Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'Teachers Facing Weakest Market in Years' (USA)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PRagic

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 5:36 pm    Post subject: 'Teachers Facing Weakest Market in Years' (USA) Reply with quote

From the N.Y. Times. 'Teachers Facing Weakest Market in Years'

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/20/nyregion/20teachers.html?src=me&ref=nyregion&nl=nyregion&emc=ura7

Wonder how this will influence the market for qualified teachers in Korea.
airfilter

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They'll be on here in less than a year after being broken by a long job search.
asylum seeker

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judging from this article there's likely to be a lot of extra qualified teachers from the US looking for work here soon; not a good time to be looking for a job.
Mr. Pink

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Teachers Facing Weakest Market in Years' (USA) Reply with quote

PRagic wrote:
From the N.Y. Times. 'Teachers Facing Weakest Market in Years'

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/20/nyregion/20teachers.html?src=me&ref=nyregion&nl=nyregion&emc=ura7

Wonder how this will influence the market for qualified teachers in Korea.

This concept keeps coming up here on Dave's.

Basically you can guess it will increase the amount coming to Korea, but it won't be like a tidal wave of teacher's filling all available flights. You have to remember, that many people have a hard time living away from their families and their comfort areas. Those types of people will work out the recession in other ways.

Also, there are those who don't particularly care for coming to Asia. They will find themselves heading to Latin and South America or perhaps Europe or Africa.

Sure more people will come to Korea, but I can't see certified teachers (especially experienced ones) coming to Korea to teach ESL. It means international school jobs will be more competitive yes, but again I am a firm believer in the fact living abroad isn't for everyone...
withgusto

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"This concept keeps coming up here on Dave's.

Basically you can guess it will increase the amount coming to Korea, but it won't be like a tidal wave of teacher's filling all available flights. You have to remember, that many people have a hard time living away from their families and their comfort areas. Those types of people will work out the recession in other ways.

Most people have a hard time living away from their comfort zones. This is one reason many won't come and another why so many reneg on contracts before they're up. Good point.

Also, there are those who don't particularly care for coming to Asia. They will find themselves heading to Latin and South America or perhaps Europe or Africa.

Slim pickings in Latin America, but for some it's worth it - closer to home, easy living, better weather. Working in Mexico was wonderful, but I didn't save a dime.

Sure more people will come to Korea, but I can't see certified teachers (especially experienced ones) coming to Korea to teach ESL. It means international school jobs will be more competitive yes, but again I am a firm believer in the fact living abroad isn't for everyone..."

Agree. It takes a special breed; adventurer or not. Were I certified, I certainly would choose to work in 100 other places besides SK.
mimi_intheworld

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm. I'm a certified teacher, with ESL experience and 2 degrees, booking my flight as soon as I can come up with the cash. I've been back in the US for about 8 months now, after a year in the UK, and I can't take it much longer! I'm looking forward to moving to Korea. Hoping my qualifications will swing me a good job over there...but honestly not sure what I should try for.
Scott in Incheon

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are a certified teacher, you should be looking at the NET program in Hong Kong. It is one of the better ESL jobs out there...good salary....good benefits...
mimi_intheworld

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott in Incheon wrote:
If you are a certified teacher, you should be looking at the NET program in Hong Kong. It is one of the better ESL jobs out there...good salary....good benefits...

Really? Well, I'll have a look. Thanks.
Rteacher

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bad job market for teachers in the U.S. combined with heightened political tension due to menacing threats (and real attacks) by North Korea will likely attract many frustrated job-seekers with suicidal tendencies.
Smee

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might have some experienced teachers back home looking toward Korea, but they'll probably give up once they realize that schools, and by extension recruiters, aren't hiring older, experienced, certified teachers because they're unwilling/unable to pay them:

http://briandeutsch.blogspot.com/2010/04/no-room-for-older-experienced-teachers.html

Look around all the recruiter sites, too. They all advertise right at the top "no experience necesary" and "all majors welcome." Clearly schools just want young, white, cheap teachers. You may have people fresh out of college with their education degrees looking at Korea and Asia as a place to ride out the recession, but there's absolutely no reason for experienced teachers to come here. Salaries have been stagnant for a decade, and, as we just saw, schools don't want to pay for teachers near the top of the payscale.
Sody

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott in Incheon wrote:

+1

Just keep in mind that it has always been competitive. We're not talking Korean standards here. I would say, make sure you are a certified teacher WITH experience. Oh and be prepared to actually teach. Some of the teachers in Korea might not like the idea of actually teaching since they are used to Korea.
hagwonnewbie

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My brother was a certified teacher of highschool English. He quit after teaching five years. He moved to different cities, changed schools 3 times and still couldn't find the position he wanted. He says he's done teaching, but I encouraged him to try again.
fusionbarnone

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smee wrote:
You might have some experienced teachers back home looking toward Korea, but they'll probably give up once they realize that schools, and by extension recruiters, aren't hiring older, experienced, certified teachers because they're unwilling/unable to pay them:

http://briandeutsch.blogspot.com/2010/04/no-room-for-older-experienced-teachers.html

Look around all the recruiter sites, too. They all advertise right at the top "no experience necesary" and "all majors welcome." Clearly schools just want young, white, cheap teachers. You may have people fresh out of college with their education degrees looking at Korea and Asia as a place to ride out the recession, but there's absolutely no reason for experienced teachers to come here. Salaries have been stagnant for a decade, and, as we just saw, schools don't want to pay for teachers near the top of the payscale.

Teachers have been laid off from my high school in the US. One teacher who I've worked with over the last year hadn't eaten or slept for 3 days due to stress in searching for work since receiving a pink slip last week.

Teachers/people are hurting out there. Possibly 300,000 could be fired next year. Some schools advertising 7 positions are getting over 3,500 resumes from every state.

Many don't know about Korea though.
Ramen

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="fusionbarnone"]
Smee wrote:

Many don't know about Korea though.

Well, aren't you gonna tell them about it? Razz
carleverson

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

airfilter wrote:
They'll be on here in less than a year after being broken by a long job search.

There already here and more are coming by the minute.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: