Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Yeah, I went to Costco today
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sojusucks

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:26 am    Post subject: Yeah, I went to Costco today Reply with quote

I was there at 10:30-11:00 am and it was MOBBED. Milwaukeedave, and others, can you verify this claim- Costo is much more crowded than ever.
I've been in Korea for a few years and it seems like Costco is becoming more crowded as we speak. Koreans must be discovering the prices and selection. I know that some of my students are aware of Costco, though, it won't surprise any of you, it's because of the food court.

The biggest sale, according to a scientific survery that involved me checking other carts, was the 2,000 off for a plastic bottle of Mini- Mentos. That cut the price from about 10,000 to 8,000. That's 20% off. Wow. I also grabbed a box of Oreos (10 packs of 10+ Oreos) for about 11,000 won. That's much cheaper than the price in other store. For the free samples, they were giving away samples of potato chips, cookies, and cheese. The chips were the only thing I seriously considered buying. Those were great. Did anyone else try them?
I did ask the female Costco employees at the entrance for another green book, (the Costco quarterly coupon book), and they were happy to give me one. Anyone can ask for one of these books. Those books are good for helping you plan your shopping at Costco. For example, these are the coupons for 4/25-5/1:
3,500 off Fruit by the Foot
50,000 off a Whalen Cardiff bookcase
9,000 off a Joseph Joseph cutting board set
4,000 off Red Ginseng drink
4,000 off Aveeno Body Wash
4,00 off L'oreal Hydrafresh Aqua essence gel cream
2,500 off box Crispi Roll 12 Grain
2,500 off Souffle Cheese Cake in the bakery section.
You can get those prices even if you don't have the green book. They take it off automatically at the checkout.

Finally, yes, it was crowded at the food court. It was 11 am and all of the cashiers had lines of at leat 10 people. The Korean women in front of me ordered 50 pizzas. Good luck with that one. Luckily I was there for a few chicken Caesar salads. Yes, I like them. BTW, always get the packets of relish. They are free and you can use them at home on hot dogs and with tuna salad.
One of the stranger things that has happened to me at Costco happened today. I was in the frozen section, grabbing some hash browns, and a Korean woman offered some advice. That doesn't happen too often in Korea. She said that the Kirkland Brand chicken nuggets were a good deal. They are the frozen nuggets with Mickey Mouse on the package. Yeah, I got a bag of the chicken nuggets. Why not? After all, don't we all love chicken nuggets?And isn't the dipping sauce just as important as the nuggets? I have some Miso dressing from Costco and it's a great dipping sauce.

So, expect big crowds and expect to have to deal with long lines at Costco this weekend. But get those Mentos and your chicken Ceasar salads.
plato's republic

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost every second thread you post on here concerns Costco. It's starting to sound like you're obsessed with the place. Anything else you do in your free time besides grocery shopping? Smile
Burndog

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume that this is your application for this?

http://forums.eslcafe.com/korea/viewtopic.php?t=203878&start=0
tiger fancini

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a HomePlus guy myself.
sojusucks

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Burndog wrote:

I'm just trying to share shopping deals and some shopping advice with my fellow teachers in Korea. When we pool our information about prices and deals it benefits everyone. Isn't the main benefit of boards like this one the fact that we can share information about living in Korea and that helps everyone? I know I'm not the only one who does this. Doesn't it help everyone to know where to shop and what's on sale at the present time?
sojusucks

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plato's republic wrote:
Almost every second thread you post on here concerns Costco. It's starting to sound like you're obsessed with the place. Anything else you do in your free time besides grocery shopping? Smile

Working out, going to museums and art galleries, and watching youtube. What about you? BTW, I like GIRLS, so keep things above board, if you know what I mean. LOL
sojusucks

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tiger fancini wrote:

There are deals at every store. I usually start at Costco and do most of my shopping there. Then I go to Lotte Mart for coffee, E-Mart for candy, ice cream, and yogurt, and HomePlus for other things.
RMNC

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carbs, carbs, carbs.
tiger fancini

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sojusucks wrote:
tiger fancini wrote:

There are deals at every store. I usually start at Costco and do most of my shopping there. Then I go to Lotte Mart for coffee, E-Mart for candy, ice cream, and yogurt, and HomePlus for other things.

Not impressed with the Lotte Mart near me. The layout and design is all wrong. I like the classic big-hall-with-long-aisles-and-checkouts-at-the-end-the-aisle style. Lotte Mart tried to go post-modern, and pi$$ed me off in the process. And Homeplus has better music playing as I stroll around.
plato's republic

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP,

I don't know what "juice" you're sipping, but you seriously misread what I wrote, or don't have much in the way of a sense of humor. And my point still stands. You post about grocery shopping all the time on here. Yeah, some people may appreciate a heads up regarding special offers on certain products at Emart/Homeplus/Costco (myself included), but I don't really see what the point of this post was. Any Costco members can find out about deals themselves.

Secondly, what did I say that wasn't above board? Do enlighten me Rolling Eyes
decolyon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you load up on junk food like you did last week?

sojusucks wrote:
Quote:
I also grabbed a box of Oreos (10 packs of 10+ Oreos)
Luckily I was there for a few chicken Caesar salads.
Yeah, I got a bag of the chicken nuggets.

Oh, it appears you did Rolling Eyes

Costco is good for furniture and occasionally electronics. As for food, I'll stick to my corner veggie stands and fish markets any day.

For dinner tonight I'm planning a nice pan-seared halibut steak, bathed in lemon and basil. For sides I'll have steamed asparagus with fresh cracked black pepper and dijon mustard and a serving of minced apples in brown rice with just a dusting of cinnamon. All this will be accompanied by a glass (or two) of a 96 Australian pinot noir I came across at Hyundai Dept. Store last week.
Burndog

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sojusucks wrote:
Burndog wrote:

I'm just trying to share shopping deals and some shopping advice with my fellow teachers in Korea. When we pool our information about prices and deals it benefits everyone. Isn't the main benefit of boards like this one the fact that we can share information about living in Korea and that helps everyone? I know I'm not the only one who does this. Doesn't it help everyone to know where to shop and what's on sale at the present time?

It's all good mate...I just think it's worth submitting...it's EXACTLY the sort of thing that they would like (might want to remove the sections where you mention that it's crowded though...wouldn't want anything too negative in there...no chance they'll choose your blog if you tell the truth like that).
DorkothyParker

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please describe to me what you do with these oreos.

In detail.
matthews_world

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, we need to start a Sojusuck's Costco Excursion Pool thread on here.
timolein23

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoy reading about your costco escapades. Keep it up!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 1 of 11

Jump to: