Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Living in Korea with an F4 & no degree
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TpaK

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:49 pm    Post subject: Living in Korea with an F4 & no degree Reply with quote

Im 21 yrs old from the states planning on getting an F4 visa and a TEFL certificate so I can go to Korea and make a living. The problem is I dont have a degree. My plan is to work at the hagwons and do a fair amount of tutoring on the side. I lived in Korea for a year from 2008-2009 so I pretty much dont have a problem with all the culture shock and whatnot.

Id like some input to see what you guys think and see if I got a chance at starting a living there. Thanks.

Last edited by TpaK on Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
ThingsComeAround

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the TEFL is a waste of your time.

I'm serious. If you don't have a degree, spare yourself the extra $200 and use it to make flyers and buy a bike to meet your clients.

If you want a stable, serious job (with free room & board) then you get your degree. It is possible to do it without, but harder and you don't make as much. Idea
brento1138

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These days having a degree is equivalent to having a high school education. In other words, it's the lowest level, basic requirement to get a semi-decent job.

So, put in the four years and get one done! -- Just my advice
TpaK

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx for the replies. But id really appreciate it if you could tell me what to expect to start living there without the degree. thanks
noraebang

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a kyopo friend teaching with me at a hakwon who didn't have a degree. I hadn't finished my degree either. Poor girl got $20 per hour when I got paid $35 per hour, for the same kind of work. She did have more breaks than me though. A lot of hakwons won't be as liberal about hiring people without degrees as that one was though. They definitely needed us, none of their Korean teachers even spoke English, so we were much more qualified despite not finishing our degrees yet.

You'll find that a lot of places will turn you down. I hope you speak Korean well so you can network and talk to lots of employers. Even kyopos WITH a degree say they face hiring descrimination sometimes (no white face)--which probably explains the pay differential between my coworker and I.

Oh and she was doing a degree online through an American university in her spare time. You should definitely go that route.
Yaya

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So many gyopos teach or work in Korea without a degree, and I fault the employers rather than the gyopos.

Still, I'd get the degree.
manofwar

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:11 am    Post subject: f4 Reply with quote

Having a degree is better for you to work in Korea...more opp to get a better job. However, I know few people with F2 and F4 teaching at decent hogwon without a degree. should get the standard 2-2.5 million for a month working 25-30 hours per week and housing. goodluck
Slowmotion

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brento1138 wrote:
These days having a degree is equivalent to having a high school education. In other words, it's the lowest level, basic requirement to get a semi-decent job.

So, put in the four years and get one done! -- Just my advice

This is my buddy posting in this thread and I've been trying to convince him to do his 4 years of college. Can't convince him.

Do you guys think in the future, since the bachelors degree is becoming a hs like education and the abundance of foreigners coming to Korea with at least a bachelors that in the future hagwons will stop hiring people no degrees?
marlow

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you really want to make a go of it in Korea long-term, you're going to need that bachelor's plus an education degree or a linguistics master's.

If you want to make a living anywhere, I'd suggest trade school.
Mariella713

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what qualifications do you have? Sorry, but chances are you won't get a decent job without a degree unless you're lucky or have some extremely good connections.

I agree with the other poster who said TEFL is a waste of time though.
kohmelo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please feel free to risk it without a degree, Make sure you don't tell anyone about it, especially other foreigners, as they/we are very untrustworthy.

Now, You say you are from the States, why don't you have a degree? As it's my understanding that they give out the famous "Bachelor" Degree to any Tom, Dick and Harry, How most of these Americans here have them is beyond me. I've met numerous Americans who thought that the UK was JOINED onto the USA and Canada, they actually didn't know there was a big ocean in between.

Most of you/them don't want to be here, they hate Korean people/culture etc.. yet when you tell them to go home they get offensive, and moan that they wouldn't get a job "back home".... But what about your fantastic "Bachelor" Degree? Ah yes, it's just confetti.. Very Happy
noraebang

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So are you making an argument for getting a degree or not? Because from your post it seems one can graduate with a BA and be functionally retarded, which doesn't bestow great status or reason to get a degree just for an English teaching job which he could do fairly well right now.
TpaK

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im going to have an F4 which will allow me to be able to tutor and work at the hagwons. I know the TEFL certificate isnt much but I figured in the absence of a degree, itd be better than nothing.
TpaK

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, about the degree. Im simply not trying to attend college. I never really was a good student and I already screwed up my first year. I wasted a lot of money and just my luck a little later I get a couple traffic violations which completely drained me financially. I don't have the money to continue my education. Im aware of financial aid but id rather just save up some money and continue my life in Korea.

As I said before, Ive lived in Korea for a year and loved it. I taught at a hagwon for a little while and did some tutoring on the side and enjoyed that a lot was well. Yeah there's a lot of things that are not right about the Korean lifestyle but hey no country is perfect right? Im aware that not having a degree will be a big thorn in my side for years to come. But if other people can make a living without a degree there, then why cant I?
carleverson

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are plenty of people teaching in Korea without a degree. Just because the ignorant people on this board don't know about them doesn't mean they don't exist.

It'll be harder to find work and you'll probably be paid less, but you will be able to find work. If you are a really pretty girl you'll find teaching jobs rather easily here without a degree.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: