Site Search:
 
TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gaining weight?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Zyzyfer



Joined: 29 Jan 2003
Location: who, what, where, when, why, how?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

500 to 700 calories? My office's cafeteria (full disclosure I'm not at a public school) serves what could be considered a fairly spartan menu each meal. Never below 900 calories, and we're talking a main and three skimpy sides. When they serve that gross-ass hamburg steak BS it tops 1100.

I've also done public school lunches back in 2003. Perhaps the quality has improved since my time there but they generally seemed unhealthy and tasted like crap.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
KimchiNinja



Joined: 01 May 2012
Location: Gangnam

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peace Train wrote:
More calories, A LOT more sodium, more carbs, more sugars and 3x the cholesterol.


You're cool in my book because you are not an English teacher (high five bro), but are we seriously saying a Big Mac is healthier than bibimbop because of some numbers on a page?

What about common sense?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jrk888



Joined: 22 Jun 2011

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, I do it small portions throughout the day. I eat healthy. I was healthy in the U.S. Very lean, very athletic, very low body fat. It was not until Korea that I gained so much weight so quick and the only time I don't eat what I want is school lunch. I still keep the same exercise routine (said this 3 times now). I've heard enough stories about people whose co-workers hate them because they refuse to eat school lunch that I'm not willing to let my year in Korea be tarnished over it; I'd rather be respectful. Not to mention, when I refuse to take certain things (corn dogs; certain sauces; fried things on a stick) I get questioned by six different co-workers why I didn't take it as if I did something wrong.

Truthfully, it could be my specific school. Other teachers complain about it as well. And you say cut down on the rice but unfortunately there are days that I really, really do not want to take much of anything else and quite frankly I need to feed my body. We have days where it's some kind of excuse for pizza, deep fried cinnamon potato chips, and french fries. We get meals with hot dogs in them sometimes. Fried food quite a bit. I never ate fried food before I came to Korea, here I eat it at least 3 times a week.

You can say it doesn't make sense to you but it's deductive reasoning. I ate healthy in the U.S. Started eating Korean lunches to remain respectful and gained 25 pounds from lunch alone. Nothing else has changed in my routine. I drink as little as I did before, I exercise as much as I did, and when I cook for myself I eat what I want. It's pork, chicken that isn't chicken breasts (I only ate breasts in the U.S.), fried food, and rice. I will admit it could just be my school though. I'm just sharing my story for those who can relate.

Also I agree it's healthier than US school lunches. The difference is when I was a teacher in the US it wasn't disrespectful to the entire country and culture to bring my own lunch.

One more thing: I like Korea. I'm not complaining about Korea. This is the worst part of Korea for me: the food and the weight gain.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jrk888



Joined: 22 Jun 2011

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KimchiNinja wrote:
Peace Train wrote:
More calories, A LOT more sodium, more carbs, more sugars and 3x the cholesterol.


You're cool in my book because you are not an English teacher (high five bro), but are we seriously saying a Big Mac is healthier than bibimbop because of some numbers on a page?

What about common sense?


I don't think he was saying a Big Mac is healthier exactly, but that a Big Mac is really unhealthy and looking at the nutritional facts bibimbab doesn't look to be a whole lot better, especially considering sodium, cholesterol, sugar, etc.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
KimchiNinja



Joined: 01 May 2012
Location: Gangnam

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrk888 wrote:
KimchiNinja wrote:
Peace Train wrote:
More calories, A LOT more sodium, more carbs, more sugars and 3x the cholesterol.


You're cool in my book because you are not an English teacher (high five bro), but are we seriously saying a Big Mac is healthier than bibimbop because of some numbers on a page?

What about common sense?


I don't think he was saying a Big Mac is healthier exactly, but that a Big Mac is really unhealthy and looking at the nutritional facts bibimbab doesn't look to be a whole lot better, especially considering sodium, cholesterol, sugar, etc.


Fair enough, I see the numbers. But personally I look at things in terms of results. Too easy to get lost in micro analysis and not see the big picture...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Peace Train



Joined: 01 Nov 2012

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KimchiNinja wrote:
Peace Train wrote:
More calories, A LOT more sodium, more carbs, more sugars and 3x the cholesterol.


You're cool in my book because you are not an English teacher (high five bro), but are we seriously saying a Big Mac is healthier than bibimbop because of some numbers on a page?

What about common sense?


(leaves him hanging)

Numbers on a page? That's like saying adding another witty bitty oxygen molecule to H2O is no big deal. It's just a number. Ya, enjoy sipping on that nice cool glass of Hydrogen Peroxide, son.

Those "numbers" are what food stuffs are all about. Common sense, common schmense.

Personally I avoid both dishes like the plague (since my body is a wonderland) but when I decide to have a cheat day once a blue moon, you better believe i'm reaching for a Big Mac instead of a bowl of twigs, fermented compost and red pepper cement mix/period blood.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
KimchiNinja



Joined: 01 May 2012
Location: Gangnam

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Captain Corea



Joined: 28 Feb 2005
Location: Seoul

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrk888 wrote:
First of all, I do it small portions throughout the day. I eat healthy. I was healthy in the U.S. Very lean, very athletic, very low body fat. It was not until Korea that I gained so much weight so quick and the only time I don't eat what I want is school lunch. I still keep the same exercise routine (said this 3 times now). I've heard enough stories about people whose co-workers hate them because they refuse to eat school lunch that I'm not willing to let my year in Korea be tarnished over it; I'd rather be respectful. Not to mention, when I refuse to take certain things (corn dogs; certain sauces; fried things on a stick) I get questioned by six different co-workers why I didn't take it as if I did something wrong.

Truthfully, it could be my specific school. Other teachers complain about it as well. And you say cut down on the rice but unfortunately there are days that I really, really do not want to take much of anything else and quite frankly I need to feed my body. We have days where it's some kind of excuse for pizza, deep fried cinnamon potato chips, and french fries. We get meals with hot dogs in them sometimes. Fried food quite a bit. I never ate fried food before I came to Korea, here I eat it at least 3 times a week.

You can say it doesn't make sense to you but it's deductive reasoning. I ate healthy in the U.S. Started eating Korean lunches to remain respectful and gained 25 pounds from lunch alone. Nothing else has changed in my routine. I drink as little as I did before, I exercise as much as I did, and when I cook for myself I eat what I want. It's pork, chicken that isn't chicken breasts (I only ate breasts in the U.S.), fried food, and rice. I will admit it could just be my school though. I'm just sharing my story for those who can relate.

Also I agree it's healthier than US school lunches. The difference is when I was a teacher in the US it wasn't disrespectful to the entire country and culture to bring my own lunch.

One more thing: I like Korea. I'm not complaining about Korea. This is the worst part of Korea for me: the food and the weight gain.


You said you know a lot about nutrition, break it down, bro.

Have you ever actually broken down your caloric intake?

You're looking at that lunch and saying it's the ONLY thing that has changed since moving from the US.

Since moving from the US.

Wait a minute... you moved to the other side of the world - maybe something has changed.

What's your daily calorie count at, and what's that lunch worth?

25 lbs is a lot of weight. In how many months?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jrk888



Joined: 22 Jun 2011

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In seven months.

Truth be told I never counted calories because I didn't think it was important. I worked out six days a week including weight lifting--any excess calories went to building muscle and I had extremely low body fat. To me, calories don't matter if they're coming from the right source. Since I got here, I still don't count calories, but this is where our points can come together because my excess calories are coming from poor sources. They are coming from fried food and rice and all that. Personally I want to continue eating my two more meals a day that are made of healthy food so I can at least get some healthy food in me. Do you understand? Like I get where you're coming from but my point is if I have to eat crap for lunch I want my two small dinners to be legitimate sources rather than only one small dinner so I can at least get SOMETHING healthy in me in the end. If I had the choice I'd cut the fried food and rice from lunch but I have to feed my body.

Also to be fair, I'd say out of the 25 pounds, it's at least 15 pounds of muscle. So it's not all bad, it's just that I've gained a bit of a belly with it and am no longer lean. I'm not fat, just more uh, round in the face and stomach. In fact in the U.S. I'd probably still be considered average but being in Korea quite a few Koreans, including students and co-workers, say "Oh. Fat."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
highstreet



Joined: 13 Nov 2010

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say you're probably over eating, since you don't count calories.

15lbs of muscle though in 7 months is a uh, pretty unlikely.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jrk888



Joined: 22 Jun 2011

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well considering the body composition machine at my gym told me I gained 15 pounds of muscle I would consider it likely.

But yes I agree, it is overeating. It's excess calories from the fried food and rice. I already don't take everything at lunch and like I said I get questioned by at least six different people when I refuse to take something. Sometimes I refuse to take two or three things and it befuddles them and offends some.

Look this isn't supposed to be about my dietary habits and me explaining it, what it's supposed to be is telling people to be prepared for what they're being served in Korea. I gave my story and example to let people know that someone who ate extremely healthy before gained 25 pounds because suddenly fried food and carbs was thrown into his diet. From EPIK Orientation I know one person who has lost weight and that is because they didn't exercise before and they exercise now. Everybody else I know has gained at least 5 pounds and most people I know gained 10-20 in seven months. Many of them don't drink all that much either. This isn't about my story, my point is that Korean food is not all that healthy and I gained weight because it was added to my diet.


Last edited by jrk888 on Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
highstreet



Joined: 13 Nov 2010

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, you shouldn't trust those.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jrk888



Joined: 22 Jun 2011

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post deleted.

Last edited by jrk888 on Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
highstreet



Joined: 13 Nov 2010

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curious, how long have you been weight training?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Peace Train



Joined: 01 Nov 2012

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrk888, height, weight and age. Post 'em.

Include a recent pic if you got it. Nood is fine (i talked to the mods)

Let's get down to brass tax here.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


This page is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Contact Dave's ESL Cafe
Copyright © 2013 Dave Sperling. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International