Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gaining weight?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NYC_Gal

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Senior wrote:
Bloopity Bloop wrote:
probablylauren wrote:
My solution (well at least I'm fooling myself) is Bibambap. I figure its better than the Battered/Fried Fish/Pork cutlets or BBQ Chicken and Beer.

Plus it's cheap.

Oh no. Not the BBBAP! Wait til Senior finds this thread, lol.

I'd rather eat BBQ chicken than bibimbap anyday. White rice is one of the worst things you can eat. Totally useless and killer on your blood sugar level.

Haha, I was browsing down this thread, getting more and more furious, then I saw this post and now my screen is covered in bacon grease (because that is what I drink instead of sugary juice).

These days, I'm trying to not get personally offended by other peoples food choices. Except for BBBAP (I'm stealing that acronym btw), only an improvident lackwit would think that slurry is healthy.

I ordered BBBAP (I'm stealing it too!) to my apartment today but scooped all of the veg into a bowl of brown rice and barley that I made myself. I was craving the vegetables, but threw away the white rice. My pet rats don't even eat white rice. Spoiled, yeah Smile
Zilong

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're an active person and dont' over eat, there's nothing wrong with simple carbs.
Senior

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zilong wrote:
If you're an active person and dont' over eat, there's nothing wrong with simple carbs.

Until you get into your 40s and realize you have wrecked your metabolism.
air76

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I think that I gain weight in Korea because there is nothing to do on a weekend night in my town except eat something nice or go drinking.

I am not looking for a lecture on how to entertain myself...I do plenty of things that are not eating and drinking. I am just saying that in my town when it's Friday night and we feel like going out to do something we always end up eating something as our entertainment. (or drinking, but we don't do that too often)

I also second the notion that Korean food isn't as uber-healthy as people think...the food at our school's cafeteria is fried 90% of the time, made of extremely low-grade meat, and consists mostly of a big pile of white rice. We try to bring our own lunch as we get stomach aches from the greasy food. While the 'traditional' Korean diet might be healthy enough, what people actually eat on a weekly basis isn't all that much different from Western diets.
curiousaboutkorea

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best part about Korean food is how regular it makes me. All that cabbage is good for something.
amcnutt

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Gaining weight? Reply with quote

ashland wrote:
amcnutt wrote:
I've heard many people state that they've gained weight in Korea. I'm going to be there in a few months, and I was wondering why this is.
I thought Korean food was quite healthy, and many Koreans aren't overweight.
Do people just eat a lot of rice? Or do people eat out a lot at restaurants (which can have lots of calories in sauces and stuff)?
I just wanted to know what to watch out for. I'm not overweight or skinny, pretty average weight but I don't want to balloon in Seoul Razz

you need to control your appetite and work out on a regular basis. that's all it takes to stay in shape. don't blame anything else.

Ummm I do control my appetite and I do work out. I have a very healthy weight and lifestyle. I haven't even gone to Seoul yet, I was just wondering. Did you even read my post? I'm not "blaming anything else". I was just wondering why some people gain weight in Korea as opposed to North America, which has tons of fast food.
I'm from Canada btw Smile
Bloopity Bloop

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Gaining weight? Reply with quote

amcnutt wrote:
I was just wondering why some people gain weight in Korea as opposed to North America, which has tons of fast food.
I'm from Canada btw Smile

A lot of people don't like Korean food. I've met a lot of foreigners who end up eating burgers, fried chicken, and pizza all the time.

The food in North America is undoubtedly 10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 times better in every possible way--even the Korean food! People have lots of options due to variety. Here, they don't have as many.

That is my total BS guess of the day.

Then again, I don't think that many people gain weight here. And the ones that do simply had poor habits at home--but in Korea they're just sitting at a desk all day or eating junk food because they can't eat the local stuff. Poor habits follow you wherever you go. I've got a friend that has been constantly complaining about gaining weight in Korea while eating fried chicken, drinking sodas, eating all those cream-filled breads from Paris Baguette. She blames it on the "fact" (which she based on anecdotal evidence from a few of her friends) that guys lose weight in Korea and girls gain weight in Korea Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes And if I dare bring up a change in diet, I get railed and am told that it shouldn't matter what she eats because she "has a long walk to school" and goes to the gym once a week. Can't disagree with that...
Weigookin74

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Banana_Man wrote:
A lot of people struggle to figure things out - eating well can be a little tough (esp at the start) and tendencies to eat fried chicken / bacon / hamburgers develop as they are much easier. It helps to know a bit of the language and to know where to search - once you get it down eating healthily (IMO) is easier here.

edit:for terrible spelling.

Yes, you hit the nail on the head! Not knowing where to go or what to eat. So, you go for what is familiar. If you come duing summer, you might stay inside with the air con cranked and never get any exercise. It's really hot here. If you're a Canadian use to dry cold winters, winters here will be warm, but sometimes more damp. If you either find it damp or cold (because you're from a warmer place), it may keep you indoors yet again. These scenarios caused me weight gain my first year. I bought a good bike and brought it down. Spring and fall are best for outdoor exercising. But, this spring....well.....
Senior

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Senior wrote:
Zilong wrote:

Until you get into your 40s and realize you have wrecked your metabolism.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=carbs-against-cardio
jiberish

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just don't eat processed korean food. That stuff is the worst. If you can consider it even food.
KevinLS

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the US I would belong to a gym and run, bike, swim, and lift weights averaging 4, maybe 5 times a week. I'd eat fairly a good, a lot of veggies and fruit.
Here I'm doing good if I do only one or two hours of biking or running per week. And my diet is significantly worse than at home.

I'm still the same weight as when I left. But I can feel my composition worsening Sad

Same as anywhere, I imagine it takes effort.
NYC_Gal

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I eat brown rice, black barley, acorn or buckwheat noodles, loads of veggies and tofu, nuts, and the occasional bit of seafood.

Kimchi is eaten, but in moderation, due to the salt content.

I go to the health club, but the ellipticals are crap so I don't do the amount of cardio that I used to, but I still walk everywhere, as I did at home. I do pilates 3 times a week. I don't drink.

I've gained 7 kilo this year, which is nuts.

I can't wait to go home for home leave and load up on the natural supplements that I thought would be available here. Greens powder, green tea extract (you can add it to your fresh-squeezed OJ and there's little to no taste, with all the benefits), brazil nuts, edible goji berries, and such. Don't forget the vegetable rennet tablets so that I can make cottage cheese instead of paneer.

And fiber-laden whole-wheat pasta!

Having to subsist on mainly carbs has done this. I never ate as much rice or noodles (I hardly ate noodles!) when I was home, because I had variety.

I've started losing a little, having switched to rice and beans more often, with a high beans to rice ratio. It's tough though.
Draz

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Gaining weight? Reply with quote

Bloopity Bloop wrote:
I've got a friend that has been constantly complaining about gaining weight in Korea while eating fried chicken, drinking sodas, eating all those cream-filled breads from Paris Baguette.

I stop in Paris Baguette on the way to work sometimes. Every time, I see the whole small cheesecake and think about buying it and eating the entire thing in one sitting. Just thought of it and wanted to share.

I gained weight at first, then I lost all I'd gained and then some. What changed? My job, so I no longer had a big ol' tray of school lunch every day, usually with a double helping of rice because lunch was the absolute highlight of the day. I also wasn't getting through the rest of the day after lunch by fantasizing about the chocolate bar I was going to eat when I got home.

Watch out for emotional eating!
Bloopity Bloop

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Gaining weight? Reply with quote

Draz wrote:

I stop in Paris Baguette on the way to work sometimes. Every time, I see the whole small cheesecake and think about buying it and eating the entire thing in one sitting. Just thought of it and wanted to share.

I gained weight at first, then I lost all I'd gained and then some. What changed? My job, so I no longer had a big ol' tray of school lunch every day, usually with a double helping of rice because lunch was the absolute highlight of the day. I also wasn't getting through the rest of the day after lunch by fantasizing about the chocolate bar I was going to eat when I got home.

Laughing I actually bought a whole cake from PB yesterday and ate it in one sitting for breakfast this morning! No joke! It was delicious.

Congrats on the weight loss. Emotional eating is always a danger. Now you got me hankering for a Snickers bar.
NYC_Gal

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Gaining weight? Reply with quote

Bloopity Bloop wrote:
Draz wrote:

Laughing I actually bought a whole cake from PB yesterday and ate it in one sitting for breakfast this morning! No joke! It was delicious.

Congrats on the weight loss. Emotional eating is always a danger. Now you got me hankering for a Snickers bar.

If the Snickers bar is your entire meal, you're fine. I have that for breakfast sometimes, and am full for hours. It's only 250 calories or so. Definitely under 300. When it's in addition to a meal, it's not so good.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9

Jump to: