Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

paid vacations??? hmm....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gray

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 8:24 pm    Post subject: paid vacations??? hmm.... Reply with quote

hey, i just have a quick question for any of you that have worked at an ecc, or even just think you have the answer to my question. overtime at my school isn't paid out until after 144 hours......the problem with this (besides that 144 is way too high) is that on holiday days (national or just school holidays) we don't charge for the hours we would've taught. so we can teach 144 hours in say, less than four weeks, but never see overtime because of the holiday days. so we teach 8 or 9 classes a day, but it doesn't end up being overtime b/c we'll have had a couple of days off. so what exactly are paid holidays???? they seem to think that because they don't deduct money off our salary when there is a holiday, that this constitutes a paid vacation. am i wrong, or is something weird going on here? help me out. peace.
Jasmine

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know about the whole vacation thing, but most contracts pay overtime after 120 hours each month. 144 is way too damn much!!! My boyfriend and I got ours down to 100 hours/month before coming cause we thought 120 was too much!
Good luck! Very Happy
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having come from an ECC contract, you're quite right in your assumption that "paid holiday" simply means you get your normal monthly salary, despite being off for a few days.

Keep in mind that an ECC director can potentially pay you by the hour instead of by monthly salary if you even take 2 days off as "vacation". My roommate/fellow teacher took 3 days off and found his paycheck, in his words, 400,000 won less than the normal monthly stipend.

Is it biased against you? Sure. Things like this are why I didn't resign with my previous employer.

144 isn't that high, since it translates into 96 physical hours per week. It's a lot, but the 40-minute class system(you're on that, I hope, or else I'm babbling to myself) shrinks it down a lot.

At least you're not teaching at 3 different places, or teaching summer intensive courses, but having your normal class hours cut back, thereby cancelling out any potential overtime. -_-
thinker

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they don't know what a vacation is~that's why it's hard to find a place that offers a good one,

many koreans (and others too i guess) think getting on a plane going anywhere for 4 days and spending lots of money is a vacation~

what gets me is schools where the students recieve a nice long vacation, but they give the ol' ESL teacher extra whatever for weeks to make them more money while the teacher gets just the reg. salary~they just prefer to make money rather than relax and enjoy life, not just them but lots of people everywhere, too concerned about putting $ in the bank>>>
TheUrbanMyth

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thinker wrote:
what gets me is schools where the students recieve a nice long vacation, but they give the ol' ESL teacher extra whatever for weeks to make them more money while the teacher gets just the reg. salary~>>>

Why doesn't said "ol' ESL teacher" ask for his overtime money then? If your boss walks in the room and hands you your regular paycheck, then simply politely (but firmly) confront him (in private) and ask why? Don't accept and then go to bars and bitch about how you were ripped off. Talk to the guy, and if he still refuses to pay overtime, refuse to do overtime. My boss "forgot" the overtime, but when I asked him about it and showed him my schedule with the hours worked, he coughed up the cash on the spot. I'm not fully sure he "forgot" hence the quote marks, but if he was trying to rip me off, why would he pay me overtime there and then?
Anyway don't accept less than you earned. If you do, then you forfeit ALL and ANY right to complain about it.
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you understand the situation he's quoting. To be specific, I taught summer intensive courses at my hakwon last year. At the same time, many of my afternoon classes were passed to other teachers, so I wouldn't make a ridiculous amount of money. If you tried to keep your classes, you were pretty much forced to lose some anyways. There was no way to make overtime pay technically, even though you feel like you should be making some overtime in this scenario.
thinker

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i haven't accepted anything like, just saying i've gotten and seen offers like it~ Wink
TheUrbanMyth

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zyzyfer wrote:
I don't think you understand the situation he's quoting. To be specific, I taught summer intensive courses at my hakwon last year. At the same time, many of my afternoon classes were passed to other teachers, so I wouldn't make a ridiculous amount of money. If you tried to keep your classes, you were pretty much forced to lose some anyways. There was no way to make overtime pay technically, even though you feel like you should be making some overtime in this scenario.

Okay, but then the ESL teacher isn't getting "extra for whatever weeks". He is only doing his scheduled amount of hours and no more.
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2003 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody's saying it isn't legitimate. We're(I'm?) just saying it sucks.
gray

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2003 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks to those of you that responded......even if there is nothing i can do about, it's good to have people to commiserate with. i guess i should have had something put into my contract about the number of hours i would work per week, and then i wouldn't be working 45 one week, and still not seeing any overtime. oh well, all the teachers at my school are in the same boat so maybe we'll just go have a good cry into our beers...peace.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: