Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tim Hortons in Bundang
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SeoulnPepe

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim Hortons is all right. I'm a Starbuck's & Seattle's Best man, but Timmy's doesn't hurt when compared to those two behemoths.

It is true, it is no longer a Canadian only venture. It is now a publicly traded company, whose major shareholder is the Canadian who bought out the Horton family in the 70s. He also owns more shares in Wendy's International than Dave Thomas ever did. So in many ways it's still got a strong Canadian connection/flavour.

There are no Timmy's outside North America, except in Kandahar, Afghanistan, where we've got troops stationed.
Mea

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrd wrote:
Umm - this thread was 2 years old!

So? I guess mindmetoo thought the cinnamon rolls are SO good that it needed to be brought back from the dead?

SeoulnPepe wrote:
There are no Timmy's outside North America, except in Kandahar, Afghanistan, where we've got troops stationed.

There are Tim's in the UK.

People in my city raised a ton of of money to send to the troops so they can buy coffee.
Dev

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a little surprised that Tim's hasn't tried to break into the Korean & Japanese markets. Stories of Japanese & Korean students mailing home boxes of flavored hot chocolate and cappucino mixes from Canada are not uncommon.

J & K students can always be found chatting in any Tim's shop. They virtually forget Starbucks when they visit Canada. Who wants to pay $4 for a cup of coffee when you can get a pretty good one for $1.25?
mindmetoo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mea wrote:
mrd wrote:
Umm - this thread was 2 years old!

So? I guess mindmetoo thought the cinnamon rolls are SO good that it needed to be brought back from the dead?

SeoulnPepe wrote:

There are Tim's in the UK.

People in my city raised a ton of of money to send to the troops so they can buy coffee.

Instead of starting a new thread on this new donut Tims has introduced (well, new to me), I just searched and appended to what seemed to be the canonical thread on Tim Hortons.
saxonbee

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a Kiwi, I always thought Tim Horton's coffee was seriously over-rated by most Canadians. It was like some Flashier kanukian version of Dunkin' Donuts masquerading as some coffee-drinking Sacred Cow. Damn near untouchable. I found out I could not criticize it unless I wanted to alienate my canadian friends, in laws and wife. Really poor coffee served even in Canada. Tim Whoretons. (oops spelling) He shoulda just start to playing ice hockey or setting up a real coffeemaking chain. Sorry guys but Canadians really do have to get over their dilusion about their national coffee chain. Learn to let your taste buds actually tell you that it is indeed weak as diluted piss, crap coffee simply served in better designed cups.

The fact that they bent over like wooses here in Korea to serve brown hazlenut water is proof that they don't give a flying chocolate smelling coffeebean about making strong hairy coffee.

Love and giggles,

The Coffee loving Kiwi.

PS - sorry guys - the coffee expresso machine is sold. First item to go actually. To a fellow Kiwi. Smile
Leavingkorea

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm Canadian and I don't get it either. I don't think the donuts or the coffee are all the special. Where I live now, people sit in the drive through for 45 minutes to an hour for a Timmy coffee. Rolling Eyes
Oreovictim

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, I've heard some of my Canadian friends talk about that Tim Horton's chain. If I'm ever in Canada, I'll look for one of 'em; then I'll compare it to Dunkin' Donuts. By the way, Have you noticed that the Dunkin' Donuts here in Korea are all posh? Plus, the donuts don't taste as good as they do back home. I think that they cut back on the sugar or something.
Young FRANKenstein

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oreovictim wrote:
Oh yeah, I've heard some of my Canadian friends talk about that Tim Horton's chain. If I'm ever in Canada, I'll look for one of 'em; then I'll compare it to Dunkin' Donuts. By the way, Have you noticed that the Dunkin' Donuts here in Korea are all posh? Plus, the donuts don't taste as good as they do back home. I think that they cut back on the sugar or something.

I don't think Tim's compares better to Dunkin or Starbucks anymore. The quality ha dropped over the last 10 years. Donuts are not made fresh on-site anymore in almost all outlets these days, and coffee quality has really nosedived. I had the craving for Tim's and couldn't wait to get home... and was so disappointed when I finally got there. The freshly made sandwiches and soups were damn good though, and the toasted bagels. But the donuts and coffee? Meh.
Woland

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oreovictim wrote:

Less sugar in a Korean baked good? I think you jest. My bet would be different/more oil as an explanation.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: