Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best places with a beach
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wjf1

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 7:40 am    Post subject: Best places with a beach Reply with quote

I was going to apply for work in Seoul, but now I've decided I'd prefer somewhere with a beach. From what I have read it seems that Busan is the best place for that, however, it also looks very competitive.

Can you recommend any other coastline cities like Busan? Or how about rural areas? What are the best places with a beach?
VanIslander

Location: Geoje, Hadong, Tongyeong,... now in a small coastal island town outside Gyeongsangnamdo!

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The two biggest islands in Korea, Jeju and Geoje, have multiple nice beaches as well as cities, so ain't really rural if one is in Jeju-si or Gohyeon, respectively. I prefer more rural locales and have enjoyed Seogwipo and Okpo respectively, still cities but more like towns, all things considered, quite small by city standards, walkable anywhere within minutes.

The 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th largest islands in Korea all hire ESL and all have bridges to the mainland and express buses to the bigger cities, even Seoul. These are: Geoje, Namhae, Jindo, Wando. They also have nice beaches, with the latter three sure feeling rural even smack in the middle of their biggest communities.

Plenty of nice beaches on the east coast as well, near the coastal cities in Gangwondo (see the Donghae, Gangneung, Sokcho thread here at Dave's). Though if you want palm trees and mild winters, choose the southern coast or southern islands.
Murakano

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Geoje Island as already mentioned by Van Islander. It`s been a few years since I lived in Okpo but there`s a healthy (non ESL) ex pat population (engineers) also and access to some nice beaches. Only a 45 min ferry ride to Busan too if you want some city life.

Kujora beach gets very busy in the summer...prefer Hakdong pebble beach more sometimes.
VanIslander

Location: Geoje, Hadong, Tongyeong,... now in a small coastal island town outside Gyeongsangnamdo!

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Murakano wrote:
Kujora beach gets very busy in the summer...prefer Hakdong pebble beach more sometimes.

Gujora is where foreigners can always be met on a weekend, Hakdong is such an over touristy, crowded mass of Koreans making much out of not much. Sure, it's a good place to have a seafood lunch, but as a beach it ain't all it's cracked up to be.

Wayheon beach has been waaaaay developed in recent years with even a four star hotel nearby and plenty of accommodations and restaurants built in what used to be the island locals' fav unhyped beach. The secret is out and it's now lost its rural charm, though if you want modern development, it has citylike amenities right by the sand.
darkjedidave

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Taechon Beach (west coast). I have a cabin on the beach and spend at least a month each year there. One of the best beaches in Korea.
AsiaESLbound

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the West coast, we have many small fishing villages and tiny tourist centers catering to Koreans. Places like Mallipo beach and Aji-ri in Chungnamdo. It's where there was a bad oil spill 2 years ago, but the dark brown putrid water still produces small crabs, fish sized octopus, and fish up to 5 pounds with the occasional 20 pound lunker seen in the market place. Nice brown sand crescent beaches are to be found which look good in the Spring before the masses stink it up this Summer. I didn't see any white sand with surfing nor much entertainment and living facilities in coastal areas so you might as well live in the city and then make day trips to the sea.
Murakano

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VanIslander wrote:
Murakano wrote:

Gujora is where foreigners can always be met on a weekend, Hakdong is such an over touristy, crowded mass of Koreans making much out of not much. Sure, it's a good place to have a seafood lunch, but as a beach it ain't all it's cracked up to be.

Wayheon beach has been waaaaay developed in recent years with even a four star hotel nearby and plenty of accommodations and restaurants built in what used to be the island locals' fav unhyped beach. The secret is out and it's now lost its rural charm, though if you want modern development, it has citylike amenities right by the sand.

wow guess things have changed since I was there haha....wasn`t like that a good few years ago. I was there about 9 years ago also.

Wayheon was a pretty dirty beach from what I remember but I guess things change as you have said with the development and all ....gonna try to go back someday and see ....Very Happy
Welsh Canadian

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also go a week before summer offically starts.

The weather is still nice and there are fewer people. Although somethings may not be open yet.
Forever

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AsiaESLbound wrote:
It's where there was a bad oil spill 2 years ago.

I don't want to change the topic, but whatever happened to the Indian Captain of that boat?

Is he still in prison, or was he released?
reactionary

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking for a good swimming beach this summer for day or weekend trips from Seoul. I've only been to Sokcho and I didn't like the crowds of kids floating in tubes and dropping their ice cream wrappers in the water or the pink-speedoed life guards telling me where I couldn't swim. Any help there?
Moldy Rutabaga

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to think of myself as a beach bum, but no Korean beach I've seen is ever going to match Bali. The water is just never going to get all that warm and if it is there will be the jam of kids in tubes, the lifeguards, and the oh-so-daring swimsuits. Do your best but keep your expectations realistic.

My favorite beaches in Korea are Daechon, out on the west coast (get a teaching job in Daejon and take the train there) and Dadaepo in Busan (subway and bus). Dadaepo is a long, wide expanse of sand and because it's in a fairly inaccessible part of southwest Busan it never gets too crowded or commercial. Haeundae is pretty good too but gets full.

If you are applying for work in Korea and want beaches, I would suggest Busan as a top pick, and perhaps Jeju-do and Daejon as second and third choices. There are decent beaches around Ulsan but it is not a nice city to live in.
Jane

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forever wrote:
AsiaESLbound wrote:
It's where there was a bad oil spill 2 years ago.

I don't want to change the topic, but whatever happened to the Indian Captain of that boat?

Is he still in prison, or was he released?

They've been released and have returned back to India. See here for more info:
http://freehebeispirit.wordpress.com/
BringTheRain

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beaches in SoCal are good.

Having a spotlight flashed on me when I tried to enter the water at night in Gangneung... and the barbed wire around, with machine gun pits every so often just didn't do it for me.
jazblanc77

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you gone to Incheon. It's the only place with fine white sand in Korea.
pangaea

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jazblanc77 wrote:

Quote:
Have you gone to Incheon. It's the only place with fine white sand in Korea.

Hamdeok beach on Jeju has fine white sand.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: