Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FYI - FBI Background Check - Get it done ASAP.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 43, 44, 45  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NM14456

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hollyea wrote:
Silly question, but do you think it's a big deal that I forgot to include a prepaid return envelope? I was so focused on the fingerprints and other forms...I'm freaking out over everything that could go wrong haha

I can't swear to it or give you a source, but I'm almost certain that I saw a reference to this - basically saying it would get mailed through regular federal mail service. I think it also said this would delay delivery 10 days or so.

Really scour the FBI site - I'm pretty sure it's there.
SandyG21

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reality is that the whole process should be faster - 12 weeks or even 6 weeks - considering that many employers in the USA are requiring this as well - I wonder if our senators and congress people know how long this process is taking? Basically my understanding it that it is sent to the FBI and then they have to contact each state to have them look through their databases - it should be faster - not just for us - but for other reasons as well.
mavsfan5

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got my FBI background check in the mail and I'm about to send it to get Apostilled. I'm just hoping they will do the Apostille for it, because there's no signature at all on there. I included a letter with my application for the CBC saying I had to get it Apostilled for a position in Korea, so I'm just hoping that it works. Oh my, this process is getting long!

Also, about not including a self-addressed stamped envelope, I didn't do that and I received it back in just a regular brown envelope.
imoscardotcom

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mavsfan5-how long did it take to get your cbc back from the fbi??
hollyea

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help guys....I feel better commiserating with you all and knowing we're all in the same boat....I'm so impatient!!!!!!!!
mavsfan5

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It took about 8.5 weeks to get the CBC back from the FBI. Not sure why there is such a delay on that!

I'm sending it off to be Apostilled tomorrow, so we'll see how that goes!
omgitsmax

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Silly question, but do you think it's a big deal that I forgot to include a prepaid return envelope? I was so focused on the fingerprints and other forms...I'm freaking out over everything that could go wrong haha

The guy who i talked to at the FBI said that by default it will be returned to you first class mail. apparently thats what part of the fee is for..?
meagan8477

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I called the FBI on Friday and left my name and number and no one called me back... until 9pm (eastern) last night. I thought that was pretty crazy for someone to call me back at 9pm on a Sunday, but anyway...

I didn't ask for my CBC to be authenticated so she said I could send in a letter with my name, address, date of birth and ref# (that she gave me) and requesting for the authentication. She said they only have my first request (Sent 8/7) in the system (as of 9/17 I believe). She said it will probably take another 4 weeks to process my request so I should have time. Also, she said I would need to call back in a few weeks to get the ref # for my second request since it isn't in their system yet.

Ugh such a hassle! I wish there was a box you could check on the application. I am kicking myself for not leaving a note.

SandyG21 wrote:
Megan - did you get refingerprinted for the second request? I would think you would have to do so and they charge separately - extra charge for that here - another 10 dollars.

I just can't imagine the govt. being able to realize it is a second request - they would probably just think you failed to send the fingerprint card.

Yes, I sent in more fingerprint cards.
alwaysbeclosing100

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:17 pm    Post subject: re Reply with quote

mavsfan5 wrote:
It took about 8.5 weeks to get the CBC back from the FBI. Not sure why there is such a delay on that!

I'm sending it off to be Apostilled tomorrow, so we'll see how that goes!

are you getting a normal state apostille or a US State Department apostille?

i'm hoping the state will suffice b/c my family lives near the state capital building. if the state department apostille is anything like the FBI CRC it will be a very slow process.
freeridden

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:21 am    Post subject: check Reply with quote

When I did the state criminal check, I just sent it to someone in the state government to get it apostilled. Can we do this for the FBI check?

It would be nice if some people posted the specific police station in Seoul where they got their fingerprints done. I'm returning to Seoul in a week and need to get that taken care of asap.

The FBI is going to be flooded with requests for checks. I wonder how this will affect future teaching in Korea.
SandyG21

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From reading the Fbi site it looks like if you are ordering the fbi check fro overseas then you can get the apostille from the fbi.

If your within the USA - you have to send it again yourself.

My question is should I mail it to my state? or to the US department of State?

I can't see anything that says a USA current resident should provide a SASE - should I to speed up the process?

Still waiting for it of course.
mavsfan5

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mailed it to my state office but I am still waiting for it back...so I cannot guarantee that is the correct place yet!
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been 10 weeks and I've yet to have my credit card charged. I'll be sending another one again.

FYI: Has to be sent to the US Dept of State for apostillisation, http://www.state.gov/m/a/auth/
unless you want to get it notarised and then send it to Sec of State.
http://www.fbi.gov/hq/cjisd/faqs.html
meagan8477

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sent mine off early Aug and my credit card just got charged today.

Called my state today (Texas) and they will only apostille state documents so the above poster is correct. Must be sent to Washington D.C. for the apostille.
WillTurnerinVanCity

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Guys - just copying this from another thread to get the word out.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:59 am Post subject: Criminal Background Checks (State & FBI) EPIK Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Report Post
Hello Everyone,

I'm not sure if this has been posted yet, but I thought I would throw it on here as a new thread.

As many of you know, the FBI check will be a requirement for American citizens applying for the E-2 visa as of January 1st of this year.

We've recently heard that EPIK will temporarily accept a state level CRC for the recommendation process, but that US applicants should submit the FBI level CRC by December 31st.

So for those of you who are concerned that the process starts Oct 4th, and that your record check won't be done on time, you can use a State Level Check as a temporary replacement. As long as your get your FBI check going immediately (so that you have it by late December), you should be just fine.

Here is the state level info for each state.
http://www.footprintsrecruiting.com/korea-information/visa-information/americans-state-level-criminal-record-checks

Here is the FBI crc check:
http://www.fbi.gov/hq/cjisd/fprequest.htm

My apologies if this has already been posted elsewhere! As always, best of luck to all of you who are applying.

-Will at Footprints
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 43, 44, 45  Next
Page 3 of 45

Jump to: