Joined: 22 Oct 2002
Location: Los Angeles, California
|Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 6:49 pm Post subject: FORUM GUIDELINES - READ FIRST! (Updated 2004-08-07)
While the administrators and moderators of this forum will attempt to remove or edit any generally objectionable material as quickly as possible, it is impossible to review every message. Therefore you acknowledge that all posts made to these forums express the views and opinions of the author and not the administrators, moderators or webmaster (except for posts by these people) and hence will not be held liable.
You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic or post at any time should they see fit. As a user you agree to any information you have entered above being stored in a database. While this information will not be disclosed to any third party without your consent the webmaster, administrator and moderators cannot be held responsible for any hacking attempt that may lead to the data being compromised.
The above is what is found on your service agreement when you first registered as a member into this forum. It serves as a guideline for the administration and moderators when judging posts and threads. However, new issues have arisen that the following guidelines seek to remedy.
It should be noted that, like all things, these rules will continue to change and evolve with constructive feedback from users and from experience. It is our hope that these policies will create open, honest, and civil discussion. As always, we welcome feedback about any concerns that you may have so feel free to contact any moderator.
It should also be noted that this is a privately owned and operated site which is tied to an enterprise; Therefore posting here is a privilege rather than a constitutional 'right' to free speech and freedom of expression. To that end the administrator and his representatives reserve the prerogative to censor anything posted on these forums, and furthermore reserve the right to terminate a user account at any time without warning.
1. If the thread is inappropriate for the board, it will be locked or removed without notice, but if it belongs in another forum it might just be moved. In other words, if an off-topic thread is found in the job-related forum it may be moved.
2. If the thread is flamebait, it will be locked or removed without notice. Individual flamebait may be deleted or edited at the moderators' descretion. Certain users who continue to post flamebait or engage in other questionable practices (such as trolling) may be subject to more serious sanctions.
3. If the thread turns into pure flaming, it will be locked or removed without notice. Sometimes a moderator may split the thread or delete certain portions in order to keep the discussion going.
4. If the thread turns from serious discussion into a chatroom the thread may be locked or removed without notice. Users are encouraged to use pms for chatting.
5. If the thread has run its course, and the same arguments keep on being brought up, it may be locked.
6. If the thread is frivolous or redundant (a new thread very similar to other already active threads), it may be locked or removed without notice.
7. If the thread is spam it may be locked or removed without notice.
8. Members have every right to enjoy a safe and cordial environment for discussion. It is not acceptable for Dave's ESL Cafe users to harrass, stalk or intimidate any other Dave's ESL Cafe members, on or off the board, privately or publicly. Members are also not to use Dave's ESL Cafe's forums or private messaging system as a means to arrange fights or threaten violence. Users found to be doing any of the above will face immediate sanctions.
9. Moderators are users too, and welcome public debate and discussion about issues and opinions they express which are unrelated to the discharge of their moderator duties. The moderators may permit public threads discussing board/moderator policy, at their discretion. However, publicly attacking moderators for the performance of their duties will result in a locked or deleted post, or more serious sanctions, depending on the situation. The moderators always welcome private messages from users regarding any issue.
10. Self-policing by the community at large is encouraged. Please take a moment and read over your comments before you post, and if you come across another user's post or thread which you feel violates the guidelines (or is in some other way questionable or potentially inappropriate), please send a private message (PM) to a moderator with a link to the material in question. Posting a reply in the thread (e.g.- "Just wait till the mods delete your post!" or "How come the mods are allowing this? ") is neither effective nor an appropriate method of dealing with such incidents. Please remember that, given the volume of posts on these forums, we are not always able to view every post or act in a timely manner all of the time.
11. Articles that are more than 300 words may be edited or deleted. Try to keep your comments concise. If an article is longer, post a link and quote only the really important parts to your argument.
12. Avatars are to be no larger than 100 pixels wide. They must not attempt to portray the user as having an official status here (e.g. mimiking ranks or copying avatars of mod team members).
13. Posts that contain attempts to bypass the obscenity filter may be removed without notice. Repeated instances of this from a particular user may result in moderator sanctions.
14. Threads older than one month in the non-Korea threads ("off-topic" and "current events", and "Buy/Sell/Trade" in particular) may be deleted at the moderators' discretion. Obsolete and time-sensitive threads in the other forums may also be deleted where the moderators feel this is appropriate.
15. No job vacancies, or job wanted posts may be posted on this board. This includes requests for temporary replacements. Jobs may be advertised only on the Korean Job Board. Please post any messages looking for work in the Post your resume section of the site. Any posts that recruit for jobs or solicit work on these forums will be deleted.
16. Ignoring warnings from moderators or administration to correct behavior may result in a permanent ban.
17. Please note that Private Message (PM) notification from Moderators to users of these forums in instances where a user's post or thread has been locked, removed, or temporarily relocated to the Moderators' Forum is a courtesy extended by the moderators rather than an inherent right of users, and as such this courtesy may not neccessarily be extended during times of high volume (e.g. an incident or a user's actions which engender a greater workload for the moderators) and/or may not neccessarily be extended to those users who have repeatedly disregarded Forum guidelines in the past. If you have a question regarding a post please send a private message to a moderator which provides as such information as the forum and thread it was posted in, the approximate time it was posted, and a brief description of its contents. Private messages which do not provide enough information for the moderators to track (e.g. "Hey! Where is my post from 3 days ago?!?!" or "What have you done with my posts?!?") will not receive a response. Inquiries regarding other users' posts (i.e. not your own) or inquiries regarding other users' sanctions (e.g. "Why was user X banned?" "Why was user Y's post removed?") will not receive a response.
18. Questions/concerns/comments regarding the administration and/or moderation of these forums are to be addressed in either Private Message to the moderators or in an email to email@example.com The moderators will endeavor to reply to all Private Messages in a timely manner but users should not expect an immediate reply and your patience and understanding is requested. Threads concerning the administration and moderation of these forum will at the moderators' descretion be locked or removed without notice.
19. For all of the above, the terms 'rules' and 'guidelines' shall be considered interchangeable.