Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Question About Second-Year Severance

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigJ

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:21 am    Post subject: Question About Second-Year Severance Reply with quote

Hi,

My question relates to the fact that my fiancee and I will be ending the second year of our employment 5 months earlier than expected, due to this particular branch closing down. We received our severance at the end of our first year as I was told this was the smart thing to do. However, I called the MOEL and told them of our situation and they said we should expect pro-rated severance for the last 7 months of the second-year contract. Are we really entitled to this, because our boss didn't seem to think so, but we received the number for head office anyways so we can call and talk to them about it. But first I wanted to check that we are in the right here.

So we actually signed a new contract (not extended) and as a result we received a raise. We got paid out everything properly after the first year. Our employer is legitimate, and in fact the parent company is still around, just the branch that has suffered over the past year. We've received everything by law so far (NHIC, Pension, they filed our tax returns properly, etc.) So are we actually due pro-rated severance for these last 7 months we've worked, even though it's technically a new contract?

Thank you for your help!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: