Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Beer beer beer
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Seoulman69

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:18 pm    Post subject: Beer beer beer Reply with quote

Hey folks,

Was in Homeplus the other day and had a look at the beers. I've read that the OB brewery also makes the Budweiser. Some say it is the same. I've never drank both side by side so can't comment. I did notice the Hoegarden is also made by OB. The Hoegarden tastes good which got me wondering, why doesn't a Korean company make a widely available wheat beer? I would love to wander into a family mart and pick up a nice Korean beer. The Hoegarden proves they can do it.
I also saw a couple of weeks ago a limited edition Max in a gold can. 6 cans were 10,000won. I tried a free sample but it was nothing great.
There is a Tesco Dutch made beer available in Mullae though which is 6,500 for 4 tall red and white cans. It tastes great. The little Tesco bottles with the blue and red labels are also great.
redaxe

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Beer beer beer Reply with quote

Seoulman69 wrote:
Hey folks,

Was in Homeplus the other day and had a look at the beers. I've read that the OB brewery also makes the Budweiser. Some say it is the same. I've never drank both side by side so can't comment. I did notice the Hoegarden is also made by OB. The Hoegarden tastes good which got me wondering, why doesn't a Korean company make a widely available wheat beer? I would love to wander into a family mart and pick up a nice Korean beer. The Hoegarden proves they can do it.
I also saw a couple of weeks ago a limited edition Max in a gold can. 6 cans were 10,000won. I tried a free sample but it was nothing great.
There is a Tesco Dutch made beer available in Mullae though which is 6,500 for 4 tall red and white cans. It tastes great. The little Tesco bottles with the blue and red labels are also great.

They do... it's called Hoegaarden. It is made by a Korean company. It's just branded by a foreign company. Most Koreans (and Asians in general) prefer light lager beer though.

You can find imported German wheat beers here if you know where to look. Most "western" bars have them. And there's a place in Hongdae called Deutsches Haus that has several varieties like Krombacher, Paulaner, etc.
Seoulman69

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
They do... it's called Hoegaarden. It is made by a Korean company. It's just branded by a foreign company. Most Koreans (and Asians in general) prefer light lager beer though.

I fear I have not made my point clearly enough. My apologies. Embarassed

I would like to see a Korean company make a wheat beer using their own recipe. I would also like it to be cheaper than it currently is to buy a similar alternative. I have seen many wheat beers available but the cost is enough to scare me sober.
Max is a good start, but it's still a fairly poor tasting beer. Rather than making Red, Lime, or Light beers why not focus on making a worthwhile standard, or wheat Very Happy , beer?
redaxe

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seoulman69 wrote:
Quote:

I fear I have not made my point clearly enough. My apologies. Embarassed

I would like to see a Korean company make a wheat beer using their own recipe. I would also like it to be cheaper than it currently is to buy a similar alternative. I have seen many wheat beers available but the cost is enough to scare me sober.
Max is a good start, but it's still a fairly poor tasting beer. Rather than making Red, Lime, or Light beers why not focus on making a worthwhile standard, or wheat Very Happy , beer?

Oh, I'd love to see that too, but it's not happening because it's not what Korean consumers want. They want light lager beer because it's better for chugging soju bombs and washing down spicy food.

The fact that Hoegaarden is made in Korea is what makes it as cheap as it is. Just drink the Hoegaarden and count your blessings. You're not gonna find a wheat beer cheaper than that in Korea.
Seoulman69

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Just drink the Hoegaarden and count your blessings.

Laughing You sound like my parents. "Eat your veg and count your blessings".
I guess you are right. The cheapest most readily available wheat beer is Hoegaarden. I wish it was a bit cheaper though. 5,000won for a bottle in a club would be fine. I usually end up having to pay 7,000. Crying or Very sad

If you haven't already, check out the Homeplus Tesco brand beer. It's a fair price and tastes good. Someone told me it is Grolsch with a store brand label. I compared it with a bottle of Grolsch and there is a little difference but for the money it's great value. I'm drinking one right now. (Don't worry, I've finished my classes for today.) Laughing
Beeyee

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the head buyer for Tesco in Korea and he says that the Tesco own brand dutch lager is indeed made my Grolsh. Don't know if it's true but that is what he tells me.
Seoulman69

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a bump for this thread and to let you know that the Tesco beer i mentioned is on special offer just now. 4 cans for 4,000 won.
Englishee

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hoegaarden is overrated. it tastes like hotdogs.
Old Gil

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finding good stuff to take home is a pain here, but there's places to drink decent beer at a bar.

There's a place called Platinum in Apgujeong that's a pretty good deal, I think 4 hours all you can drink for 13k weekdays and 16k weekends. They have a good variety of beers, including a wheat methinks. There's always Castle Praha as well.
red_devil

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've recently taken a liking to the Asahi Premium.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mdid/3693510527/
Fishead soup

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Jeju island is the Korean Phuket, Than Stout is the Korean Guiness.
Savant

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beeyee wrote:
I know the head buyer for Tesco in Korea and he says that the Tesco own brand dutch lager is indeed made my Grolsh. Don't know if it's true but that is what he tells me.

Even if it's not true, it still tastes better than any Korean produced lager.

Prime Max is about the best of the mainstream lagers.

Hite Stout is alright to drink once a week but it still remains a poor man's Guinness.
Oliver

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering, does anyone know who the main importers of British or craft beer are?
Sector7G

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Savant wrote:
Beeyee wrote:
I know the head buyer for Tesco in Korea and he says that the Tesco own brand dutch lager is indeed made by Grolsh. Don't know if it's true but that is what he tells me.

Even if it's not true, it still tastes better than any Korean produced lager.

I don't know if it's made by Grolsch but it is definitely made in the Netherlands-it says so on the can.

I used to drink it all the time and it is definitely a good value for the price and definitely better than Hite or Cass(but that's not saying much is it?)

I have not drunk it in a while as I found a local convenience store that sells Tsingtao cheaper than Homeplus.

Speaking of Homeplus, for the last 2 months my local store has been selling special Guiness 4packs for around 10,000 won, pretty much the same cost per can as the Costco 8pack for around 20,000 won. But what is special about the 4 pack is that it comes with a cool black espresso cup and saucer complete with the Guiness insignia. I have seven now that I have not even taken out of their boxes. I figure I will give them as gifts down the road sometime.

Last edited by Sector7G on Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
pkang0202

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Erdingers. I think they are worth their price.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: