Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The best place you've been...?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

krats1976 wrote:
Tiger Beer wrote:
What got you on Washington DC? Just curious as its high on list for my 2005 list of where to live.

I lived out there for a few months for student teaching and I fell head-over-heels in love with it. I don't know why I'm so hooked... It's probably a lot of things all rolled together. Here's a list that of things I love that is in no way comprehensive!

1-That every corner has some place in history.
2-The museums, the art, the culture, the architecture, etc. etc--yes, I know other cities have these things, but I love the museums, art, culture and architecture that're unique to DC.
3-I love that one day I was stuck in traffic on Georgia Ave. and I noticed this random little sculpture garden smushed between two buildings.
4-The bucket drummer on the corner of 14th & Constitution.
5-The fact that none of the buildings in the District can be higher then the Washington Monument so you don't have to totally strain your neck to see the sky.
6-In spite of the old fogies up on Capitol Hill, it's a young city. I think I read somewhere that 60% of people around the beltloop are in their 20's and 30's.
7-Diversity. There's someone there from every corner of the globe.
8-Greenery. Even though you're in a densely populated area there is sooo much vegetation. Especially if you get lost on some of those little roads going into the city where you can't see the houses because they're hidden by their high security gates and tons and tons of trees.

Hmm.. had to delete that picture! Looks like the Mormon Church thats just north of San Diego.. gives me the creeps!!

Hmm.. you are definetely making me want to go for DC in 2005.. I�ve loved living in both San Francisco and New York City for that exact same diversity. DC seems pretty much like NYC in that regard.

I�ve been getting SO much into politics particularly moreso but its always been there to some extent. Would be interesting to experience how that city clicks and knowing the inside inside as a local to it.. definetely a city for political junkies!!

Just curious.. how about the crime and such? NYC is legendary for the same thing.. but I found it to be a great city for living and working in the U.S. But having experienced NYC first-hand it seems fine.. having never lived in DC.. its in the back of mind.. I think NYC went down to something like 125th in violence stats in the U.S.. but DC still remains way way high as far as I know..

For young 20s and 30s people.. I�ve heard that DC is now rated extremely high in the places to be young and living out the singles lifestyle. Miami was #1 and DC is now #2.. perhaps because of its young adult population.
ryleeys

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you stay out of Southeast, the crime rate is fine. We had some problems around the University of Maryland near northeast DC last year... car thefts and such.

Northern VA is all pretty much fine and Montgomery County is good. I wouldn't recommend living in PG County in Maryland.
krats1976

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ryleeys wrote:
Just don't go into Southeast and you're fine.

Some of the other student teachers were working in SE. A bunch of white, Mormon girls from BYU student teaching in Anacostia. Laughing Amazingly, they all made it through unscathed.

I was in NE, which isn't much better, but having Howard University next door really made it a lot safer.
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Washington DC
http://www.lonelyplanet.com/destinations/north_america/washington_dc/

What are these places all about?
Quote:
Dupont Circle is an upscale business and residential address with a groovy fringe; Adams-Morgan is bohemian, funky and international; Shaw has historically elite residential areas and ghettos, and Georgetown has pristine historic houses, a university and lively bars. With Northwest quadrant real estate spiralling out of control, Brookland and the Northeast quadrant are showing promising development.
Zed

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what do you think now TB? (After travelling bits of Europe)
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zed wrote:
So what do you think now TB? (After travelling bits of Europe)

I realized (or confirmed for myself) that Europe definetely isnt in my longterm travel plans. I doubt Id spend much more time here than the time I have here now.

Also, Latin America dropped a couple notches. I still like that part of the world.. but all in all I much prefer Asia all the way around.

Asia is tops.. followed closely by North America and Australia.. the latter of which Ive become quite curious about.

Still cant help but think Hawaii might hold a little bit of everything for me (speaking longterm).

Asia-wise.. much more interested in Southeast Asia.. followed slightly by Japan.. Korea not too far behind.. and almost no interest whatsoever in China or India.
Zed

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your interest in Korea has been picking up again?
just because

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tiger,
Where do you get all this money for your continual travel????

Do you have a money tree??? Very Happy
Zed

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or a money pit?
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just because wrote:
Tiger,
Where do you get all this money for your continual travel????

Do you have a money tree??? Very Happy

Send money to..

Embezzlement, Bribes and Charity Drives, Inc.
c/o Tiger Beer
Swiss Bank Acct 587987345-43287
TECO

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tiger,

I agree with what you've said - I can say, though, that Australia (Queensland) was a huge disappointement on a variety of levels.

I think North/South East Asia is a pretty cool place.

Eastern Europe may be more to your liking.
just because

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tiger Beer wrote:
Send money to..

c/o Tiger Beer

The bank told me that the 10 million won didn't go through...damn it Very Happy
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just because wrote:
Tiger Beer wrote:
Send money to..

c/o Tiger Beer

The bank told me that the 10 million won didn't go through...damn it Very Happy

Better come right away to Innsbruck, Austria!! Theres a million won in for you if you do! Wink

Ah.. hell.. if you come here.. keep the 10 million.. and Ill buy you a beer or two or three or eight. Austria is great.. but with some Aussies in it, it would be even better.
just because

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny story on Australia and Austria word play.

When I sent my passport here for my E2 approval guess where Korean immigration sent it to, you guessed it, Austria Very Happy .

Anyhow, would love to go but I'm saving for my Indonesia trip in 6 weeks or so. have fun with all the ski bunnies there.
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have some great t-shirts over here on it as well.. "Austria: The One Without the Kangaroos" and other such stuff.

Ive also had to explain to upon countless people that Im still in Europe and didnt somehow shift continents again either.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10

Jump to: