Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GOE Applicants

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Soggysocks

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:02 pm    Post subject: GOE Applicants Reply with quote

Hey!

I'll be working with the Gyeongsangnamdo Office of Education in March. I haven't seen a collective area where other GOE applicants can get together and go through this endless process together, get support, and vent and rant about our anxieties. It'd be nice to talk to some other people who are not with EPIK or a hagwon, and possibly make some friends before we all arrive.

So for those of you who will be heading to Korea with GOE, how's everything going? Where are you from? Where in the process are you? Have you applied for your E-2 yet? What city will you be in?

I sent my documents to my recruiter last week. Still waiting on my NOA. Even though I've been offered a job, I'm still hesitant to really let myself get in the headspace of "I'm moving to Korea." Not wholeheartedly, anyway. Anyone else feel this way? Let me know how you all are feeling.

I hope to talk to you all soon!
poetryfoot

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!
Sorry to say, I had an interview for GOE that went well but I wasn't offered a job in the first round. I accepted a job at a private school in Daejeon and then got an email that I was offered a job with the GOE when they opened up more positions in the second round. I probably would have accepted the GOE position, but I had already accepted the position in Daejeon. I would have loved to talk about the whole process if I had accepted the position with GOE, but alas, I had already accepted the position in Daejeon. What city are you going to? Anyways, I wish you the best of luck with everything...I know I am nervous about going to Korea...and extremely excited. Like you, I don't think it has truly sunk in that I am actually going pretty soon.
Soggysocks

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey!

I'm happy that at the end of the day you were able to lock down a position. I will be working at an elementary school in Jinju, which looks like a decent city. Are you starting in March? Have you received your visa? Mine will be ready for pick up on Tuesday. I was telling a friend about my upcoming move, and she was surprised at how calm I seemed. I think I'm in denial, or something. It's a strange feeling.

Good luck to you, too. Here's to a somewhat smooth transition here on out!
poetryfoot

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello!
Thanks! Hey, that's amazing. Jinju looks like a really great city, lots of festivals and culture. I was offered a job in Jinju at a private school, but would have had to share an apartment with a couple...that might be ok (if they are nice) but it also might be awkward. I don't know...anyways, well, I start school March 2nd, but the school in Daejeon wanted me there quite early. It is a new branch, and I will have a week of training in Seoul, a week off for the holiday, and then a week training with the teacher I'm replacing. It's not paid, but it's ok....I'm trying to work as much as I can, and I think (especially since I don't have much teaching experience) that the training will be absolutely invaluable for me. Since the whole process has moved so quickly, I don't have my visa yet. They just got the code and I sent it off to the consulate today! (crossing my fingers) Otherwise they said they have a plan B. That's great you are so calm! I get nervous, then a bit sad, then extremely excited! It depends on what I am doing and whom I am talking to. Do you know if you get a week of training? I know they didn't have a lot of jobs in the beginning, but the GOE seemed to have opened up a lot more jobs in the second and (third? or April start dates) rounds. Is GOE a it more rural? I like the city, but I also like the country.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: