Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Visa Issuance
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alphalfa

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 11:12 pm    Post subject: pay for visa run... Reply with quote

According to the FAQ thread regarding 'visa runs', the moderator states that

"the usual destination is Osaka(Japan) but your employer will tell you what to do and where to go, they should also pay for your flight and accommodation to wherever they send you to obtain a visa."

In a recent interview I had with Seoul Education Training Institute(SETI) which is associated with the Seoul Metropolitan Office of Education, I was told by the supervisor that I(me) would have to pay the airfare TO Japan and they(SETI) would pay for the RETURN airfare.

This sounds to me like I have to pay for the R/T airfare and that SETI would reinburse me for the return portion of the airfare-most likely at the END of the contract.

I've never heard of such a thing. I suppose I can play their game by asking them -- What, am I suppose to wait in Japan for them to send me the ticket so that I can return to Korea?

Is what they are asking from me legal?
Can and should the authorities be notified of SETI's policy on visa runs?

Thanks.
ELM

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:40 am    Post subject: Background Check Reply with quote

My friend and I have been working on getting all of our paperwork in order to apply for our E-2 visas and have been stuck on the background check. We live in San Diego and are having a hard time figuring out exactly what kind of background check is sufficient and where to get it done. Does anyone know the process in San Diego?
lhchea

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know how long you can be in Korea without a visa with just a US passport?

I have a one way ticket...are they going to ask me when I will be leaving the country and if I have a plane ticket?
Carla

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lhchea wrote:
Does anyone know how long you can be in Korea without a visa with just a US passport?

I have a one way ticket...are they going to ask me when I will be leaving the country and if I have a plane ticket?

US is 3 months on a tourist visa, do not plan on working on a tourist visa (don't know you are, just warning because some schools tell you that you can).

Different people experience different things. Technically, you have to have a ticket out when you get to Korea (and most other countries) if you are entering on a tourist visa. It is the airlines responsibility to return you back home if you are refused entry into your destination country. Because of this, everytime I've been to any country on a tourist visa, my originating airport verified my outbownd ticket. Some people have never had this happen, but they have been verified by Korea immigration (I have never been verified in Korea. Some people say they have not been checked at all. One person said they were checked in Korea, but didn't have it, but the immigration officer was nice and let them slide.

So, you're suppose to have some sort of outbound ticket, but you may or may not be checked.
morrisonhotel

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just because wrote:

Since when????? Mine always has been, original and notarised.

Just to confirm: does the certificate have to be notarised if it is the original? There seems to be so much mis-information about this kind of thing.
Carla

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

morrisonhotel wrote:
just because wrote:

Since when????? Mine always has been, original and notarised.

Just to confirm: does the certificate have to be notarised if it is the original? There seems to be so much mis-information about this kind of thing.

You're degree? No, only copies have to be notarized AND apostilled. The purpose of the apostille is basically to verify on the federal level that the notary is valid.
morrisonhotel

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edit: deleted and osted elsewhere to get a quicker answer.

Last edited by morrisonhotel on Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:08 am; edited 1 time in total
morrisonhotel

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carla wrote:
You're degree? No, only copies have to be notarized AND apostilled. The purpose of the apostille is basically to verify on the federal level that the notary is valid.

That's what I thought, but so many total tubes think it's amusing to spread mis-information online.
lhchea

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an update for US citizens..

I called the Korean Consulate here and the rule used to be that you only got 30 days in Korea without a visa.

It has since changed and now you can be in Korea as a tourist WITHOUT a visa at all for up to 90 days.
Carla

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lhchea wrote:
Just an update for US citizens..

I called the Korean Consulate here and the rule used to be that you only got 30 days in Korea without a visa.

It has since changed and now you can be in Korea as a tourist WITHOUT a visa at all for up to 90 days.

Ya, that happened a little while back. It was only 30 days, because Koreans couldn't come to the US without a visa at all. So, they worked out a new agreement that Americans could come without a visa for 90 days, and Koreans can go to the US without a visa for I think 30 days.
Canuckophile

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 5:22 pm    Post subject: Question on C4 (camp ) Visas Reply with quote

Somewhere (but I can't find it now) on Dave's it says you need a 'little blue form' to get your E2 visa.

Does that come from Immigration?

I'm doing a camp at a uni this summer that hasn't processed these C4's before.

They are telling me I need ONLY
My diploma
My criminal record check (with apostille)
My resume
Their Contract
Their Business Registration Number

DOES THIS SOUND RIGHT? (I am a bit puzzled because I don't even see 'transcripts' - maybe they go to Immigration in Korea?)

The uni says they've talked to Immigration and Immigration says they do not provide ANY documents in advance for me to take to the Korean Consulate overseas..

I am planning a trip to Mongolia to get the visa and I sure don't want to get there and find out I don't have correct documents.

Trip coming up soon so FAST ADVICE appreciated.

Thanks,
CANUCKOPHILE
sandcat

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Question on C4 (camp ) Visas Reply with quote

Canuckophile wrote:
Somewhere (but I can't find it now) on Dave's it says you need a 'little blue form' to get your E2 visa.

Does that come from Immigration?

I'm doing a camp at a uni this summer that hasn't processed these C4's before.

They are telling me I need ONLY
My diploma
My criminal record check (with apostille)
My resume
Their Contract
Their Business Registration Number

DOES THIS SOUND RIGHT? (I am a bit puzzled because I don't even see 'transcripts' - maybe they go to Immigration in Korea?)

The uni says they've talked to Immigration and Immigration says they do not provide ANY documents in advance for me to take to the Korean Consulate overseas..

I am planning a trip to Mongolia to get the visa and I sure don't want to get there and find out I don't have correct documents.

Trip coming up soon so FAST ADVICE appreciated.

Thanks,
CANUCKOPHILE

I've seen "criminal record check" mentioned a few times in regards to work visas. Five years ago I got arrested for possession of marijuana, and got it dismissed on court costs and expunged from my record. However, before the record was expunged I was arrested again for minor in possession of alcohol. Because of the previous charge I was unable to do a diversion class and therefore the alcohol charge is permanently on my record. Are my dumb decisions from my freshman year of college going to prevent me from teaching English in Korea?

EDIT: Done some additional research, looks like I'm basically screwed. Anyone know how well the out of state loophole works? I live in Massachusetts so I'm basically a stone's throw from five other states. Would I be able to get away with having a Massachusetts degree and a Rhode Island CRC? Any info is appreciated because right now I feel like my dreams have been crushed into dust.
Canuckophile

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:53 pm    Post subject: CRC can usually come from anywhere Reply with quote

You might be OK - just get to the next state, do the Criminal Record Check, and send in the documents to immigration. However, you may want to make sure you can use something as a 'legal address' in that state (a relative would be handy).

CANUCKOPHILE
sandcat

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My grandmother lives in New York. Does that work?
Canuckophile

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:51 am    Post subject: yes Reply with quote

ANY PLACE in the US works as long as you can get a quick criminal record check with apostille (Korea also wants them notarized now - it is a pain)

So check out NY's apostille system - and chat up granny I guess. I suspect you will want to put her address as your permanent US address on resume and other documents - I don't think it's 'necessary' but it could avert questions

CANUCKOPHILE
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: