Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tim Hortons in Bundang
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pyongshin Sangja

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am Canadian. I hate Tim Horton's and everyone that goes there. Their coffee is crap, their food is for white trash. Thanks.
Skywalker26

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 5:26 am    Post subject: ok Reply with quote

Well I am an Australian and having been to Canada a couple of times I know all about Tim Hortons...and you know what...the place KICKSASS. The french vanilla cappuccino coffees are top notch and I totally agree with the whole toasted bagel with garlic cream cheese.....it (beeps) all over the other mass franchise coffee shops.

I was in Canada for a couple of weeks and when I went back home I was "Flipping the lid" of my coffee cup to see if I had won a free chocolate donut or another cup of coffee....sad but true!
lebowski

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 6:43 am    Post subject: They are both crap Reply with quote

I can't believe people are fighting over what is better, Tim Horton's (yes, I am Canadian and I think Tim Horton's is coffee for hicks) or Dunkin Donuts! They are both crap!!
JackSarang

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pyongshin Sangja wrote:
I am Canadian. I hate Tim Horton's and everyone that goes there. Their coffee is crap, their food is for white trash. Thanks.

You shure do have purty lips.
the eye

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim Hortons will never open a bonafide franchise anywhere unless they can ensure their standards in baking products. They require the franchisee to use company bought ingredients to make the donuts and sandwiches and all that crap. One store in Korea would not make the venture worthwhile for the company.....unless you want to pay $29.99 for a coffee and croissant.....Starbucks already does that!
Bulsajo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VanIslander wrote:
the taste of Nabob is clearly different than Tim Horton's.

There is more than one variety/blend of Nabob Coffee, and one of them happens to be the one that is supplied to Tim Horton's. It's been a while, but I know the Yangjae Costco had a couple of varieties of Nabob Coffee.

Quote:
Nice try, and beside the point.

Why is it beside the point? This thread is about Tim Horton's (and coffee) in Korea. Just because my post doesn't match your expectations of what should be discussed in this thread doesn't make it 'beside the point'.
Bulsajo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VanIslander wrote:
My students know a bit of Tim Horton's culture: They can say "R-R-R Roll up the rim to win"

Good god, you'd think going all the way to Korea might spare you from that incessant slogan- everytime I hear it I want to throw my tv/radio out the window.

Off on a rant-

Y'know, I sometimes go to Tim Horton's. I sometimes have a coffee and sometimes a chicken salad sandwich (I'm not much of a donut expert). My wife likes the French Vanilla coffee and the chicken soup, and sometimes we'll grab a box of timbits for the drive up to the ski hill or on a road trip to wherever. On the whole, I thought they were okay- reasonable quality, reasonable price, quick, consistent, ubiquitous. Never had a problem with them in that repect.

What I can't stand about Tim Horton's is the trashy nationalism they've marketed for themselves, much like Molson Brewery. They're a friggin' fast food franchise for christsakes- if MacDonald's had originated in Canada would we all be crowing about it? Rolling Eyes
Mr. Pink

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VanIslander wrote:
Tim Horton was a hockey player, of course, as befitting a Canadian doughnut shop chain. It's okay for a Canuck to diss Tim Horton's (though never too loud) but I have NEVER heard someone say Dunkin' Donuts is better because, well, we Canadians that eat at both know that Dunkin' follows whatever trends Timmy comes up with, mimicking the symbolic consumer institution of Canada (like Wal-mart is so American).

(Personally, I can't stand the colours at Dunkin' and their timbits are too oily tasting and, well, not enough like Timbits. Dunkin's hot chocolate isn't very good either. But I like their lemonade and muffins.)

My students know a bit of Tim Horton's culture: They can say "R-R-R Roll up the rim to win" Very Happy

If there was an authentic Tim Horton's in Bundang I'd go there as a sort of tribute to Canadian Imperialism in all of its glory (with thumbs up of course).

I don't drink coffee, so Tim's/Dunkin - I don't care about the coffee argument.

I don't eat "wannabe donuts" like timbits or munchkins etc. - I don't care about that argument

I EAT DONUTS, REAL FULL DONUTS...Isn't that why you SHOULD go to a DONUT shop? Tim's IS NOT A COFFEE shop...so, comparing the donuts, Tim's ISN'T ALL THAT.

Dunkin Donuts is better. Country Style is better. I'd go so far as to say even Baker's Dozen is close to being better.

Yup I am Canadian, and I don't care for Tim's. If I wanted good coffee, I guess I would go to a COFFEE shop. When I want a good donut I go to DUNKIN DONUTS.
Mr. Pink

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: They are both crap Reply with quote

lebowski wrote:
I can't believe people are fighting over what is better, Tim Horton's (yes, I am Canadian and I think Tim Horton's is coffee for hicks) or Dunkin Donuts! They are both crap!!

For Donuts? Well if I mentioned some small mom and pop shop bakery that makes kickass donuts back home, who is going to know about it, and what good does that do me in Korea?

Dunkin Donuts makes the best donuts for a large donut chain.

Also WHY are people referring to Tim Horton's as a COFFEE SHOP? If it really is a COFFEE SHOP, HOW can their DONUTS be better than a chain that specializes in DONUTS????
Cthulhu

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bulsajo wrote:

Quote:
What I can't stand about Tim Horton's is the trashy nationalism they've marketed for themselves, much like Molson Brewery. They're a friggin' fast food franchise for christsakes- if MacDonald's had originated in Canada would we all be crowing about it?

Yes.

I like Tim Hortons, not because its Canadian, not because it has the best coffee in the world, or the best donuts, and certainly not because of that goddamned "roll up the rim to win" which I've played 10 times in the last week and haven't won once.

I like Tim Horton's because I can drive through the drive-thru and grab a cup of black coffee (no goddamned sugar or cream) and get back to driving my car with a quick caffeine fix under my belt. And it's cheap.

It's all about money anyway--appealing to the mass market. I wouldn't use Tim Horton's as a plug for my nation any more than I'd expect an American to use Ray Kroc's divine inspiration to plug his culture.
mindmetoo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bulsajo wrote:
If you like Tim Horton's, just go buy a can of Nabob coffee at Costco.

Exactly. There's nothing particularly good about Tim Hortons coffee. Any can of bulk coffee grounds will give you the same cup of coffee.

For some Canadians, it's the only game in town in terms of coffee.

It's about atmosphere. It's about being able to hunker down over a dutchie, wiping your nose on the sleeve of your plaid flannel jacket, and bitch about Americans and the Federal government. It's about being surrounded by people who will slap you on the back and tell you you're a genius for having the exact same view of everything they also happen to hold.

Many probably met their wife there or in the parking lot. Many probably conceived their first child on the hood of their Chevy Cavalier in a Tim Hortons parking lot. And for many, Tim Hortons amounts to a romantic night out...
nateyb

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, here's the deal on the Tim Hortons. I work across from the sign that is posted.

It is supposed to open next month. It says there will be Tim Hortons. The name of the shop is the Canadian Cafe.

But, here's the problem. In Korean, it says "Live English Club." Some of us over at Sunae think the draw is to bring people in who are jonesing for Tim Hortons and then people will speak English around them.

It is very suspicious, but the promise of Tim Hortons is worth it for those Canadians.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
kylehawkins2000

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see that Molsen markets themselves along Nationalistic lines....eg. the "I am Canadian" spiel, the red maple leaf on the bottle, etc. But Tim Hortons? It's definitely a Canadian staple but I dont' really think they market themselves in a Nationalistic manner. I think a significant number of Canadians don't even relize that Tim Horton was a hockey player. I don't see anyone saying anything about being Canadian int he commercials.

Of course maybe I've missed out on it. I haven't been in Canada much for the last 6 years, so perhaps things have changed.
peppermint

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess you missed the commercial where they sent the homesick Canadian Navy boy a ton of coffee after he wrote them a letter from the Middle East.

I wouldn't really remember it except my naive co-workers mentioned last week that they wanted to see if they could get some coffee by doing the same thing.

I also dimly remember an Esso commercial where a guy comes home from somewhere maybe Europe and said how he got treated very well because of the Maple Leaf patch on his backpack.

My question- why are Canadians such suckers for lame patriotic ads? Rolling Eyes
Cthulhu

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peppermint wrote

Quote:
My question- why are Canadians such suckers for lame patriotic ads?

I'd tend to agree with you if I hadn't seen years of ads from Buffalo and Detroit to remind me what patriotic really meant... Rolling Eyes

It's a dumb Canadian thing, but it's not uniquely a dumb Canadian thing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: