Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The best place you've been...?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Man known as The Man

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

top 4?

4. Montreal. Even though its close, its Montreal?

3. Quebec City. I could learn to deal with the pure line jackasses just for the women

2. New York City

1. Lisbon, Portugal

ps Maine? Are you kidding me? I've driven to Portland a few times, Katydid, and even if you forget about that horrible mangling of English that is the chowdah nation, Maine sucks!
eamo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New York, New York!! So good they named it twice......

I had the best week of my life there. New Yorkers are just awesome. They don't care who you are as long as you are willing to have fun and not pass any judgements. I was there in '97 but I believe the attitude of New Yorkers may have even been improved by Sept. 11th.

Paris is the most beautiful city I've been to. You get a sore neck there looking at all the beautiful buildings. There's so many genuinely interesting tourist sites. In these two aspects Paris would be the polar opposite of Seoul.

Canada has some amazing scenery. I only saw one little corner of it (Vancouver/BC). I loved just taking road trips in BC. So much natural beauty to look at.

For pastoral beauty I've yet to see better than my home turf. Northern Ireland. The Glens of Antrim are hard to beat. Not scenery that makes you gasp, like Canada, rather, the scenery in Ireland makes you smile contentedly.
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adventureman wrote:
Tiger Beer wrote:
Best Cities:
1. Rio de Jainero, Brazil
2. Salvador, Brazil
3. New Orleans, Louisana
4. Saigon, Vietnam
5. Hanoi, Vietnam
6. Cuzco, Peru

You forgot that magical City By The Bay, Tiger....easily the best city in the U.S...arguably, the world....

Yeah, actually I was going to say San Francisco (I lived there from 2001-2002 recently)..

Actually I have tons of favorite places all over the USA.. but didn't want to have everything be too peppered with USA stuff.. San Francisco and San Francisco bay is beautiful. Believe it or not, I lived on 'treasure island' out in the Bay.. it was between San Francisco city and Oakland on an island. I had a view of the entire bay.. and housing was actually cheaper too.. I could see Alcatraz, and Fishermans Wharf and Golden Gate Bridge but from a different perspective than any tourist.. it was pretty cool.
canuckistan
Mod Team
Mod Team

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TMKATM, that's "Pur laine", and the best crank-it-up I ever had in the most beautiful city in NA was for St Jean Baptiste on the Boulevard Grande Allee. As far as partying goes, people in Quebec City are in a league of their own. They put Montrealers to shame.
schwa

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have special fond associations with:

Greece
Bolivia
Afghanistan
Zed

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

schwa wrote:
I have special fond associations with:

Greece
Bolivia
Afghanistan

This is intruiging. Tell us more.
schwa

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been over all 3 somewhat extensively, just a curious traveller. Greeks are just so hospitable. There is considerable magic in the high Andes -- Isla del Sol in Lake Titicaca is ethereal, Tarija in the south is lovely, with much in between. There was a brief lull in conflict in Afghanistan in the early 70s, a very special place -- a proud strong people hard done by by history. I might add NW Pakistan to my list -- Chitral is breathtaking (I was among the first foreigners to set foot there) & Bin Laden could well be there now. Lawless.

Since I'm at it, I'll add Amsterdam, Turkey, Iran, India, Nepal (30 years ago, no rules), Colombia (scary but beautiful)), Ecuador, Peru (Cuzco & Machu Picchu are special), Guatemala, Mexico (Puerto Vallarta this year, nice!), Boracay, N Vietnam, & last but not least Sokcho. I love this planet.

BC boy too. Westcoast Canada has some world-class charms.
Zed

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are some pretty impressive journeys. There are a lot of places there I'd like to visit.

Have you been to many others places in Central Asia. I really would like to go to Uzbekistan and travel into China from there. I don't imagine that Samarkand and Tashkent are what they once were but nonetheless.

Titicaca is also a place I'd really like to visit. I have a thing for lakes I guess. Baikal in Siberia was an incredible experience.
schwa

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Titicaca. Hired a little boat to get us to the small island. No lodging, Slept at the foot of an ancient ruin, snowed on us. The single small village was just embarking on a 3-day festival, brass band & corn liquor & dancing all night. Snow at night, 30+ degrees in the day. Dance dance & fall down stupored, wake up & carry on. Wild. Marvellous time. Storm came up on the boatride back, huge waves threatening death. After much harangue the boat driver heads to the shore. A cousin puts us up in a stark wooden hut, fixes us up with plain dark bread & black coffee -- best meal I ever tasted.
Zed

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

schwa wrote:
Titicaca. Hired a little boat to get us to the small island. No lodging, Slept at the foot of an ancient ruin, snowed on us. The single small village was just embarking on a 3-day festival, brass band & corn liquor & dancing all night. Snow at night, 30+ degrees in the day. Dance dance & fall down stupored, wake up & carry on. Wild. Marvellous time. Storm came up on the boatride back, huge waves threatening death. After much harangue the boat driver heads to the shore. A cousin puts us up in a stark wooden hut, fixes us up with plain dark bread & black coffee -- best meal I ever tasted.

Do you write about your travels? Publish any?
The Man known as The Man

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

canuckistan wrote:
TMKATM, that's "Pur laine", and the best crank-it-up I ever had in the most beautiful city in NA was for St Jean Baptiste on the Boulevard Grande Allee. As far as partying goes, people in Quebec City are in a league of their own. They put Montrealers to shame.

C-

I spelt it that way because the idea of it disgusts me. How Montreal became a Jewish enclave in Canada is beyond me.

The last time I was there I got a horrendous cold and it was the St Jean Baptiste holiday-not cool
Zed

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updated:

Best Cities:
1.Prague
2. Barcelona
3. St. Petersburg
4. Tallin
5. Montreal
6. Galway
7. Budapest
8. Beijing
9. Moscow
10.Boston

Most awesome architecture:
1. The Kremlin and St. Basil's Cathedral, Moscow
2. Angkor Wat, Cambodia
3. Sagrada Familia, Barcelona
4. Summer Palace, Beijing
5. The Royal Mile, Edinburgh
6. The Alhambra, Granada, Spain

Most Scenic:
1. South Moresby Island, B.C.
2. Perhentian Islands, Malaysia
3. Cuba
4. Canadian Rockies
5. NE Utah
6. Gulf Islands, B.C.

Nicest People:
1. New Brunswick Acadians
2. Cambodians
3. Estonians
4. Chinese (that's been my experience)

Most Beautiful Women:
1. Estonia (no contest)
2. Italy
3. Budapest
4. St. Petersburg
5. Berlin

Greatest Travel Experiences:
1. Spending a night on the Great Wall
2. Staying in a small Russian village on Lake Baikal
3. Staying with a family of nomads in the Gobi Desert, Mongolia
4. Trans-Siberian Railroad
5. Just Cambodia in general from Angkor to Phnom Penh to the beach

Next on my list: Central Asia, Myanmar, Borneo, Tahiti, Nepal, India, Turkey
cacheSurfer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chiaa wrote:
Thailand and Costa Rica is a very close second.

http://www.whatthebook.com

I'm surprised Costa Rica hasn't received many votes. I spent a few weeks there and the people were nice, great food, cheap, rainforests, and some great waves too.

I don't understand the votes for New Orleans, Louisana. Dirty and trashy. I was actually born there and I can't stand the place.
matko

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never been to New Orleans but would love to spend a significant amount of time there.

Trashy appeals to me! Very Happy

what else is so bad about it and Louisiana?
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved Lousiana.. particularly New Orleans! Unique culture, great food, great architecture, everything.

Try growing up in Michigan.. with Michigan cities.. UGLY DIRTY and DANGEROUS! At least New Orleans is gorgeous and you actually have people around. Plus touristic city.. its all good.. and fun too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10

Jump to: