Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Poison for bed bugs?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MoneyMike

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:14 pm    Post subject: Poison for bed bugs? Reply with quote

When I was taking my bedsheets off to give them a wash last weekend, I found a dead bug on the bed, under the sheets. I'm pretty sure it was a bed bug.

Since then, I've checked in every crack and crevice in my apartment, and I can't find any more. I had them once in university, so I know the places to look. I've checked pretty thoroughly, and nada, which is weird, cuz I wouldn't ever expect there to just be one. Also, I haven't woken up with any bites.

Anyways, I'm wondering if there's any insecticide I can get and use myself that will kill bed bugs. I'd like to put some down around the edges of my walls, and around the bottom of the stand my bed sits on. This way, if there are other bed bugs in my apartment I'll know, since I'll find the bodies, and if it just wandered in from a neighbors apartment I'd like to make sure no more do the same.
Swampfox10mm

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's truly a bedbug, it is a very serious matter.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2612614/

I suggest calling the International Clinic at Yonsei Severance Hospital for help in English. I believe some people there can point you to where you may find help/information/assistance.

You can also dial 1339 (yes, just 4 digits) on your phone for health information/assistance. They might know something. That is a gov't number.
J Rock

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Burn the bed! My brother had a bedbug problem when he was at Michigan State and they just threw out all the mattresses.
skookum

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:52 am    Post subject: Paradichlorobenzine Reply with quote

When I was in Mysore, India, some years ago I found the little critters nibbling on my elbows at night. I put mothballs under the mattress and had no more problems.
brucebruce

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would second burn the bed. If you want to keep it I would hire a professional exterminator to handle the issue.
MoneyMike

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I can find that there are definitely more bedbugs I'll get rid of the bed for sure. But that doesn't solve my problem, as bed bugs don't just live in beds, also in cracks in walls, behind books in bookshelves, inside PC cases, etc.

Actually I was planning on getting a new mattress soon anyways, but I need to make sure I don't have an infestation before I bring it in. Still have had no bites, and still can't find another damn bug. When I had them before they were quite easy to find if you knew where to look...
young_clinton

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MoneyMike wrote:
If I can find that there are definitely more bedbugs I'll get rid of the bed for sure. But that doesn't solve my problem, as bed bugs don't just live in beds, also in cracks in walls, behind books in bookshelves, inside PC cases, etc.

Actually I was planning on getting a new mattress soon anyways, but I need to make sure I don't have an infestation before I bring it in. Still have had no bites, and still can't find another damn bug. When I had them before they were quite easy to find if you knew where to look...

If you have no bites, I would check your house thoroughly including mattress and luggage and clothing and wait and see if you start getting bites. It was probably a lone bedbug from somewhere. I have seen lone bedbugs without an infestation. The problem is the lone little bugger might have laid eggs. So just wait and see if you get bites or if you start seeing little bed bugs around.
MoneyMike

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess that's all I can really do.
Internacular

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woke up with some bites this weekend that may or may not be from bed bugs. Hoping for the best, but does anybody have exterminator recommendations here in Seoul?
World Traveler

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's bites, it's probably bed bugs. (There aren't mosquitoes this time of year.) Did the bites feel like mosquito bites, only hurt like hell and itch like crazy? Are any of the bites lined in a row?

Bed bugs have been spreading in Seoul lately (no idea what's causing it...picked up from brothels and then spread across buildings?) going by what I've been hearing lately. It's a serious matter. They are hard to get rid of. You might have to throw away your clothes and move.
MoneyMike

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll never have to throw your clothes out if you've got bed bugs. Just wash them in hot water, it kills the buggers. If it IS bed bugs though, the mattress has got to go. They can't put the poison on the mattress, (would be bad for your health or something, not allowed in Canada anyways) and those little b******s will get all up inside that mattress.

Also, if you're using an exterminator, you have to make sure it's one that knows how to deal with bed bugs specifically. If you get a guy who comes in and fumigates that isn't going to kill them. (Unless he's using DDT, I don't know whether or not that's still in use in Korea)

Good luck man. Sucks getting bed bugs.
bbud656

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best way to kill bed bugs is with heat. They are pretty much indestructible against anything besides that and DDT. If you have a tiny place, try cranking the heat during the day. You have to get it up above 120f, for over an hour. Not sure if that is possible in the spring with floor heat. I had them in college and put everything I owned in my car and blasted the heater on a hot day. My roommates paid 1,000 dollars to have a guy heat blast every room in the house.
Dazed and Confused

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The good news is DDT is sold in Korea but only in very small quantities. You'll have to go around to the flower shops in your neighbourhood to find it.
Internacular

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

World Traveler wrote:
If it's bites, it's probably bed bugs. (There aren't mosquitoes this time of year.) Did the bites feel like mosquito bites, only hurt like hell and itch like crazy? Are any of the bites lined in a row?

Bed bugs have been spreading in Seoul lately (no idea what's causing it...picked up from brothels and then spread across buildings?) going by what I've been hearing lately. It's a serious matter. They are hard to get rid of. You might have to throw away your clothes and move.

The bites don't really itch, though they are definitely tender to the touch. They do generally follow the 3 line, row. There are 3 clusters of 3 located on my right hip. None on the arms/legs/face/torso as of now. One odd thing is that the clusters vary from one to the other. One cluster is more pronounced/red/white, and the other less so.

I talked to my neighbor and she said they have actually had some mosquitoes this early on. Saw some spiders/mites underneath the wood flooring when I pulled some up, too. Could it be them? Haven't seen any excrement, blood or the bugs themselves. Sorta hoping for more physical evidence (I'll take a few more bites in exchange for being able to move on with this whole thing) before I go into full court press mode.
young_clinton

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Paradichlorobenzine Reply with quote

skookum wrote:
When I was in Mysore, India, some years ago I found the little critters nibbling on my elbows at night. I put mothballs under the mattress and had no more problems.

That stuff is not good for you. When you put them in clothing you are always supposed to air out the clothing to get the fumes out before you wear it. I wouldn't be breathing that stuff all night long.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: