Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Traveling SE Asia, advice?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Donkey

Location: Somewhere drinking, smoking and using foul language

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 8:34 pm    Post subject: Traveling SE Asia, advice? Reply with quote

Ok, so it looks like I am going to have about 3 weeks to travel when I am done here in Korea. I really want to get to Thailand, (have to get tattooed by the Buddist monks), but I dont feel like spending 3 weeks in Thailand. So I am looking to go elsewhere in SE Asia. Was thinking maybe Laos or even Hong Kong (Vietnam is out of the question). Looking for some ideas and travel tips. Any info would be great, as well as travel agent info.
thanks
Donkey
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hong Kong is really nice, especially if you want to shop. But I wouldn't recommend going there for a long time.

Why is Vietnam out of the question? Due to the need for a visa?

Malaysia and Singapore are also interesting destinations, Singapore being a similar case as with Hong Kong(good for short stays), and Malaysia being dirt dirt DIRT cheap.

There's a lot to do in Thailand, as well. If you want to beach out, that's where it's at. If you want to drink yourself under the table, that's where it's at. If you want to score 10 of them special-like womenses, that's where it's at. And so on...
The Lemon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got back from a three week trip to Malaysia, Singapore, and Thailand the day before yesterday. The highlight of the trip, by far, was five days in the Perhentian Islands off the coast of Malaysia. Incredible place - beautiful resort - all for less than $30 a day including wonderful food.

Oh yeah- 737 flights from Kuala Lumpur to Kota Bharu, near where you take the boat to the islands- cost about $15 (39RM), one way, on Air Asia (www.airasia.com).

Any questions, just post 'em here. Smile
The Donkey

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zyzyfer wrote:

Why is Vietnam out of the question? Due to the need for a visa?

My old man visited Vietnam for a year. I wouldnt go there as a tourist unless he went back with me, and he has no desire to do so. So its out of respect to him.

Thanks for the responses guys. I looked up a round the world ticket today that I might try to get. Seoul to Bankok, to Kah Samuia to Laos to Hong Kong to New York. Great thing is my school is going to give me cash for an airline ticket home, ($1200 US last time I looked) and the RTW ticket is $1500 US.

I will definetly look into those places.

Thanks
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 12:05 am    Post subject: Re: Traveling SE Asia, advice? Reply with quote

The Donkey wrote:
Ok, so it looks like I am going to have about 3 weeks to travel when I am done here in Korea. I really want to get to Thailand, (have to get tattooed by the Buddist monks), but I dont feel like spending 3 weeks in Thailand. So I am looking to go elsewhere in SE Asia. Was thinking maybe Laos or even Hong Kong (Vietnam is out of the question). Looking for some ideas and travel tips. Any info would be great, as well as travel agent info.
thanks
Donkey

3 weeks is not enough to see Thailand. You will not get bored. Laos is of course right next to Thailand, so it would be super easy to just include it in part of your 3 week trip. Just go from Chiang Mia to Vientanne. You can do this by bus.

Hong Kong.. for some reason I've been there twice. Once was defientely enough. You will get bored in Hong Kong after about 3 days. If you must see it, try to book some airline that has a layover in Hong Kong on your way to Bangkok.

Hong Kong is kind of like Seoul. If you are working there its kind of nice. But as a tourist its not that great, plus its kind of expensive as well.. especially compared to Thailand.

Vietnam is my favorite country down there, but I can understand your legitimate reasons for giving it a miss.
The Donkey

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2003 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like I will be able to kick in SE Asia for a month now. Thailand, Laos, and Maylasia. Lemon, I think I will take your advice and throw down in Perhentian Islands. My plan is to get tattooed in each country. Monk tats in Thailand, tradtional tats in Maylasi (I know of a shop there) and I want to see the face tats of the women in Laos. If anyone knows of where and how to get tats down and around there, please let me know.
Thanks.
4 months left

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wicked Islands about 4 hours from Bali called the Gilli Islands, learned to scuba dive there.
saw6436

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 9:51 am    Post subject: Saigon and the Mekong rule!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Reply with quote

I can't speak for Hanoi but Saigon rules!! I've done alot of traveling and by far my favorite place is Saigon. Dirty, Chaiotic, Dangerous, Beautiful, Lively, Enchanting. Saigon is the place.
My father lost his lower jaw there (steel does wonder) but i don't care about that. I hit Saigon and fell in love with it. Just my opinion.
Blue Flower

Location: The realisation that I only have to endure two more weeks in this filthy, perverted, nasty place!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Traveling SE Asia, advice? Reply with quote

The Donkey wrote:
I really want to get to Thailand, (have to get tattooed by the Buddist monks

Whats this about tats by Buddhist monks???? Wow, that would be amazing. I know this is completely off topic, but what sort of tats do they do? I have been dreaming for years of a lotus tat on my lower back with um mani padme hum (sp?) written underneath it in Tibetan. I thought it would never happen due to the complete lack of buddhist tatooists in NZ.
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Saigon and the Mekong rule!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Reply with quote

saw6436 wrote:
I can't speak for Hanoi but Saigon rules!! I've done alot of traveling and by far my favorite place is Saigon. Dirty, Chaiotic, Dangerous, Beautiful, Lively, Enchanting. Saigon is the place.
My father lost his lower jaw there (steel does wonder) but i don't care about that. I hit Saigon and fell in love with it. Just my opinion.

I agree!!! SAIGON does KICK ASS!! Its one of my most favorite cities as well..

Actually, since you asked about HANOI.. its quite similar, but alot smaller, and slightly less chaotic.. still all the honking of motorbikes everywhere though..

Hanoi is also very leafy and trees EVERYWHERE! Its a really beautiful place.. plus the winters it actually cools down.. but there are tradeoffs.. Hanoi is slightly sleepy.. but still in-your-face vietnamese.. where SAIGON is just pulsing and throbbing in-your-face VIETNAM!

Generally, I find Vietnam is really hard for greenhorn westerners to take to.. but anyone who has spent some time in Korea.. seems to take to it right away and fall in love with the place.. I know I have..
The Donkey

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Traveling SE Asia, advice? Reply with quote

Blue Flower wrote:
The Donkey wrote:
I really want to get to Thailand, (have to get tattooed by the Buddist monks

Whats this about tats by Buddhist monks???? Wow, that would be amazing. I know this is completely off topic, but what sort of tats do they do? I have been dreaming for years of a lotus tat on my lower back with um mani padme hum (sp?) written underneath it in Tibetan. I thought it would never happen due to the complete lack of buddhist tatooists in NZ.

The monks do work at a temple outside of Bangkok. Dont think you have an option of what they give you. A friend had a piece done by them, some spiritual markings on this lower neck. they use a 20 inch long shaft of silver with a sharped tip on it and pound the ink into your skin. If I am able to get it done I will tell you all about it.
Squaffy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try a trek in Nepal - like to Everest base camp - stay in monasteries along the way - its fab - best journey i ever took donk Cool
richinkorea

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best advice I can think of.

Three weeks is to short, take three months !!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

What's the rush ? Going to another job or something ?

You can easily get by on $1,000 USD a month in SEA. Check out Thai (of course), Cambodia, Laos, maybe Burma. Vietnam is great too, but I understand your reasons for not wanting to go there.

Indonesia was great a couple of years ago, anyone been lately ?

Malaysia and Singapore are OK, bit pricier and modern. I think you have to take your own booze to the Perhentian Islands, lotsa of Thai islands without the hangups.

I'm jealous
gang ah jee

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure you brush up on your Japanese before you go.

have fun Donkey!
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 3:59 am    Post subject: Indonesia Reply with quote

richinkorea wrote:
Indonesia was great a couple of years ago, anyone been lately ?

Well, maybe it was the same as you.. it would have been JULY 2001.. Suharto was basically getting kicked out of power.. I was there when there were TONS of warnings NOT to go to Indonesia.. and some small riots.. none of which I saw.. it wasn't bad though..

Went to Jakarta, Bogor, Bandung, Yogjakarta, Malang and Mount Bromo. Completely missed Bali unfortunately. I thought I'd be back to spend more time.. and ended up leaving and not going back..

Feelings on Indonesia? Hmm.. so-so.. glad I went!! Not sure if I'd return though.. probably not.. some people love it though.. particularly Aussie friends..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: