Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The "Bring or Buy?" Game
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VanIslander

Location: Geoje, Hadong, Tongyeong,... now in a small coastal island town outside Gyeongsangnamdo!

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, Iconsfanatic, did you win the game?

What should you have brought?

I shouldn't have brought so many sweaters. I live on a Korean island off the southern coast where snow comes one day a year and never stays. I have a dozen sweaters for a 6-week sweater season. What a waste of space.

I should have brought a good portable cassette-tape player with my collection of tapes because there's no top-end sports anti-roll players, no Japanese products (no Walkmans) around here, only cheaper, poorer-quality but not cheaper Samsung or other Korean players.

I lost the game. Sad
Lou3511

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what about bed sheets???? i've been told both ways, and am not sure whether to bring them or not . . .

also, is a vcr worth the space of bringing, or can it be found pretty cheap?

thanks.....
osangrl

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't bring a vcr...haha.

And as for sheets...the ones you bring won't fit anyways...you can buy good blankets and bed pads here very cheap...so skip that too.
OiGirl

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lou3511 wrote:
what about bed sheets???? i've been told both ways, and am not sure whether to bring them or not . . . .

I have never seen Western-style sheets, as in a bottom sheet and a top sheet made of a thin material, single layer of cotton or polyester. They may be available at big-box stores or department stores. I'm sure you can get them mail-order form back home.

I prefer Korean-style bedding anyway. This consists of a mattress cover (often fitted and also serving as a dust ruffle,) another mattress pad, and a quilt. I use Korean-style bedding even back home. You may not love it as much as I do!
oneiros

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OiGirl wrote:

I have never seen Western-style sheets, as in a bottom sheet and a top sheet made of a thin material, single layer of cotton or polyester. They may be available at big-box stores or department stores. I'm sure you can get them mail-order form back home.

I've noticed that Western-style sheets are starting to become a little more available than in past years. The last time I was in Carrefour, they had a decently priced selection. That was a few months ago, so the fad might have passed.
VanIslander

Location: Geoje, Hadong, Tongyeong,... now in a small coastal island town outside Gyeongsangnamdo!

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like oneiros, I've seen Western-style top and bottom sheet sets around, in a couple of places here on the island and in nearby big city Busan.

What I haven't seen much of is big bath towels. Koreans use tiny ones once then wash them, more hygenic but lacking the whole body wrap exerience.

And I agree with the others about the VCR. You can pick up a decent one brand new for under a hundred bucks, though you may be tempted to go with a combined tape/DVD option.

And, oh yeah, if you have a favourite pillow, filled with feathers or whatever, bring it. I have yet to find a Korean pillow as comfortable as the ones back home.

Good luck. Hope you win. Smile
Lou3511

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the responses guys. . . i'll be comin' over there for the first time in just a couple of days . . . can't wait, of course...
mindmetoo

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah buy an iron here as the plug is different. And a North American iron just doesn't seem to get hot enough when you're running it via a power adapter. Irons and hair dryers are pretty cheap if you hunt around.

Baby oil is really expensive as is hand lotion and Vaseline. If you use any of those regularly, pack it.
OiGirl

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VanIslander wrote:
Like oneiros, I've seen Western-style top and bottom sheet sets around, in a couple of places here on the island and in nearby big city Busan.

What I haven't seen much of is big bath towels. Koreans use tiny ones once then wash them, more hygenic but lacking the whole body wrap exerience.

It's always interesting that there are always certain things each person can and can't find. I have always been able to get nice, big cotton bath towels at the department store. I would recommend the Gwangju Shinsegae for towels. They were a little pricey, but still the nicest towels I own!
aussie col

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Just ask someone where the towel shops are in your city. In Daegu the towel street is right near down town. I knew some people who got their towels there and they were HUGE. They were almost the side of a single bed sheet.
VanIslander

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OiGirl wrote:
I have always been able to get nice, big cotton bath towels at the department store.

The? department store. That's my problem. I live on an island! I guess you big city folk have no problems with that then.

What about comfy pillows?
ajuma

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best place to buy Western-style pillows is in Dong Dae Moon. Go to the basement of the textile building and scout around. Pillow CASES are another matter! Most Korean cases have some kind of writing on them. I'd HATE to wake up with "Flush" on my cheek! (The word embroidered on my current comforter!)
VanIslander

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ajuma, emphasis added, wrote:
Most Korean cases have some kind of writing on them. I'd HATE to wake up with "Flush" on my cheek! (The word embroidered on my current comforter!)

Yeah. Embarassed
Dr.Caligari

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

__

Last edited by Dr.Caligari on Mon Nov 01, 2004 8:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
jay-shi

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Western toothpaste is also a good item to stock up on and bring. As far as I know the Korean toothpaste has no fluoride in it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: