Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pressure (scare tactics?) from recruiters to take a position
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darrenn

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Huh?

Sorry, I've been following this thread and I don't carry any strong enough opinions on the topic to contribute to it, but I don't get this one.

Beyond carrying a different viewpoint and being disagreeable to some other's opinions, I don't see him not being cordial.

Don't confuse being disagreeable as being negative and hostile.

Check out some other threads and compare it to this one, if you're sensitive to disagreeing discussions. Like the 'teaching privates' or 'working without a degree' threads. Or the regular 'Who is better, K-girls or Western girls' topics.

You may be right, lack of cordiality may not be the right term. It's just that arguing for universal acceptance of an opinion that is just that, an opinion, seems a waste of time, particularly when the discussion has deviated so far from the original question. And of course you are correct in saying that disagreeablility is not necessarily hostile; it's more a matter of productivity. For us thinking of coming over and unaware of all the pitfalls, we would just rather hear some good advice from those of you in the know.

Cheers
TheUrbanMyth

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

some waygug-in wrote:

It also means surrendering a lot of your rights as a citizen of Canada, something that you don't have to worry about back home.

You surrender no rights as a citizen of Canada. Back home you still have all those rights. Or do you think that when you move to a FOREIGN country, that you should have all the rights that you had in Canada, including the right to vote, change jobs on a whim and so forth? Most countries have certain restrictions on non-citizens. And some countries have far harsher restrictions than South Korea. Being a Canadian citizen does not automatically entitle you to all the rights of the locals in any other country. Most of your "rights" ARE ONLY "RIGHTS" IN CANADA.
some waygug-in

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheUrbanMyth wrote:
some waygug-in wrote:

It also means surrendering a lot of your rights as a citizen of Canada, something that you don't have to worry about back home.

You surrender no rights as a citizen of Canada. Back home you still have all those rights. Or do you think that when you move to a FOREIGN country, that you should have all the rights that you had in Canada, including the right to vote, change jobs on a whim and so forth? Most countries have certain restrictions on non-citizens. And some countries have far harsher restrictions than South Korea. Being a Canadian citizen does not automatically entitle you to all the rights of the locals in any other country. Most of your "rights" ARE ONLY "RIGHTS" IN CANADA.

Yes they are your rights "in Canada", and by coming to Korea you have to suspend those rights while you are out of the country. If you work in Canada you don't. Is that more clear?
canukteacher

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talking to other teachers is great, but remember most of them will not tell you the truth, or at least not totally. They want to leave without problems, and one of the ways is to have a new teacher on board. Departing teachers never out and out lie. One line I love, the accomodation is adequate..........huhhuh.........read between the lines. It's one room, and iffy hot water. All I'm saying is take teacher testimonials with a grain of salt. However, any school or recruiter who refuses to give you names is not worth your time.

CT
hadeshorn

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Gord"]
hadeshorn wrote:
Jesus tap dancing christ Gord.

Then do it with consent by asking the person if they can contact them later.

This was basically what I was suggesting. Thank you for putting it into words.
TheUrbanMyth

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

some waygug-in wrote:
TheUrbanMyth wrote:
some waygug-in wrote:

Yes they are your rights "in Canada", and by coming to Korea you have to suspend those rights while you are out of the country. If you work in Canada you don't. Is that more clear?

That's more clear, but still I don't see your point. Are you suggesting that we should have all the rights of the locals? Should a immigrant to Canada get all the rights that we have, or should he become a citizen first?
some waygug-in

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheUrbanMyth wrote:
some waygug-in wrote:
TheUrbanMyth wrote:
some waygug-in wrote:

That's more clear, but still I don't see your point. Are you suggesting that we should have all the rights of the locals? Should a immigrant to Canada get all the rights that we have, or should he become a citizen first?

No, absolutely not. If you go back in the thread you should be able to find the reason why I posted this. I was trying to illustrate the differences between finding a job back home, and finding a job here.

I hope this is more clear.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: