Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FYI - FBI Background Check - Get it done ASAP.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 43, 44, 45  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NM14456

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sluggo832004 wrote:
So would it take longer to get it notarized and apostilled yourself, or let the Feds do it?

My understanding is the FBI seal is the notarization. You still have to have it apostilled. As others have noted this cannot be done at the US Embassy here.

Actually, I'm still a little confused as to whether the apostille has to be done by the US State Dept. or the Secretary of State in your home state. Anyone know that one for sure?
hollyea

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey everybody, I'm new to the forum...

Please forgive me, but I'm incredibly anxious about this whole cbc. I sent my request in on sept 1st so obviously I wasn't expecting it to be done already, but I thought I'd call and check my status. The woman wasn't very helpful and said it would take up to 12 weeks once it's in the database. She checked for my name and said it wasn't even in the database yet, and that was almost a month ago that I sent it. Maybe I misunderstood....how long does it take to get into their database? I'm having nightmares about waiting for months and months....

Also I forgot to include a return envelope, which will probably make the process longer. What's the longest anyone has had to wait? AHHH so anxious!!
interestedinhanguk

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anybody requested multiple background checks?
How do I do this? Can just a memo be attached asking for a second copy (something my folks could do since I've sent them the forms already)? Of course, I would enclose the additional $18 cashiers check/money order.

I've sent the forms to my folks who will mail it in. Now i am thinking it might be best to have a second copy; who knows who might lose it (potential employer, immigration etc) and that would set me back a while
NM14456

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've talked with my school about the need to get this out ASAP. I'm doing the prints next week here in Seoul and will get them expressed to the States next week. While the official word on delays is up to three months some people are getting the checks back in 7 weeks. It's too early to panic for Spring contracts.

I'm sure Korea's going to lose teachers on this. Even one glitch, one detail gone wrong and you could be cooked on start dates, etc.. If I have to leave Korea for a CRC problem it's a one way ticket out. Too much hassle really.
drcrazy

Location: Pusan. Yes, that's right. Pusan NOT Busan. I ain't never been to no place called Busan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: FBI Background Check Reply with quote

Mrclean wrote:
Fingerprinting on the printable form on the FBI site worked for me. I just printed it and took it to my local dong office and asked them nicely if they would fingerprint me. I had my Korean wife along for translating, but I think I could have done it on my own as well. They routinely do fingerprinting for some other purpose there, so it was no big deal for them to do it. Bring your own wipes, though, for afterwards.

By the way, if you need to notarize anything for the paperwork at your job and you are an American, the US Embassy will do that for you for a small fee.

For me the round trip for the FBI check was more like a month, I think. The form I got back was just a single piece of paper with a red ink stamp proclaiming I had no criminal record.

On that form it says to put on it the name and address of your employer. Did you do that?
SandyG21

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am applying for jobs and don't yet know my employer so can't put it on the FBI form anyway.

With this new background check - it means Americans are at a disadvantage in getting a job - it looks like ours probably takes the longest time.

When January arrives it is going to be interesting to see what the schools reaction will be - maybe they will again change their minds.
interestedinhanguk

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SandyG21 wrote:
I am applying for jobs and don't yet know my employer so can't put it on the FBI form anyway.

With this new background check - it means Americans are at a disadvantage in getting a job - it looks like ours probably takes the longest time.

When January arrives it is going to be interesting to see what the schools reaction will be - maybe they will again change their minds.

There's tons of teachers. Plenty are getting ahead on the game. Plus, this isn't the schools' decision; it's immigration. won't make a difference to them.
drcrazy

Location: Pusan. Yes, that's right. Pusan NOT Busan. I ain't never been to no place called Busan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:27 am    Post subject: Re: FBI Background Check Reply with quote

Mrclean wrote:
Fingerprinting on the printable form on the FBI site worked for me. I just printed it and took it to my local dong office and asked them nicely if they would fingerprint me. I had my Korean wife along for translating, but I think I could have done it on my own as well. They routinely do fingerprinting for some other purpose there, so it was no big deal for them to do it. Bring your own wipes, though, for afterwards.

By the way, if you need to notarize anything for the paperwork at your job and you are an American, the US Embassy will do that for you for a small fee.

For me the round trip for the FBI check was more like a month, I think. The form I got back was just a single piece of paper with a red ink stamp proclaiming I had no criminal record.

And what did you do about the part that says, �Prints must first be checked through the appropriate state identification bureau, and only those fingerprints for which no disqualifying record has been found locally should be submitted for FBI search�.

And, what did you do about the part that says some people have to and some people do not have to use a SS# depending on location.

This is all so complicated. Especially if you are in Korea now.
interestedinhanguk

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: FBI Background Check Reply with quote

drcrazy wrote:

And what did you do about the part that says, �Prints must first be checked through the appropriate state identification bureau, and only those fingerprints for which no disqualifying record has been found locally should be submitted for FBI search�..

Link please.
drcrazy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamiemexi wrote:
I do not understand this part. The paper that you would print from online will be on whatever paper you have in your printer.

This is an online printable fingerprint card:
http://www.fbi.gov/hq/cjisd/pdf/fpcardb.pdf
The FBI accept the paper version or on a cardstock fingerprint card FD-258. The FD-258 cardstock is usually provided at the police station or live scan facility. The cardstock is used for better quality prints so it doesn't get rejected by the FBI. Taking fingerprints on printer paper usually smear the prints because the paper is smooth. Cardstock provide best quality prints. Rule of thumb: if you can see your prints, the FBI will see your prints. If it's smeared, do the prints again.

Where to buy cardstock fingerprint card? They sell in bulk online (http://www.copsplus.com/prodnum5005.php), so it's best to visit the police station or live scan and they may provide you with the cardstock FD258 card.

Agreed, it's spamariffic
It's faster and cheaper to just find out who you have to send it to and mail it there

Just piece of advice, forwarding your background check to the department of justice may or may not delay your apostille. If you do the apostille within your state or with an agency it can be done faster. Just beware that the State Department sometimes take 25 days to process. They process documents for 50 states so they are like the FBI, processing for 50 states, it will be first come first served basis. If they are busy or layoff workers, you will wait a long time.

In my view (I may be wrong) there is something a little wrong with the above advice about sending to an agency for notarization and apostile. Since the FBI check is not done by a state agency, it would be difficult to get any state to notarized and apostille it, unless maybe West Virgina where this FBI branch is located.

Your background check has nothing to do with how it is processed. The apostille procedure is done by country. Since the piece of document (i.e. background check, police background check, degree, diploma) is being used in SOUTH KOREA, it must be apostille. South Korea is part of the hague convention of 1961. If the country is not a part of the hague convention it must go through a chain of authentication (i.e. embassy legalization). China would be an embassy legalization.

The United States is part of the hague convention, so any state is acceptable to the hague convention, hence you can do the apostille in any state.

Here it is interestedinhanguk
drcrazy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drcrazy wrote:
jamiemexi wrote:
I do not understand this part. The paper that you would print from online will be on whatever paper you have in your printer.

This is an online printable fingerprint card:
http://www.fbi.gov/hq/cjisd/pdf/fpcardb.pdf
The FBI accept the paper version or on a cardstock fingerprint card FD-258. The FD-258 cardstock is usually provided at the police station or live scan facility. The cardstock is used for better quality prints so it doesn't get rejected by the FBI. Taking fingerprints on printer paper usually smear the prints because the paper is smooth. Cardstock provide best quality prints. Rule of thumb: if you can see your prints, the FBI will see your prints. If it's smeared, do the prints again.

Where to buy cardstock fingerprint card? They sell in bulk online (http://www.copsplus.com/prodnum5005.php), so it's best to visit the police station or live scan and they may provide you with the cardstock FD258 card.

Agreed, it's spamariffic
It's faster and cheaper to just find out who you have to send it to and mail it there

Just piece of advice, forwarding your background check to the department of justice may or may not delay your apostille. If you do the apostille within your state or with an agency it can be done faster. Just beware that the State Department sometimes take 25 days to process. They process documents for 50 states so they are like the FBI, processing for 50 states, it will be first come first served basis. If they are busy or layoff workers, you will wait a long time.

In my view (I may be wrong) there is something a little wrong with the above advice about sending to an agency for notarization and apostile. Since the FBI check is not done by a state agency, it would be difficult to get any state to notarized and apostille it, unless maybe West Virgina where this FBI branch is located.

Your background check has nothing to do with how it is processed. The apostille procedure is done by country. Since the piece of document (i.e. background check, police background check, degree, diploma) is being used in SOUTH KOREA, it must be apostille. South Korea is part of the hague convention of 1961. If the country is not a part of the hague convention it must go through a chain of authentication (i.e. embassy legalization). China would be an embassy legalization.

The United States is part of the hague convention, so any state is acceptable to the hague convention, hence you can do the apostille in any state.

Here it is interestedinhanguk

One page 2 under INSTRUCTIONS
drcrazy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:36 am    Post subject: Re: FBI Background Check Reply with quote

interestedinhanguk wrote:
drcrazy wrote:

And what did you do about the part that says, �Prints must first be checked through the appropriate state identification bureau, and only those fingerprints for which no disqualifying record has been found locally should be submitted for FBI search�..

Link please.

So, did anyone else have to do this first?
meagan8477

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

interestedinhanguk wrote:
Has anybody requested multiple background checks?
How do I do this? Can just a memo be attached asking for a second copy (something my folks could do since I've sent them the forms already)? Of course, I would enclose the additional $18 cashiers check/money order.

I've sent the forms to my folks who will mail it in. Now i am thinking it might be best to have a second copy; who knows who might lose it (potential employer, immigration etc) and that would set me back a while

I called the # on the FBI website and was told for a second copy just send in another request and that it wouldn't effect your first request.

My first request was mailed Aug. 6, rcvd by FBI Aug. 10. Still waiting for a response. Second request was mailed Sept. 7, rcvd by FBI Sept. 9. No charges have been made to my credit card.
SandyG21

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Megan - did you get refingerprinted for the second request? I would think you would have to do so and they charge separately - extra charge for that here - another 10 dollars.

I just can't imagine the govt. being able to realize it is a second request - they would probably just think you failed to send the fingerprint card.

This is getting expensive - all this documentation - and it takes way too long!

Wait till January when the schools are desparate for teachers - because many are still waiting on these documents!
hollyea

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silly question, but do you think it's a big deal that I forgot to include a prepaid return envelope? I was so focused on the fingerprints and other forms...I'm freaking out over everything that could go wrong haha
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 43, 44, 45  Next
Page 2 of 45

Jump to: