Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Interviews are changing? Your experience?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
UKKOR

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:59 pm    Post subject: Interviews are changing? Your experience? Reply with quote

So I have been a lurker her for a while and the general jist I get from posts about interviews, is that they are easy chats.
Apparently they ask you unnecessary questions like how much you drink etc, but that was not the case for me!
I have had 7 interviews in the past 5 days and they were all minimum 1 hour each (some even 2). I was given poems to analyse, vocabulary tests, situation questions, timed essays and had to prepare mock lessons for nearly all of them. And after it was all over, some hagwons even told me that there is a second test! Mind you, I was not given warning sometimes that the interview would be long or require tests.
I am just curious, is this the norm now for hagwons? And what difficult things have you had to do at interviews?
beentheredonethat777

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Interviews are changing? Your experience? Reply with quote

UKKOR wrote:
So I have been a lurker her for a while and the general jist I get from posts about interviews, is that they are easy chats.
Apparently they ask you unnecessary questions like how much you drink etc, but that was not the case for me!
I have had 7 interviews in the past 5 days and they were all minimum 1 hour each (some even 2). I was given poems to analyse, vocabulary tests, situation questions, timed essays and had to prepare mock lessons for nearly all of them. And after it was all over, some hagwons even told me that there is a second test! Mind you, I was not given warning sometimes that the interview would be long or require tests.
I am just curious, is this the norm now for hagwons? And what difficult things have you had to do at interviews?
Quote:

WOWW!!! This is totally amazing. ALL of my job interviews, including public schools, took a maximum of five minutes!(average 3)Are you applying for a specialized field?
UKKOR

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just teaching English
beentheredonethat777

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UKKOR wrote:
Just teaching English

For example, SAT prep, Grammar Debate Coach, English Literature,Business English or just regular English lessons to elementary or middle school students?

If it is just a basic hogwan, than maybe those particular places have had negative experiences with teachers who were less than honest about their abilities. If so, this will explain why you are being over interrogated.

I've assisted in job interviews/ hiring decisions before. On a few occasions, what we actually got and what was presented via phone interview, were not one and the same. Thus, more stringent questions,scenarios,tests, etc, the next time around.
Mr. Pink

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: Interviews are changing? Your experience? Reply with quote

UKKOR wrote:

That sounds a bit nuts. I would maybe tell them you are prepared to do such things if you are a finalist and that the school should inform you of how long each interview is to take. They should realize as a job seeker, you are probably wanting to do more than 1 interview a day...

It also sounds like you are applying for English Lit jobs. ESL kids aren't going to know what to make of most poems unless they are very advanced...

Good luck.
bmaw01

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Interviews are changing? Your experience? Reply with quote

UKKOR wrote:

When I got my job back in 2011 I had a 5 minute conversation by the owner and I was hired. Then again, the school was new. Also, she was having major issues with a foreign teacher who cursed her out in her office. She wanted me there ASAP. It worked out for me. Now, I could see why hagwons are getting strict. Remember, they take the risk by flying you to Korea. When I worked at my hagwon we had a few teachers who were bad teachers. It brought everyone down. The director had to fly them back home, and she had to take the loss.
caribmon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For my last interview, the Korean teacher was asking me questions but I couldn't understand her English so nothing I said to the questions made any sense. But she thought I was "so handsome" and they hired me.
Whitegirlinasia

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got hired without an interview because of a midnight run and my boss has a fetish for small white women with blue green eyes. All the foreign staff looks eerily similar.

Sounds like overkill to me.
TheMeerkatLover

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my current recruitment phase I had to undergo these processes.

1) Fill out application forms with pertinent details, supply photo copies of identification, credentials and driving history. Fill out a number of clearance forms. Criminal and credit background checks were conducted.

2) Undergo a 3 hour interview describing my experiences that involved a very specific set of circumstances.

3) Fill out a pre-polygraph questionnaire, have a 2 hour pre-polygraph interview

4) Undergo a polygraph examination that took 4 hours.

5) Successfully complete the PARE in under 4 minutes.

6) Get a dental, medical, x-rays, blood screening exams done and submitted.

7) Undergo a psych evaluation (MMPI 2) and speak with a psychologist.

Cool Final medical examination with their physician.

9) Undergo a background investigation where they went to speak with my security clearance references. Some of the interviews took several hours.

10) Will get an offer of employment after roughly 1-1.5 years of recruitment processing.

What you do in Korea is NOTHING compared to what I've done to secure a federal gov't employee position back home.
UKKOR

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheMeerkatLover wrote:
In my current recruitment phase I had to undergo these processes.

1) Fill out application forms with pertinent details, supply photo copies of identification, credentials and driving history. Fill out a number of clearance forms. Criminal and credit background checks were conducted.

2) Undergo a 3 hour interview describing my experiences that involved a very specific set of circumstances.

3) Fill out a pre-polygraph questionnaire, have a 2 hour pre-polygraph interview

4) Undergo a polygraph examination that took 4 hours.

5) Successfully complete the PARE in under 4 minutes.

6) Get a dental, medical, x-rays, blood screening exams done and submitted.

7) Undergo a psych evaluation (MMPI 2) and speak with a psychologist.

Cool Final medical examination with their physician.

9) Undergo a background investigation where they went to speak with my security clearance references. Some of the interviews took several hours.

10) Will get an offer of employment after roughly 1-1.5 years of recruitment processing.

What you do in Korea is NOTHING compared to what I've done to secure a federal gov't employee position back home.

That sounds completely normal for a federal government position. What I said in my post was that the nature of English teacher interviews are changing and I wanted to know if others had similiar experiences. What was your teaching position interview like?
Chaparrastique

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Interviews are changing? Your experience? Reply with quote

UKKOR wrote:
they were all minimum 1 hour each (some even 2). I was given poems to analyse, vocabulary tests, situation questions, timed essays and had to prepare mock lessons for nearly all of them.

Absurd.

If some kiddy hogwon is going to put you through all that then they better be paying a whole lot more than 2.2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: