Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The best place you've been...?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bulsajo

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best place in the world as far as I'm concerned is Smith's Cove, Grand Cayman.
http://www.geocities.com/athens/oracle/2432/caymanphotos.html

Last edited by Bulsajo on Mon May 26, 2003 3:12 am; edited 2 times in total
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The King of Kwangju wrote:
#1 is probably a tie between Indonesia and Nepal. Beautiful countries both, and endlessly fascinating, altho Jakarta has to be the worst city on earth.

Korea ranks pretty high. As the BUG guy says: it's like a clam that looks rough and harsh on the outside, but its pretty damn good once you crack it open and taste what's inside.
I definetely agree with you on Korea!

Regarding Jakarta.. yeah, its hot and dirty and.. yeah, i would agree.. one of the worst cities in many ways.. its also one of the most fun cities i've ever been.. particuarly at nighttime.. but almost everything else just is highly UNdesireable.. most indonesians preferred shopping malls above all else.. and when i was there.. i did too.. the only sanitary place and cool airconditioning..

Nepal is quite nice.. i was surprised by the rampant materialistic nature of the people.. starting right at the airport and just about everywhere in Kathmandu.. however its still pretty cool place.. and the mountains are amazing!! thats defintely a retreat away from everything.. very very nice!
rapier

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The people are a factor in my choice of destination. I love the laid back yet sophisticated Dutch; irish are great for atmosphere and fun. But they're both in rainy Europe. I have an uncontrollable need for hot, sweltering tropical sunshine, so as a compromise between many different factors I'll probably stick to Thailand as favorite.
dutchman

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rapier wrote:
. I love the laid back yet sophisticated DutchMAN;I'll probably stick to Thailand as favorite.

Embarassed Razz You love me? You really love me? Cool

Thailand, also for the people. Got to love the land of Maipanrai (sp?).
indytrucks

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To all those posters who dis Thailand ... GOOD FOR YOU. I agree the land of the fake smile must be the most overrated place I've ever been, not to mention the bands of gippos who think spending 50 baht a day is a life affirming accomplishment.

My choices in Asia ... definitely Cambodia (Siem Reap, Angkor, Sihanoukville, Battambang), definitely Philippines (Malapascua, Bohol, Leyte ... Boracay way overrated as well), definitely Malaysia (Langkawi) and most definitely China (places too numerous to mention).

And Korea rocks as a country to travel in.
kylehawkins2000

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll back up pootytang and say Greece. Amazingly beautiful, warm, nice food, good drinks. Can't wait to go back.
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

indytrucks wrote:
To all those posters who dis Thailand ... GOOD FOR YOU. I agree the land of the fake smile must be the most overrated place I've ever been, not to mention the bands of gippos who think spending 50 baht a day is a life affirming accomplishment.

My choices in Asia ... definitely Cambodia (Siem Reap, Angkor, Sihanoukville, Battambang), definitely Philippines (Malapascua, Bohol, Leyte ... Boracay way overrated as well), definitely Malaysia (Langkawi) and most definitely China (places too numerous to mention).

And Korea rocks as a country to travel in.

Hey, this is pretty much EXACTLY how I feel about Thailand.. I mean, its a great little vacation.. but thats about all I'd really put into it.. no much reality coming from the locals though.. its alright though.. wouldn't say i dislike it.. its worth the trip.. but then good to do some comparisons as its not the be-all, end-all..

I'd be quite curious to hear about your experiences in Malapascua, Bohol, Leyte, and even Boracay.. I went to LUZON for a few weeks in the past.. next trip outside of Korea.. I want to spend it as long as I can in the VISAYAS.. Cebu, Boracay, Iloilo, Damuguette, Leyte, and the places you mentioned.. basically just island-hop around until I get my fill of it.. would be quite nice!

Regarding China, three times there and you are right on about all the places and nooks and corners.. I found a hotspot in Sichuan provence.. quite an interesting place.. Sichuan/Yunnan.. Shanghai was pretty cool.. but not really budget travel unfortunately.. Beijing.. I just don't see what others see in that place.. its okay.. but i like the other places mentioned more.. i'd like to spend some time in Chongqing as I've heard it has a manhattan-like feel.. could be quite interesting..
chi-chi

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tiger Beer wrote:
[quote="The King of Kwangju

Regarding Jakarta.. yeah, its hot and dirty and.. yeah, i would agree.. one of the worst cities in many ways.. its also one of the most fun cities i've ever been.. particuarly at nighttime.. but almost everything else just is highly UNdesireable.. most indonesians preferred shopping malls above all else.. and when i was there.. i did too.. the only sanitary place and cool airconditioning..

Wait a minute...you just described Taiwan!!!
maryk

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 Halibut Cove, Alaska

2 Klagenfurt, Austria

3 Cooper Landing, Alaska

Korea? It's like a clam that looks rough and harsh on the outside, but when you open it up, it's empty.
rapier

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Favorite places? you mean, for scenic beauty?
1)Mount Cazlit, gwanda, Zimbabwe.
2)Drakensberg ranges, S.Africa.
3)Coral bay, W.Australia.

For favorite memories;
1)Candonagh,Donegal, Ireland
2)Amsterdam
3)Donnybrook, australia.
(Above 3 have in common the fact that I have been hideously drunk and out of contol in each).
indytrucks

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tiger Beer wrote:

I'd be quite curious to hear about your experiences in Malapascua, Bohol, Leyte, and even Boracay.. I went to LUZON for a few weeks in the past.. next trip outside of Korea.. I want to spend it as long as I can in the VISAYAS.. Cebu, Boracay, Iloilo, Damuguette, Leyte, and the places you mentioned.. basically just island-hop around until I get my fill of it.. would be quite nice!

For those with summer/winter holidays that extend longer than like, say, a week, the Philippines is by far the most attractive destination in SE Asia, IMHO. As cheap as Thailand, as fine beaches, just without the hordes of the tyedyedreadlockBirkenstocksarongoverlyprententiousd!ckheadKhaoSanRoad clones that overpopulate just about every worthwhile place to go.

As for Malapascua, it was one of the most stunning places I've ever seen (and I've done a fair bit of traveling) not to mention chilled out and quiet. There are no cars allowed on the island. You can walk around it in aboput an hour, through fishing villages and such. Added bonus: in low season (ie. this summer) beachfront bungalows (and I'm not talking sh!tty Ko Samui A-frames) go for about half what they would in high season.

More than the usual, alright. [/quote]
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

indytrucks wrote:
Tiger Beer wrote:

For those with summer/winter holidays that extend longer than like, say, a week, the Philippines is by far the most attractive destination in SE Asia, IMHO. As cheap as Thailand, as fine beaches, just without the hordes of the tyedyedreadlockBirkenstocksarongoverlyprententiousd!ckheadKhaoSanRoad clones that overpopulate just about every worthwhile place to go.

As for Malapascua, it was one of the most stunning places I've ever seen (and I've done a fair bit of traveling) not to mention chilled out and quiet. There are no cars allowed on the island. You can walk around it in aboput an hour, through fishing villages and such. Added bonus: in low season (ie. this summer) beachfront bungalows (and I'm not talking *beep* Ko Samui A-frames) go for about half what they would in high season.

More than the usual, alright.
Yep, I gotta go there.. actually after my one-year contract.. I'm thinking of spending very extended time solely in Philippines.. maybe 3-4 months total or something.. would love to really get to know the place..

In regards to Thailand.. yeah, thats pretty much how I feel.. I mean, everyone needs to go to Thailand.. and if it appeals to them.. then all is good.. but i'm basically of the same mindset in that my one trip to Thailand was enough for me.. i'll keep going back to other places next time around..

Philippines sounds great.. i'll have to definetely put "Malapascua" on my list.. I heard Damuguette was pretty amazing by a friend who went there.. thats on the list.. wouldn't mind trying all these places all around.. just island hopping and see what turns up.. and it seems like a great place to do exactly that - easy language, friendly people, no touristic culture, etc.. seems very nice![/quote]
rudyflyer

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't traveled much even here. I tend as I get older go for the tried and true, losing the sense of adventure but I have a few.

1) Thailand- yeah Bangkok stinks now, one night if that and get out of there. Even Chaweng has lost something over the years. When I go down there its now Lamai and a couple of the beaches on Pha Ngan up NE. Thing is, there is so much to explore and its so cheap

2) Islamorada Key Fla. Very nice place on the way to Key West. In fact Key West has become so touristy and expensive its sick spend a day looking around then head back here. Some days I wish Jimmy had never let the secrect out. I still recommend the drive to Key West it is something

3) Big Bend National Park/Big Bend State Park Texas. In litterally the middle of nowhere (4 hour + drive from the nearest major airport) incredible mountains and canyons. These 2 parks see very few visitors and are simply huge just don't go from May-Sept temps in the canyons can hit 120F stay in the mountains

4) Gili Islands Indonesia. Forget Bali, jump over there and hang on these little coral specs off Lombok. Even Sengigi on Lombok was nicer than Bali.

I would love to spend more time in Mexico have heard some nice things there. Same with Belize is supposed to be nice. Haven't been to Japan yet but plan to this year . Carribbean from what I've heard is incredibly overpriced

places to avoid:
Bangkok- 'nuff said. See the Grand Palace, Wat Arun, Wat Pho, spend an evening watching the backpackers on KSR then get out

Bali- OVER-RATED, OVER-RATED!!!!! Kuta is a pit, Ubud in the interior was OK beaches were mediocre at best, seen better in Miami

Miami-Forget all the stuff you've seen on TV. I lived there unless you're rich, Cuban, and maybe gay (rich and gay) the place is a cess pool. Second most overrated place I've ever been to

Key West-never been so disappointed in a place, maybe 25 years ago but now...scummy too many bums, overpriced accomodations/food

Orlando- Universal is good, Disney is a giant vaccum attacjed to your wallet so little value

Korea, Kyongju is OK, Seoul is OK but as a tourist place this place has nothing. Friends here for the World Cup said it was the most overrated place they've ever been to
indytrucks

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rudyflyer wrote:
Korea, Kyongju is OK, Seoul is OK but as a tourist place this place has nothing. Friends here for the World Cup said it was the most overrated place they've ever been to

Man, if you base Seoul and Kyongju as the extent of tourist sights in Korea, you're missing out.

Soraksan and Sokcho, especially during the autumn (and during weekdays) rule.

The islands south of Mokpo, Ulleong-do and even Cheju (again, not when it's crazy busy) are stunning, with quiet atmosphere and friendly locals.

Some of the other national parks like Gyerongsan (near Taejon) Odaesan (near Wonju), Chirisan and Naejangsan (near Jeonju) are also awesome.

I said it before, I'll say it again, Korea rocks for travel. Those who show some initiative and are bothered to leave the city limits of Seoul will be rewarded.[/quote]
Canadian Teacher

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The nicest place I have ever been is Coron Bay, Palawan, Philippines. It is undiscovered, unpolulated, unknown, difficult to get to, cheap and has some of the best and easily accessed wreck scuba diving in the world.

It has practically zip in the way in nightlife but the beaches are clean white sand, the beer is P25 and fantastic meals less than P100.

The wrecks at Coron are at 40m or less, easy for rec divers to access.

Big Lalaguna, Puerto Galera is also a place I love but get there soon. Sabang is already over developed and Korean owned luxury resorts are creeping over to Big Lalaguna.

So much for my little bit of paradise.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10

Jump to: