Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Churches with English services

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fiveeagles

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 9:12 am    Post subject: Churches with English services Reply with quote

Where are some of the better churches in South Korea? What is the Christian community like in South Korea?
Saxiif

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well there's that huge-ass church in Yoido. Biggest Pentecostal church in the world...

Scary having that many fundies in one place I'd imagine...
SuperHero

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try

http://myiwe.com the pastor is American and fluent in KOrean, been living in Korea for 22 years. Anyhow I've been attending there since the English worship started in 1998.
fiveeagles

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about Jeju island? What is the community like down there? Any thoughts?
kermo

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in Gyeonggi province, and I've visited a few different churches. There aren't heaps of English speaking churches, and so it's hard to be really picky. I would steer clear of the Full Gospel Church in Youido, personally, as I found their message offensive and unbiblical ("God wants you to be rich, and he'll give you plenty of money if you donate enough to the church." If you want proof of this, I'll send you the transcript of the sermon I heard.)

I've been to Sarang Community Church fairly often, and it's easy to find from the Gangnam subway station. The worship is lively and well-rehearsed. The sermons are cheesy and occasionally brainless (I can't sit through them). The best thing about the church is their small groups. The 2-o'clock meeting is composed of friendly, intelligent people-- I think they're terrific.

I've heard there are house churchs in Suwon, which is well worth checking out. Koreans are very friendly toward Christians and many identify themselves as such. It's difficult to connect with a Christian community unless you're in a large city, but it's possible.
Moldy Rutabaga

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone has compiled a list of Korean churches with English services, I think it would be useful here. I've thought about starting a list. I only know of services in Cheongju and Busan, and they are more traditional services (but certainly not "fundamentalist").

It would be very nice if once-- just once, in the entire history of Dave's ESL-- if a thread on the church could be discussed without it immediately becoming a slamfest against (or for) Christians.

Ken:>
pollyplummer

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 4:41 am    Post subject: churches Reply with quote

I've visited one English speaking church in my area, but I haven't gone back. It was just so mellow and reserved, and well-rehearsed. I dont know what kind of church you're looking for, and I'm not sure where to suggest. I asked my co-workers, "Where can I find a crazy church?" Like where they believe in miracles, healings, prophecy, raising the dead, that kind of thing... they had a few suggestions but none of them were places where they speak English. Still, it may be good for me to check them out anyway. From my experience and from what I've heard, many English speaking churches here are very tame. I don't want to go just to say that I went or to punch a time card or anything like that. So I havent really been looking very hard. I'll let you know if I do find something though.
Aidge

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 11:41 pm    Post subject: Okay now... Reply with quote

Gee, original poster, it seems you were looking for some suggestions on CHURCHES to attend? That's cool, how bout I try to help you out with that? I really like this small church in Suji called Cypress Creek. You can check their website at cypresscreekchurchkorea.com ...
They're from Texas and they just stick to the bible. Plus, they're not afraid to be "charismatic". There's also Onnuri Church, which can be found in Yangjae or near Seobinggo station.
Now, to all you others spending the thread yacking about the validity of Christianity, read "Evidence That Demands a Verdict" by Josh McDowell for a true skeptic's investigation into faith. See what happened to that atheist. It just may interest you, if nothing else! Wink
canuckistan
Mod Team
Mod Team

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of these have websites/meetings in English:

Templestay: www.templestaykorea.net 732-9925~7
Yongsan Baptist Church: www.yongsanbaptist.org
796-0284/011-731-0573
Catholic International Parish of Seoul: http://search.catholic.or.kr (K)
793-2070
Myeondong Cathedral: www.mdsd.or.kr (K) 774-3890 (ext. 0)
Lotus Lantern Int'l Buddhist Center: www.lotuslantern.net 735-5347
Seoul International Zen Center: www.soback.kornet.net/~sizc
900-4326
International Buddhist Information Center: www.buddhapia.com/eng
Seoul Central Masjid: 794-7307
Seoul Union Church: www.seoulunionchurch.org
333-7393/011-9773-9076
Youngnak Presbyterian Church: http://iwe.youngnak.net 2280-0228/011-613-5896
SaRang Community Church: http://english.sarang.org 3479-7706
Jogyesa Temple: www.ijogyesa.net 732-2115
Mokdong Catholic Church: http://church.catholic.or.kr/mok (K)
2643-221~3 (ext 109)
Yeoksam Catholic Church: www.englishmass.com 553-0801 (ext. 0)
Korea Muslim Federation: www.koreaislam.org 793-6908
Gwanglim Korea Methodist Church: www.klmc.net 2056-5600
Somang Presbyterian Church: www.somang.or.kr (K) 521-9191~6
The Anglican Church of Korea: www.seouldiocese.net 738-6597
Yeouido Full Gospel Church: http://yfgc.fgtv.com (K) 782-4851
krats1976

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe we can expand this thread to English religious services in general. Along those lines, I found this in the Korea Times http://times.hankooki.com/service/religious.htm:

Quote:

Protestant

SEOUL INTERNATIONAL BAPTIST CHURCH (02-793-6267/333-0662)

English language church service offered for international community. Sunday activities include Bible study for all ages, morning worship, Call Pastor Tim Swihart. Located near Itaewon and 5-minute walk from Yongsan U.S. military base.

YOUNG NAK PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH (2280-0228)

Downtown/ International worship in English. Sunday 3 to 5 p.m. in the Mission Chapel. Pastor Bill Majors (011-613-5896) English/ Japanese translation in Korean worship. http://iwe.youngnak.net (map)

SEOUL UNION CHURCH (333-7393)

Worship with English-speaking community. Sunday School for all ages afterwards. Located in the spacious Foreigner's Cemetery Park, north of the Yanghwa Bridge.

MYUNGSUNG CHURCH (02-440-9004 or www.msews.com)

Inter-denominational format of praise and worship at 1:20 p.m. Sundays. Located in Myongil-dong, near exit 4 of Myongil Station on subway line 5.

SEOUL INTERNATIONAL CHURCH OF CHRIST (697-7488, 601-0645)

Undenominational services: Sunday English Worship. Call for weekday Bible class schedules and location of church building.

HALLELUJAH CHRISTIAN CHURCH (570-7007)

Inter-denominational and evangelical worship service in English Sunday, led by the Rev. Mark H. Senter at the newly-built sanctuary (Rm. 101) in Yatap-dong, Pundang.

ONNURI CHURCH (793-9686)

Dynamic worship and expository preaching draw Englishspeaking people into our services each Sunday. Youth ministry and Sunday School. Located 15 minutes from Ichon station and South Post Gate 17

YONGSAN BAPTIST CHURCH (796-0284):

Independent Baptist church located next to the Crown Hotel, providing English Bible study classes and worship services 9:45 and 11 a.m. and 6 p.m. on Sunday. Midweek Bible study Thursdays 7:30 p.m.

DAEJEON DAE HEUNG INTERNATIONAL WORSHIP SERVICE (042) 525-8881:

Every Sunday at 2:30 p.m. English language bible classes for adults and teens at 1:15 p.m. and for children at 9 a.m. Korean service at 11 a.m. is translated into English.

21 MISSION SEOUL SUNG RAK CHURCH (831-0296/0775)

Service at 10 a.m., noon, 2 p.m. (simultaneous English or French interpretation). International Chapel and Bible Study at 2 p.m. Service for the Chinese, Japanese or Vietnamese available upon request.

INTERNATIONAL LUTHERAN CHURCH (794-6274)

conducts creative Worship Services in English each Sunday at 8:30 and 11:00 a.m. Nursery care is provided. Near Hannam Market. Rev. Michael G. Fonner is the Pastor.

KOREA BIBLE STUDY CENTRE (016-557-3102)

Free Bible seminars in simple English Saturdays 7-8:30 p.m.

SOMANG PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH (512-9191)

English service, sermon by the Rev. Robert von Oeyen at 2 p.m. in Mission Building. Located in Sinsa-dong, Kangnam-ku near Apkujong Station of Orange Line #3.

SEOUL BIBLE CHURCH (876-3939/031-396-4532)

Glorifying Christ by preaching the Word. Expositional sermons in English. Sunday School at 10 a.m. Sunday Worship at 11 a.m. Wednesday service at 7 p.m. Take green line (#2) subway to Bongcheon Station. Exit 6.

Christian International Church of Daejeon (042-636-2247 or www.welcometodaejeon.org)

A ministry to the English speaking community of Daejeon. Sunday services at 10:30 a.m. Located on the campus of Taejon Christian International School, Ojong-dong, Taedok-ku. Pastor: Rev. Travis Peterson.

YOIDO FULL GOSPEL CHURCH (783-9920)

Sunday service at 9 a.m., 11 a.m. and 1 p.m. with simultaneous interpretation in English, Chinese, Japanese, Frecnch, Indonesian and others.

INTERNATIONAL CHRISTIAN ASSEMBLY OF GOD (02-2294-7244)

Worship service for the family in English meets Sunday at 10 a.m. in Chamwon near exit 4 of Chamwon Station on subway line 3.

GERMAN PROTESTANT CHURCH (02-749-3738)

Every first and third Sunday at 5 p.m. at International Lutheran Church.

SAINT NICHOLAS ORTHODOX CHURCH (362-7005)

Russian-language church service led by priest Theophan Kim. Services offered at 10 a.m every Sunday. Located in Ahyon-dong, near exit 4 of Aeogae Station on subway line 5.

Catholic:

GERMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH

Service every Sunday at 9:00 a.m. and every Thursday at 7:00 p.m. at International Catholic Church, Hannam-dong. Father Erik Richter (792-7372) (dekathge@chol.com)

MYONGDONG CATHEDRAL (774-3890)

Weekday and Saturday masses in Korean at 6:30 a.m., 7:30 a.m., 6:00 p.m. and 7:00 p.m. and Sunday masses in English at 9:00 a.m.

SONGBUK-DONG CATHOLIC CHURCH (762-1986)

English mass every Sunday at 10 a.m.

HYEHWA-DONG CATHOLIC CHURCH (765- 0870 or 011-317-0143)

Tagalog Mass every Sunday at 1:30 p.m. for Filipinos. Perpetual help Novena and Mass every Wednesday (8:30 p.m.) at the Filipino Catholic Center.

CATHOLIC INTERNATIONAL PARISH OF SEOUL (793-2070)

French mass every Saturday at 6:30 p.m. at the Francis Chapel; English mass every Sunday at 9 a.m. and 11 a.m. at the Francis Hall; German mass every Thursday at 7 p.m. and Sunday at 10 a.m. at the Francis Chapel (792-7372); Italian and Spanish mass every Sunday at 12 p.m. at the Francis Chapel.

INCHON CATHOLIC INTERNATIONAL COMMUNITY (032-761-6645)

Fr. Raymond T. Sabio, M.S.C., Inchon Port Catholic Chaplain celebrates Sunday Holy Mass in English at 4 p.m. in the Catholic Center basement hall.

Buddhist:

SEOUL INTERNATIONAL ZEN CENTER (900-4326)

At Hwagye-sa Temple in Suyu-dong holds public sessions for meditation and Dharma talk every Sunday at 1 p.m. Daily regular services at 4 a.m. and 6 p.m.

LOTUS LANTERN INTERNATIONAL BUDDHIST CENTER (02-735-5347)

An international Buddhist community offers information, classes, activities and books on Buddhism. Meditation meeting for bowing and chanting on Thursdays 6:00-7:30 p.m. and Kwan Um 108 Group meeting on Sundays 6:00-7:30 p.m.

BUDDHA TEMPLE (051-73-7119)

An international Buddhist community, offering Zen meditational retreats and lectures (Anapanasati and Milinda sutras) for monks, nuns and lay persons. Daily regular services at 4 a.m. and 6 p.m. For information, ask for Ven. Maitreya (Miruk) at Pulta-sa in Sanchong- gun, Kyongsang-namdo.

Muslim:

THE SEOUL CENTRAL MASJID (794-7307)

Juma Prayers in Korea, Arabic and English at 1 p.m. every Friday, weekdays five times daily, one hour and 20 minutes before sunrise, 1 and 4 p.m. sunset.

krats1976

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, there are English branches of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Seoul, Busan, Deagu, and a few other locations near US military bases. If you are looking for one of these, please PM me and I can get you contact information and locations.
Skippy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes there are some Mormon english services in Korea. Usually the big cities will have them or even the small branches will find you enough english speaking members to help you.

Just ask any Missionary walking buy and they should be able to point you out.

Good Luck to All Finding a Church and Hope you find one that suits you well.
Harpeau

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to recommend the Chondeong Methodist Church English Service (near City Hall) at 2pm Sundays. The minister is very Moderate and open minded. Korea tends to be on the conservative fundamentalistic side on the whole religiously IMHO. But this church is great for those who like a more liberal church~ theologically speaking.

Cheers!
Harpeau
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: