Site Search:
 
Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

American rapes Korean woman in JimJJilbang
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Old Gil



Joined: 26 Sep 2009
Location: Got out! olleh!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trevor wrote:


because they happen ALL THE TIME.



Bull....[Mod Edit].
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bacasper



Joined: 26 Mar 2007

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old Gil wrote:
Trevor wrote:


because they happen ALL THE TIME.



Bullshit.

I don't think he literally means in every single instance, but he would be right to say that they do happen with great frequency.
Quote:

three main reasons that women make false claims of this sort and all men should know and be aware of them, because they happen ALL THE TIME.

They are:

1. To get attention
2. To get revenge
3. To get some sort of perceived social benefit

To these three should be added a fourth: to deflect blame, or guilt, or responsibility for something that happened which they were compliant with, but later decided they felt uncomfortable about. Alcohol is often involved.


Last edited by bacasper on Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:24 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Trevor



Joined: 16 Nov 2005

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.ipt-forensics.com/journal/volume6/j6_2_4.htm


Quote:
Consult also a recent development, DNA testing, which is now becoming routine in rape investigations (Krajik, 1993). Also routine is the discovery that a third of the DNA scans produce non-matches. Consequently, a growing number of men are not only gaining acquittals but are also being released from prison.


Quote:
"Alan Dershowitz's experience with an esoteric definition of sexual harassment also raises questions about false allegations in this newly-defined but widely publicized crime. Skeptical checking has revealed that, as with rape, the percentage of unfounded accusations of sexual harassment may reach astonishingly high levels. That was the claim of Randy Daniels, whose confirmation for New York City's Deputy Mayor was almost derailed by a sexual harassment charge he was able to refute. To see whether his experience was relatively rare, Daniels checked with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission. He found that in 1991, the EEOC investigated or mediated 2119 cases of sexual harassment and found that 59% were determined to have no cause (Daniels, 1993, p. 1). Since the Hill/Thomas affair they have gone up sharply up 64% in one year but so have false allegations, remaining steadily in the plus 50% range."


Old Gil wrote:
Trevor wrote:


because they happen ALL THE TIME.



Bullshit.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Julius



Joined: 27 Jul 2006

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There has been nothing more on this in the media. Only the one initial brief report in that local paper.

If it had actually ocurred, it would've been major news already.
I'm guessing it was a false accusation and the man was later discharged.
Or perhaps the woman involved dropped charges / admitted it was consensual.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Old Gil



Joined: 26 Sep 2009
Location: Got out! olleh!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once again, ALL THE TIME is BS.

Let assume:

33% of DNA evidence in one study came back negative on rape.

59% of sexual harrasment (this is however not relevant) is determined to be false.

SO

Please explain how this relates to false accusation of RAPE happening ALL THE TIME !!!11!!

It happens more often than most rape victim advocates would like to admit but ALL THE TIME is just ridiculous.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Fox



Joined: 04 Mar 2009

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old Gil wrote:
Once again, ALL THE TIME is BS.

Let assume:

33% of DNA evidence in one study came back negative on rape.

59% of sexual harrasment (this is however not relevant) is determined to be false.

SO

Please explain how this relates to false accusation of RAPE happening ALL THE TIME !!!11!!

It happens more often than most rape victim advocates would like to admit but ALL THE TIME is just ridiculous.


Well, I remember hearing something like, "A woman is raped every 6 minutes in America." If 33% of those rapes are really false, that would mean a man is falsely accused of rape every 18 minutes in America.

I don't think it's entirely unreasonable to use the rhetorical device "X happens all the time," (which really just means "X happens a lot.") with regards to something that was happening every 18 minutes on a perpetual basis.

Of course either the 33% figure or the every 6 minutes figure could be wrong.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bacasper



Joined: 26 Mar 2007

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old Gil wrote:
Once again, ALL THE TIME is BS.

Let assume:

33% of DNA evidence in one study came back negative on rape.

59% of sexual harrasment (this is however not relevant) is determined to be false.

SO

Please explain how this relates to false accusation of RAPE happening ALL THE TIME !!!11!!

It happens more often than most rape victim advocates would like to admit but ALL THE TIME is just ridiculous.

Stop being so obtusely literal. "All the time" does NOT mean "every time." If something happens once a day and doesn't happen ten times a day, it still happens "all the time" (as in "every day") in common parlance.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TheUrbanMyth



Joined: 28 Jan 2003
Location: Retired

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox wrote:
Kuros wrote:
I'm enjoying watching this Dave's Kangaroo Court try to sort this out. Its like a giant Rorshach test of prejudice and projection. Although it is a bit degrading to the actual participants of the drama, but when has that ever stopped the all-knowing power of the INTERNET!!!


Indeed, speculation over whether a given Korean news story is being portrayed accurately or twisted into anti-foreigner propaganda is a ridiculous thing for foreigners in Korea to engage in. We should simply take what is presented in the Korean news at face value, because discussions on the internet are inherently worthy of ridicule.


However if the Korean media had reported a story about a female foreigner being raped by a Korean male you can bet that most people here would be taking it at face value. (This actually did indeed happen and was a big story on these boards just last year.)

Since it's the other way around we now have people suggesting that the Korean woman was attacked by a Korean man and the foreigner just happened to get blamed for it. Or that it was consensual and a Korean man happened to see it and screamed rape. In either case the villain is always the same.

That said, the Korean media is often trashy. However speculating on this case is (as Mr. Kuros rightly observed) just silly until we have more facts.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Old Gil



Joined: 26 Sep 2009
Location: Got out! olleh!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bacasper wrote:

Stop being so obtusely literal. "All the time" does NOT mean "every time." If something happens once a day and doesn't happen ten times a day, it still happens "all the time" (as in "every day") in common parlance.


I'm not being literal. 'All the time' just should not be used, it's vague and in this case inflammatory.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Fox



Joined: 04 Mar 2009

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheUrbanMyth wrote:
Fox wrote:
Kuros wrote:
I'm enjoying watching this Dave's Kangaroo Court try to sort this out. Its like a giant Rorshach test of prejudice and projection. Although it is a bit degrading to the actual participants of the drama, but when has that ever stopped the all-knowing power of the INTERNET!!!


Indeed, speculation over whether a given Korean news story is being portrayed accurately or twisted into anti-foreigner propaganda is a ridiculous thing for foreigners in Korea to engage in. We should simply take what is presented in the Korean news at face value, because discussions on the internet are inherently worthy of ridicule.


However if the Korean media had reported a story about a female foreigner being raped by a Korean male you can bet that most people here would be taking it at face value. (This actually did indeed happen and was a big story on these boards just last year.)


Probably. The primary reason people are speculating about the story is because the Korean media has a reputation for bias against foreigners, and thus the speculation is about how that may have affected the manner in which the case was reported.

TheUrbanMyth wrote:
That said, the Korean media is often trashy. However speculating on this case is (as Mr. Kuros rightly observed) just silly until we have more facts.


It's just a casual discussion. I don't think chatting about it is silly at all. I agree it's unlikely to come to any definitive conclusions, but so what? Neither do almost any of the conversations that happen here.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Trevor



Joined: 16 Nov 2005

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is interesting that the only substance you bring to your argument is the use of a commonly used figure of speech -- 'all the time' -- which is hardly inflammatory, particularly if it happens every 18 minutes.

In terms of the underlying numbers as well as the glaring statistics that perhaps more than 50% of all claims may indeed be false, you have nothing of substance to offer.

Meanwhile, there is nothing in the press about the underlying case we have been discussing, so perhaps we can assume that the accusation was withdrawn or dismissed and that it can go under the heading of something that occurs all the...err...every 18 minutes Wink


Old Gil wrote:
bacasper wrote:

Stop being so obtusely literal. "All the time" does NOT mean "every time." If something happens once a day and doesn't happen ten times a day, it still happens "all the time" (as in "every day") in common parlance.


I'm not being literal. 'All the time' just should not be used, it's vague and in this case inflammatory.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Old Gil



Joined: 26 Sep 2009
Location: Got out! olleh!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trevor wrote:
It is interesting that the only substance you bring to your argument is the use of a commonly used figure of speech -- 'all the time' -- which is hardly inflammatory, particularly if it happens every 18 minutes.

In terms of the underlying numbers as well as the glaring statistics that perhaps more than 50% of all claims may indeed be false, you have nothing of substance to offer.

Meanwhile, there is nothing in the press about the underlying case we have been discussing, so perhaps we can assume that the accusation was withdrawn or dismissed and that it can go under the heading of something that occurs all the...err...every 18 minutes Wink




Wonderful logic. They have yet to report anything further, ergo she lied about being raped. Over 50%? Where are you getting these numbers? Also show me the where you go that 'every 18 minutes' claim, as you just conflated two sets of data, one that had nothing to do with rape.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Trevor



Joined: 16 Nov 2005

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
They have yet to report anything further, ergo she lied about being raped.


Read my post (above) I didn't say that, you did.

Quote:
Over 50%? Where are you getting these numbers?


Read the citation I linked to above.

Quote:
Also show me the where you go that 'every 18 minutes' claim,


Read Fox's post (above)

Anything else? I can't help but notice that you still haven't offered anything of substance in terms of a refutation.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Reggie



Joined: 21 Sep 2009

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Likewise, we shouldn't jump to conclusions that the guy raped her. What kind of girl gets drunk and goes with a stranger into a building where dudes get naked? We don't know if a rape did or didn't happen but, based on the information given, I think we should stay open-minded to either possibility.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Old Gil



Joined: 26 Sep 2009
Location: Got out! olleh!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reggie wrote:
Likewise, we shouldn't jump to conclusions that the guy raped her. What kind of girl gets drunk and goes with a stranger into a building where dudes get naked? We don't know if a rape did or didn't happen but, based on the information given, I think we should stay open-minded to either possibility.


I mean the paper says one thing...BUT SHE WAS (maybe) angling FOR AN ATTEMPT AT SEX, MEANING ANY PENETRATION WAS SUBCONSCIOUSLY ASKED FOR.

too many cocks on the daves
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


This page is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Contact Dave's ESL Cafe
Copyright © 2018 Dave Sperling. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International