Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The best place you've been...?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cacheSurfer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

matko wrote:
I have never been to New Orleans but would love to spend a significant amount of time there.

Trashy appeals to me! Very Happy

what else is so bad about it and Louisiana?

Louisiana does have some great culture, but I found N.O. to be a turnoff. Mardi Gras is why everybody goes there. that's probably the reason most people like the place.
cacheSurfer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tiger Beer wrote:
I loved Lousiana.. particularly New Orleans! Unique culture, great food, great architecture, everything.

Try growing up in Michigan.. with Michigan cities.. UGLY DIRTY and DANGEROUS! At least New Orleans is gorgeous and you actually have people around. Plus touristic city.. its all good.. and fun too.

I felt like N.O. was dangerous. Maybe that's why it was a turnoff to me.
Doesn't it have the highes murder rate?
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been to New Orleans twice and absolutely loved it!! Never been there during Mardi Gras.. no desire for it.

Being there the non-Mardi Gras times was better I think. So many restaurants, bars, and just great vibe all the way around. Well, speaking of the French Quarter anyhow. Plus enough tourists around that I always felt quite safe.
cacheSurfer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The harbor at Rio has always been fascinating to me.(just from the photos that I have seen) After reading some of these posts...It has occured to me that it is a must see.
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i loved Rio de Jainero.. spent 2 months of my 6 months there in Brazil. Most incredible place on earth. (Well besides the North Pole but I got over that at age 6).

Rio is beautiful!!!!!!!!!! but not as much as the women.
VanIslander

Location: Geoje, Hadong, Tongyeong,... now in a small coastal island town outside Gyeongsangnamdo!

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: The best place you've been...? Reply with quote

South Korea. Rolling Eyes
Tiger Beer wrote:
RANKING OF ONLY THE PLACES I HAVE BEEN!! (25 places total).
1. Brazil
2. South Korea
22. Nepal
23. Hungary

I wonder why two of the places I must visit were ranked so low by you. Really, how come?
osangrl

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geckos on a saturday nite. Pure heaven. Very Happy
Zed

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: The best place you've been...? Reply with quote

VanIslander wrote:
Tiger Beer wrote:
1. Brazil
2. South Korea
22. Nepal
23. Hungary

I wonder why two of the places I must visit were ranked so low by you. Really, how come?
I certainly don't think of Budapest that way. That city was so alive and vibrant. Unfortunately, with the exception of a couple of incredible buildings, it's rather architecturally dreary. The people there were great though and the women were fine.
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: The best place you've been...? Reply with quote

VanIslander wrote:
Tiger Beer wrote:
1. Brazil
2. South Korea
22. Nepal
23. Hungary

My Korea ranking would be much much lower now. I did this one in perhaps February of 2003.. which was after a year and half absense from Korea and had been living in the US at that time. I had really missed my Korean experiences at that time and couldn�t wait to get back and hangout with friends and everything else again. Later after 6 months in Korea I did the poll again and dropped Korea down quite a bit on the list.

I�d still keep Nepal and Hungary right about where they were.

I didn�t care for Nepal because outside of the mountains, I didn�t enjoy it much. It was sort of presumed hippy haven in my own mind that would be non-capitalistic and unmaterialistic and whatever else. (Actually I went there in 1996 so I wasn�t very well-travelled at that time). Kathmandu was definetely one of the most capitalistical and materialistic places I�ve ever been on an individual level. Just a constant stream of people trying to get stuff from me. (Nothing violent, but the more pestering kind).

For example. At the airport.. 50-60 people waiting for the plane to arrive and everyone is grabbing at you trying to get you to their hotel. You take one and go. Fine. Check into your hotel and walk out.. people constantly trying to sell everything and anything. As you walk around everyone is trying to get you into their store. There is no peace in Kathmandu, just constant �"buy buy buy".. this could be said about most 3rd world countries.. but being that it was my first third world country besides Thailand.. I just didn�t expect it.. and it turned me off.

Other random stuff as well.. if you want me to continue I can.. I have tons of stories about Nepal.. unlike most people I didn�t go directly into the Himilayas.. if I had.. I would have loved it. I spent 3 weeks lingering around Kathmandu and Pokhara and finally on the last week got up to Annapurna Base Camp (which was definetely THE highlight).. lingering around the cities was the lowlight.. I could describe much moreso in detail if you want..

HUNGARY. Its just low on my list for personal reasons. I went there in 1997 sandwiched between my Asia experience and my South America experience. In Hungary I found I had lost my exoticness that was so typical and then familiar from Asia. So here I arrive in Budapest (which is where I studied my TESOL certificate).. and I found it dull and boring. Mostly because when I hit the bars and clubs I�d still see and hear the north american expats (I suppose) but there would be an absense of potential local woman who might be interested. So I�d try to talk to a Hungarian woman.. and immediately when they can�t speak English and I can�t speak Hungarian.. there was just a total lack of interest on her part. At that time I had been so accustomed to Korean or Asian women enthusiastically trying to cut through the language barrier. It was a shock when they gave up immediately and you became a shadow and suddenly nonexistant. Anyhow, that was my feeling. If I hadn�t desired that local connection/interaction (yet somewhat hoped/demanded) it was in English.. perhaps my experience would have been different. If I�d just been hanging out with other expats all the time eating cheap food and cheap beer.. then it also would have been different. But I�d been basicaly spoiled by Asia. Then having left Budapest and having left for South America for the next 10 months.. in the overall comparison charts.. then South American experience was very mixed with locals all the time and very little fellow foreigners around.. combined with a relatively simple language.. and local women who were extremely interested.. it just made my Budapest experience very low on the comparison levels.

All that being said.. I know many many many many people who absolutely love Eastern Europe. Everyone is different and everyone has different attractions for different reasons.

For me, from the Budapest experience, I realized that a) I liked being exotic and different where people made efforts to speak to you (Asia), and b) I liked languages that I could easily pick up and use to communicate with locals (Spanish and Portuguese)..
ryleeys

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silver Basin in Colorado.
Crois

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

osangrl wrote:
Geckos on a saturday nite. Pure heaven. Very Happy

Think you need a new act maybe. This obsessive thing about men is weird. Laughing Laughing Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
krats1976

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dangit, I need to travel more. I've only been to the USA, Canada and now Korea. So, with that in mind, my list:

1-Anywhere in Alaska. Duh. Like you didn't see that one coming. For hospitality, Fairbanks is the best, but for incredible, raw, unadulturated beauty, I'll have to go with Kodiak.
2-Southern Utah/Northern Arizona.
3-Washington, DC--I love that city! I only lived there for four months, but I still get pangs of homesickness whenever I see it on TV.

Now, where would I like to go when I finally have some cash? Guatemala, Spain and New Zealand are first on a very, very long list.
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

krats1976 wrote:
3-Washington, DC--I love that city! I only lived there for four months, but I still get pangs of homesickness whenever I see it on TV.

Now, where would I like to go when I finally have some cash? Guatemala, Spain and New Zealand are first on a very, very long list.

What got you on Washington DC? Just curious as its high on list for my 2005 list of where to live.

Oh, and I�m Spain now.. all is good here. If you remember Camel96 from the board, he is currently in Guatamala.
krats1976

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tiger Beer wrote:
What got you on Washington DC? Just curious as its high on list for my 2005 list of where to live.

I lived out there for a few months for student teaching and I fell head-over-heels in love with it. I don't know why I'm so hooked... It's probably a lot of things all rolled together. Here's a list that of things I love that is in no way comprehensive!

1-That every corner has some place in history.
2-The museums, the art, the culture, the architecture, etc. etc--yes, I know other cities have these things, but I love the museums, art, culture and architecture that're unique to DC.
3-I love that one day I was stuck in traffic on Georgia Ave. and I noticed this random little sculpture garden smushed between two buildings.
4-The bucket drummer on the corner of 14th & Constitution.
5-The fact that none of the buildings in the District can be higher then the Washington Monument so you don't have to totally strain your neck to see the sky.
6-In spite of the old fogies up on Capitol Hill, it's a young city. I think I read somewhere that 60% of people around the beltloop are in their 20's and 30's.
7-Diversity. There's someone there from every corner of the globe.
8-Greenery. Even though you're in a densely populated area there is sooo much vegetation. Especially if you get lost on some of those little roads going into the city where you can't see the houses because they're hidden by their high security gates and tons and tons of trees.
9-That this is one of the famous landmarks:

10-The approach into Reagan National. If that doesn't make your life flash before your eyes... !
11-A million other things that I can't even name.

Quote:

Oh, and I큟 Spain now.. all is good here. If you remember Camel96 from the board, he is currently in Guatamala.

One of those may be my next international adventure. Once I have a couple of years at a foreign school here I'll probably try to get on at an American school there.
ryleeys

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coming around the Mormon Temple curves on the Beltway at 80mph is awesome... I used to make that commute every Saturday heading up to Rockville. And I agree, there is so much to DC that you miss alot, like the little gardens smooshed between buildings. Just don't go into Southeast and you're fine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10

Jump to: