Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

20+ Year Old Petty Theft Will Disqualify You For E2 Visa?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Epik_Teacher

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:38 pm    Post subject: 20+ Year Old Petty Theft Will Disqualify You For E2 Visa? Reply with quote

A church group visited one of the schools I work at, a private Presbyterian school. A couple of the visitors were interested in working in Korea and asked me about it. I told them about the new requirements, like the FBI check.

One guy who was interested in teaching said that he had a petty theft conviction from the late 1980's. Basically, it involved walking out of a restaurant without paying (while drunk). He was evidently, so soused he could barely walk and the cops got him. He was taken to the city hoosegow and pled guilty in court. He was given a small fine and credit for the weekend he spent in jail. Said he'd never been in any trouble since.

I'm not sure if something that small will show up on an FBI check or if something that old would disqualify you for a job in Korea. Any comments?
BoholDiver

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a guess, but if he hasn't applied for a pardon, I think it'd still be on his record.
lalartu

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not sure about the US criminal check, but Canadian criminal checks that Korea requests only check the last 10 years of activity
Louis VI

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Let thieves teach!"
"Have pity on the criminally prosecuted."
"He was convicted but he was innocent!"
"The past is the past."
"Let anybody with a degree and a pulse in!"

Reasons to give a flying fig about this.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:23 am    Post subject: Re: 20+ Year Old Petty Theft Will Disqualify You For E2 Visa Reply with quote

Epik_Teacher wrote:
A church group visited one of the schools I work at, a private Presbyterian school. A couple of the visitors were interested in working in Korea and asked me about it. I told them about the new requirements, like the FBI check.

One guy who was interested in teaching said that he had a petty theft conviction from the late 1980's. Basically, it involved walking out of a restaurant without paying (while drunk). He was evidently, so soused he could barely walk and the cops got him. He was taken to the city hoosegow and pled guilty in court. He was given a small fine and credit for the weekend he spent in jail. Said he'd never been in any trouble since.

I'm not sure if something that small will show up on an FBI check or if something that old would disqualify you for a job in Korea. Any comments?

The only way to know for sure is to order the CBC.

If there is a positive finding then he will be precluded from obtaining an E2 visa.

Illysook

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do esponged records show up in these kinds of checks?
cdninkorea

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Illysook wrote:
Do esponged records show up in these kinds of checks?

If I'm not mistaken, I believe FBI checks even show arrests. Perhaps calling the FBI would work?
Foxkorea

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:32 am    Post subject: Actually, everything shows up Reply with quote

Arrests, convictions, citations, even detentions. That means that even if you were questioned by a police officer, and a police report were filed, it appears on your CBC. Koren immigration will most likely be unable to make the fine distinctions. In the case of your friend, he'd be best off getting this blemish expunged from his record. That's a time-consuming, although not necessarily expensive, process. But a good idea-a not just for the Cracker Jack jobs in Korea.
greene

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

an ncic FBI check does not show all of that stuff, necessarily. it depends on the state (and some counties never even report to the ncic)
Gwangjuboy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louis VI wrote:
"Let thieves teach!"
"Have pity on the criminally prosecuted."
"He was convicted but he was innocent!"
"The past is the past."
"Let anybody with a degree and a pulse in!"

Reasons to give a flying fig about this.

If every employer thought like this the reoffending rates would surely, and with some justification, rise exponentially. People change; accept it.
iwillteachyouenglish

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He doesn't need an FBI check unless he is going to arrive after Jan 1st, 2011. A state check will probably only show open records. How a state defines open records may vary. I think generally if the probation was completed successfully and the event was many years ago and not a felony conviction, then it probably will not show up. This guy sounds really old though, and I wonder if he is really going to be fun for the kids to spend time with?
greene

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a state check only shows open records eh?

when did dave's esl cafe become yahoo answers?

do you have any evidence for that or do you just kind of pull it out of the part of the brain where you make up facts for no reason?

a state record check will check and see if local jurisdictions reported a crime to the state repository. different states have different rules about what they report but i've never seen any info about only 'open' records coming up. a state rap sheet is going to be more accurate than the FBI check because not all records that are sent to the state make it through to the FBI, although some local jurisdictions enter that information directly, themselves (so who knows, in some cases i guess i could be wrong about that

---

and secondly... oh yeah... he must be like 40. gee golly the kids will have to look at his wrinkles! horrible! keep him out!

omg omg omg
WadRUG'naDoo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember the principal in elementary school saying that you can even get record for something as simple as stealing a Christmas lightbulb outside someone's home.

Not paying his bill because he walked out drunk? Geez. Those are some anal police officers and/or restaurant owners. I've done that before and come back and:

"Hey! You didn't pay your bill last week! You were very drunk!!!"
Me: "Really?"
Them: "Yes. Pay your bill!!!"
Me: "Ok."

Frig.
kingasiatic88

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

unless that happened when he was ~6 years old, his age might preclude him from getting a job, no?
dirving

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WadRUG'naDoo wrote:
I remember the principal in elementary school saying that you can even get record for something as simple as stealing a Christmas lightbulb outside someone's home.

Not paying his bill because he walked out drunk? Geez. Those are some anal police officers and/or restaurant owners. I've done that before and come back and:

"Hey! You didn't pay your bill last week! You were very drunk!!!"
Me: "Really?"
Them: "Yes. Pay your bill!!!"
Me: "Ok."

Frig.

She's a weird one, eh New rules whenever. Feck, it's nuts.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: