Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recommend a dentist ->FAQ
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yikes!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:20 pm    Post subject: Embassy list Reply with quote

Anyone notice this list?
http://usembassy.state.gov/seoul/wwwh3470.html

I was wondering if anyone has ever gone to any of the dentists listed there. I wonder if the rates run about the same as the little dentist shops you find on every busy street and whether the care is better.
Yikes!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I know this thread is ancient history, but anyway...
I called to make an appointment at the Asan hospital this week. The dentist there was booked solid until Nov 15 (about 6 weeks away)! And it sounded like there weren't many openings after that. Just FYI.
mikegirardi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tufts Dental in Gangnam(COEX area) is spectaular. The office is cool. It doesn't look like a dental office. It's very modern,clean,and very pretty.
The doctor is fluent in English and understand American culture well. I had a chance to go out to lunch with her(of course, she paid), and talked about a lot of different issues. She seems like a bridge between Koreans and expats. She studied at Tufts university in Boston. Her staff is also very friendly. They greet me with joy and treat me like a friend of theirs whenever i go there.
I truly recommend Tufts Dental not only because of the doctor's skill and experience but also their kindness and authenticity.
Tel ; 02-553-7512
Website ; www.tuftsdental.net
ms.catbc

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am reviving this post
I have a serious tooth ache...my gum is receding around the tooth and I am worried that i need to see a dentist asap.

I am not currently working in Korea. I am living with my fiance and his family before heading back to Canada.

Can anyone recommend a good dentist...AND does anyone know how much a root canal etc might cost me WITHOUT insurance? I don't have insurance in Canada either and I know for a fact that dental surgery is EXPENSIVE in Canada.

My fiance and I are talking about getting married here, to speed up the process and maybe even sooner if it means i can get my dental insurance. Not the most romantic reason to get married but...it is what it is.

any advice would be helpful!
thanks
dharma bum

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ms.catbc wrote:
I am reviving this post
I have a serious tooth ache...my gum is receding around the tooth and I am worried that i need to see a dentist asap.

I am not currently working in Korea. I am living with my fiance and his family before heading back to Canada.

Can anyone recommend a good dentist...AND does anyone know how much a root canal etc might cost me WITHOUT insurance? I don't have insurance in Canada either and I know for a fact that dental surgery is EXPENSIVE in Canada.

My fiance and I are talking about getting married here, to speed up the process and maybe even sooner if it means i can get my dental insurance. Not the most romantic reason to get married but...it is what it is.

any advice would be helpful!
thanks

A root canal with crown might run you 500,000-700,000 I would guess. The crowns aren't covered by insurance even if you do have it and they're the most expensive part of the procedure anyway. Also, I'd say the cost depends on which dentist you go to. There are some quite expensive ones out there and some that are more reasonable. Are you looking for the latter? And where in Korea are you living?
ms.catbc

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am currently living in Guri. I had an english speaking dentist when i was living in Ilsan but...I can't remember where the office was really and can't find the contact information.

My fiance recommends just going to his dentist near here but he doesn't speak english and to be honest...i have a major fear of going to the dentist anyway...let alone when i don't understand what is going on.
Brooksmatic

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to Dr. Choi in Hannam-dong today because I have an infection in my gums. He showed me the x-ray and said I need a root canal. Everything was very professional and he speaks great English.

The part that would be covered by my insurance would be 350,000 ----> 35,000 (90% paid for by insurance). Unfortunately, the prep for a crown is 260,000 and the crown itself is 700,000 (not covered by insurance).

Not sure what to do now. . .
Kiwi Tart

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I strongly recommend Tufts dental. She did my second root canal.(My first root canal was done by a Korean dimwit who I really feel was ripping me off. My tooth looks like a piece of chalk.) The QUALITY of her work at Tufts dental is just amazing. I seriously can't tell that the crown she gave me is any different than any of my other teeth. She doesn't pawn her work off to the nurses either. She is there doing all the tough work. (Though, I must also say that the nurses who are there are quite good, too.)
She was more expensive than the other Korean trained doctor. Her root canal was in the ballpark of 600,000won, whereas the other guy charged only 350,000. But you totally get what you pay for.
Oh, and I never got the feeling she was trying to rip me off at all. She explained everything very clearly, and never tried to hide anything.
And, like the previous poster said, her staff are all wonderful and friendly.

As far as dental services without insurance go, I don't think there is much of a price difference. Most dental work is not covered by health insurance anyways, so most people pay the same price for everything. I vaguely remember my bill being only a few bucks cheaper after insurance kicked in. Less than 50,000won on a 600,000won bill.

Tufts Dental in Gangnam(COEX area)
Tel ; 02-553-7512
Website ; www.tuftsdental.net
Brooksmatic

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kiwi Tart. Just made an appointment with them and after talking with her on the phone sounds like she will be a little cheaper than Dr. Choi (500-600k instead of 900k).
ms.catbc

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to the dentist yesterday.
I decided to go to my fiance's dentist here in Guri rather than going all the way to COEX or Hannam.

It was fine. No root canal needed.

I got a lot of medicine and i should be fine in the end.
Forever

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.google.com/cse?cx=006359271486458796786%3A_ooozypbm6u&ie=UTF-8&q=dentist&siteurl=www.google.com%2Fcse%2Fhome%3Fcx%3D006359271486458796786%253A_ooozypbm6u

http://forums.eslcafe.com/korea/viewtopic.php?t=4618

http://forums.eslcafe.com/korea/viewtopic.php?t=18

http://forums.eslcafe.com/korea/viewtopic.php?t=175987

http://forums.eslcafe.com/korea/viewtopic.php?p=2257312

http://forums.eslcafe.com/korea/viewtopic.php?p=2289069

http://forums.eslcafe.com/korea/viewtopic.php?t=18&highlight=dentist
caticus

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: tufts dental Reply with quote

I went to Tufts several months ago. I found the experience very uncomfortable and disappointing. Against my better judgement, I let her reshape my front teeth (she told me they looked like bunny rabbit teeth). She took off almost all of the enamel and now my teeth are cracked. One was root canaled as a result and I don't know what will happen to it now. She did refund the money for the procedure and offered to have a look at my teeth, but due to my previous experience in her office, I refused. I personally don't want a dentist who is more concerned with aesthetics than function. My teeth were much healhtier before.

Last edited by caticus on Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:09 am; edited 3 times in total
Hieronymous

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:18 am    Post subject: Tufts dental Reply with quote

Well I just had some dental work at Tufts and I am very happy with the work and the price. Ive had one root canal plus a crown, and six frontal fillings as cosmetic, plus whitening, and now I have great teeth! The dentist is really professional and the surgery is clean and like a modern western dentist in every way. I strongly recommend her. I looked around at other places and I even had some work done at the Kyunghee University hospital, but I wouldnt recommend there their hygiene was not up to standard. Oh, finally they speak really good English at Tufts, even the assistants, so I felt that I knew what was going on..
SkinnyMinnie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wink

Last edited by SkinnyMinnie on Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Samanthat87

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I went to Tufts yesterday for the first time and thought it was a very pleasant experience. I have read a few of the negative comments above and can honestly say I didn't think she was pushy in the slightest and very friendly. I needed 3 fillings but she suggested I have only the two and come back another time for the third.....if she had wanted my money for all three she could have easily tried to persuade me but did not. I also asked about cleaning and whitening which she gave me quotes for and told me to have a think about it.

Overall, the place was great, nurses were friendly and Dr Gina was extremely professional. I am going to make another appointment soon for my next filling and some cleaning.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: