anonymously clain on a public forum that he might be thinking about doing a soft drug? Hell, I could claim that I was the second man on the grassy knoll who shot Kennedy. Do you think anyone will really investigate? Would the Korean police (assuming that they had even read this forum) go to the trouble of finding out this guy's identity even if it's not even sure that he's really going to do the mushrooms and that it won't be out of his system before they can test him? If they saw/smelled him puffing on a joint IN Korea, then ya definitely they'd nail him. But how much work do you think they're going to create for themselves considering that their labours will unlikely bear any fruit.
Reise-ohne-Ende

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Troglodyte. Nobody ever said anything about the police and I've already explained that. NOBODY is concerned about anyone getting arrested from the forum. We are concerned about people losing their jobs if potential employers (who DO read this site) see this thread and decide to look up the OP (and doing so, like I said, took me two seconds to find his picture, age, and location). That's why it's dumb to do on a public (JOB-RELATED) forum.

Your advice about drugs abroad was very interesting & helpful, btw, thanks.

Also, the punishments for drugs are infinitely harsher than for rolling through a stop sign or littering. As for pirating, it's a more complicated matter, but 1. some people think it's a political issue and do it as a form of civil disobedience, and 2. your chances of getting sued for pirating are infinitesimal. You're more likely to get struck by lightning. Not near the same amount of risk.
blackjack

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reise-ohne-Ende wrote:
Troglodyte. Nobody ever said anything about the police and I've already explained that. NOBODY is concerned about anyone getting arrested from the forum. We are concerned about people losing their jobs if potential employers (who DO read this site) see this thread and decide to look up the OP (and doing so, like I said, took me two seconds to find his picture, age, and location). That's why it's dumb to do on a public (JOB-RELATED) forum.

It was quite easy wasn't it Laughing
Perceptioncheck

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mushrooms are hardly a 'soft drug' if the OP is in NZ, where they are classed as 'type A'.

That being said, I don't believe the active ingredient is fat soluble (unlike pot) so it will remain in your system for a week max. I could be wrong on that but I had a friend years ago who had to do a weekly drug test and the only thing he could take was either acid or mushrooms. Can't remember what. I guess if I could it would make this post a whole lot more helpful. Laughing

Anyway, I think the bottom line here is that OP, you are unlikely to be tested for the active ingredient in mushrooms and even if you are it is highly unlikely you will fail unless they test you as you're coming straight off the plane.

So I say do whatever you feel like, breau. Chur. And don't worry, not everyone in Korea is as anal retentive as some of the posters on this board.
yingwenlaoshi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't mind some shrooms. Kinda make your eyes all screwed up though.
scotty12347

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yingwenlaoshi wrote:
Wouldn't mind some shrooms. Kinda make your eyes all screwed up though.

Heretic!

Lynch him!

Laughing
ippy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If its a public school job you probably will be tested coming straight off the plane. Just so you know. Its standard urine test probably for the 5 main things (opiates, thc, amphetamine, barbituates, and meth-amphetamine). LSD isnt covered by standard mass testing and usually requires a second expensive test. But seriously, its a costly plane ride home so why risk it? Smile Just get whatever it is out of your system a couple of weeks before and spend your last week getting drunk Smile
Spike

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read on another forum about someone asking if ecstacy would be out of their system in two months by the time they got to Korea..

Someone replied that it stayed in your system for a year at least, so this guy has doen 3 body cleanses now to try to speed up the process..

His paranoia is funny. I have no idea how long ecstasy actually does stay in your system - I'd guess 2 weeks - but next time someone asks anything similar, we should all respond "at least a year - you're screwed!"
Old Gil

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shrooms are great, how the governments of the world classify them is of no relation to how awesome they are.

FWIW you have 90 days from the visa start date to take the drug test and get your ARC, but during that time you are not enrolled in teh health insurance.
ChilgokBlackHole

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old Gil wrote:
Shrooms are great, how the governments of the world classify them is of no relation to how awesome they are.

I'm not your mother, but really, would you please think before you hit Submit? If this were a forum for teachers in the United States, your quote would feature prominently on the front page of the New York Times.

Yeesh. And people blame Anti English Spectrum for starting controversy...
Troglodyte

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reise-ohne-Ende wrote:

We are concerned about people losing their jobs if potential employers (who DO read this site) see this thread and decide to look up the OP (and doing so, like I said, took me two seconds to find his picture, age, and location).

I could find his age (25) and location (Aukland). I couldn't find a picture of him or his real name (presuming that Sputnik isn't his real family name). I only spent a minute googling his username and that's all i came up with. I can't see his IP address anywhere or something that could identify him. I'm sure there are plenty of 25 year old guys in Aukland. How did you search for him?
Old Gil

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChilgokBlackHole wrote:
Old Gil wrote:

I'm not your mother, but really, would you please think before you hit Submit? If this were a forum for teachers in the United States, your quote would feature prominently on the front page of the New York Times.

Yeesh. And people blame Anti English Spectrum for starting controversy...

There is nothing to be ashamed about in regards to doing drugs or enjoying them. The drugs I do partake in (marijuana and mushrooms) should be completely legal and discussed much like alcohol and nicotine consumption, seeing as they are much less harmful. I do not violate Korea's drug laws.
ChilgokBlackHole

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old Gil wrote:
There is nothing to be ashamed about in regards to doing drugs or enjoying them.

No, there's no shame in that, but if you were a 7th grade math teacher in Vermont and you posted a message saying "Hey, I love smoking pot and doing shrooms, this should be totally legal!" you absolutely, without a doubt, would not have a job the next day.

And don't even tell me there's nothing to be ashamed about when you know you wouldn't dare say "Hi, my name is Joe Smith, and I work in West Makalabuk-do, Cheonguk-gun, Kalbi-ri, at Uri-Nara Middle school. I don't break the Korean drug laws, but when I'm back in Australia / NZ / Canada / England / Ireland / South Africa / USA, I smoke a lot of marijuana and drink shroom tea like it's my job."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: