Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Current teacher hasn't responded to my email...?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michlerish

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:06 am    Post subject: Current teacher hasn't responded to my email...? Reply with quote

I'm seriously considering a certain position in Bangbae area. I posted the contract in the review thread which has yet to be reviewed, and I emailed a current teacher but he hasn't replied yet.

Usually the current teacher responds right away... could this be a bad sign that he just isn't answering? I definitely want to hear about some first-hand experience before I sign the contract. My searches on google and on here return nothing about the academy.

I want to give the school an answer asap before I lose out on this potentially great position. What should I do?
FastForward

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Current teacher hasn't responded to my email...? Reply with quote

Michlerish wrote:
I'm seriously considering a certain position in Bangbae area. I posted the contract in the review thread which has yet to be reviewed, and I emailed a current teacher but he hasn't replied yet.

Usually the current teacher responds right away... could this be a bad sign that he just isn't answering? I definitely want to hear about some first-hand experience before I sign the contract. My searches on google and on here return nothing about the academy.

I want to give the school an answer asap before I lose out on this potentially great position. What should I do?

I would email the recruiter and advise that you are really interested in the position, but still waiting for a response from the foreign teacher. In my case the recruiter relayed that message to the school and the school told the foreign teacher to response ASAP.

If that doesn't work and you really want the job, then look over the contract, if it looks good, sign it. You don't always have to hear from a foreign teacher, but it is advised to.
schwa

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might be on vacation.
kinship

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Current teacher hasn't responded to my email...? Reply with quote

Michlerish wrote:

I wouldn't put too much stockin what a current foreign teacher has to say about particular school. Thier response to your questions can be influenced by so many factors which do change. How they were treated may be different than how you will be treated.

Or what they let slide or accepted you may not. It all depends. If you like the contract and feel it is a good fit then sign it and get to work.
dairyairy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a perfect world they would contact you and you would contact them. You are not in a perfect world. Honestly, I wouldn't trust what someone says. You never know what you're dealing with, anyway.

I have always tried to be honest with teachers if they contact me, but so far only one has bothered. Meanwhile, I've had two tell me outright lies and two left their places trashed. Three have left owing utility money that was eventually taken out of their deposits. At this point I would say don't bother.
Michlerish

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for the replies.

Honestly, every job is looking like the same thing and I've just been desperately searching for something to set them apart to help me decide.

10-11 hour days with free lunch breaks vs. 9 hour days with lunch with the kids?
gangnam vs seocho?
contract that looks sketchy but awesome honest email from current teacher that makes it sound great?

It's daunting... I like hearing from a current teacher just to help me feel more comfortable with my decision.
kinship

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
10-11 hour days with free lunch breaks vs. 9 hour days with lunch with the kids?
gangnam vs seocho?
contract that looks sketchy

Sometimes you just have to figure out what you are comfortable with and look for that. On paper most jobs look alike and it becomes a leap of faith. You just have to make a decision and learn while you are here.
Knucklehead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

perhaps went to their junk folder... ask for a phone number. prob don't call but maybe send a text
PREEST

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had a head foreign teacher who was an absolute ass and only got the title because he had been there the longest. He lied, deceived and manipulated people. Like others have already said, you can't trust that the foreign teacher is going to give you an honest description. Also, if the school wants to hire you, the foreign teacher will more than likely be monitored while talking with you, and wont be able to tell you the down sides of the job because it might discourage you from signing.
The thing is, a lot of the foreigners in Korea are complete losers, so be discerning. If you do get a chance to speak with a foreign teacher, chances are you can gauge if you think he/she is straight up.

If he/she doesn't get back to you soon, you might loose the position. I would just take the job. If you decide down the track you don't like it, you can always find something else (however you'll loose your pension and severance pay).

Good luck.
Michlerish

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone. I eventually heard back and the position sounds alright, may be some issues with initial housing... but overall sounds good. So I accepted. Very Happy Fingers crossed I made the right decision.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: