Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Will my phone work in Japan?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mashimaro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 8:57 pm    Post subject: Will my phone work in Japan? Reply with quote

will it?
peppergirl

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Will my phone work in Japan? Reply with quote

Mashimaro wrote:
will it?

No! You can get the service, but will have to pay like 2000 won/min or something, also for receiving.
kangnamdragon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Will my phone work in Japan? Reply with quote

Mashimaro wrote:
will it?

Depends on what phone you have.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mashimaro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Will my phone work in Japan? Reply with quote

kangnamdragon wrote:
Mashimaro wrote:
will it?

It is a LG Cyon job, I buy those cards to top up the credit..
Got an answer for me?
kangnamdragon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Will my phone work in Japan? Reply with quote

Mashimaro wrote:
kangnamdragon wrote:
Mashimaro wrote:
will it?

It is a LG Cyon job, I buy those cards to top up the credit..
Got an answer for me?

No, I don't believe it will. I think only the Samsung phones have roaming capabilities. If it is 019, then no. Especially, having a prepaid phone, I highly doubt it.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
sadsac

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. As a prepaid unit, it does not have a roaming capability. Korean phones as a rule only work here. Smile
cellphone

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an older model, Samsung 011 Anycall. Went over to Japan and although my phone "frontpage" menu was still fully functional, on the little tiny phone icon on the screen there was a slash through it, meaning "no phone" if you will. (You know, it's the same as if you go deep into a thick concrete building, underground 3 floors or something, you get the same icon on your phone screen even here in Korea).... However, when I went to Thailand a few weeks ago, it was wierd -- I couldn't even get the regular main graphics display on my screen, meaning the phone was fully non-functional. So in otherwords, my phone was able to "tell the difference" of me being in Thailand versus Japan, meaning I guess SOME service is still available in Japan? If anyone knows anything about that at all please let us know.
komtengi

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sadsac wrote:
No. As a prepaid unit, it does not have a roaming capability. Korean phones as a rule only work here. Smile

actually not true... I have international roaming and have used mine in australia and the states
schwa

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want one like that. Details?
komtengi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me clarify what I said. I used it when I went back home for a few weeks, and for a trip to the states. So I was being billed at SK at a huge price I might add. For you to take one home will be useless unless the country you are from runs the same system as here. For short trips away its a charm, but you will pay to recieve calls too.

This is my current phone

this is one of the phones that is capable of international roaming, there are others but Im not sure which. You will however have to go into one of the big SK's ie: Chongro, Yongsan. And register it. It works in Australia, NZ, Canada, US, Peru, Mexico, Saipan, Guam, Japan, China, Thailand, Taiwan and HK. Some countries only have certain cities available.
http://www.sktelecom.com/kor/service/special_service/global_roaming/auto/index.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: