Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

contract end visa questions extension

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
freeridden

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:42 pm    Post subject: contract end visa questions extension Reply with quote

I would like to look into taking time to do the CELTA here in Seoul in September if they offer it.

My SMOE contract will end on August 25th, so of course my visa will end at that time. I would like to get an extension to stay here and do the course (if offered at that time). How long can we extend our visas? I would like to extend my visa to stay here and do the course. During that time, I will be looking for jobs. So...extend my visa and do the course, look for a new job, and then get a new job....all without having to leave Korea.

Possible? Or would I have to get the extension, find a new job, and then leave the country and do a visa run?

I know it sounds complicated. Hope it explained it properly.

Many thanks!
onlyinkorea87

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:00 am    Post subject: Re: contract end visa questions extension Reply with quote

freeridden wrote:
I would like to look into taking time to do the CELTA here in Seoul in September if they offer it.

My SMOE contract will end on August 25th, so of course my visa will end at that time. I would like to get an extension to stay here and do the course (if offered at that time). How long can we extend our visas? I would like to extend my visa to stay here and do the course. During that time, I will be looking for jobs. So...extend my visa and do the course, look for a new job, and then get a new job....all without having to leave Korea.

Possible? Or would I have to get the extension, find a new job, and then leave the country and do a visa run?

I know it sounds complicated. Hope it explained it properly.

Many thanks!

My EPIK coordinator told me extension is good for 4 weeks. Your plan seems solid.

Good luck! Smile
spicy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it can be up to a month, but it's just your typical tourist visa. you'll need to have a plane ticket booked before you can apply for it, though (at least I did). check out this website if you don't want to go to the immigration office.

be forewarned, though, it can be a bit of a hassle doing it on the computer -- the hikorea website doesn't work on firefox and you have to install a few random korean programs to get it to authorize...

http://safkorea.wordpress.com/2009/02/11/extending-you-stay-after-your-e-2-visa-expires/
moosehead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can extend 2 weeks w/no plane tkt, 4 with.

best is to just hop on a ferry over to Fukuoka and return on a tourist visa - 90 days min, depending on where you're from (90 for Americans, more for some other countries) and you're good to go.

fyi, you don't have to stay the night, you can come back the same day. Fukuoka is nice, tho, so you might want to - try the Kangsan Travel (in Busan) package deal, they'll get you a night in a hotel and ferry tkt for a little more than the price of the boat tkt if you purchased it on your own. the hotel is very nice also, maybe a 3-4 star.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: