Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mosquitos
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phaedrus

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just wondering about mosquito coils. I see them here used indoors. In Canada they have warnings on them not to use them indoors. Do you suppose they are different or are people here just stupid?
Toby

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw my firrst the other day. Fed it to my venus fly trap plant, which enjoyed it very much. Maybe it just enjoyed my blood that it had inside of it.
Zed

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently they're using radiation to deal with the mosquito problem in parts of Africa. They iradiate millions of male mosquitos rendering them sterile and release them into the wilds.
VanIslander

Location: Geoje, Hadong, Tongyeong,... now in a small coastal island town outside Gyeongsangnamdo!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zed (emphasis added) wrote:
Apparently they're using radiation to deal with the mosquito problem in parts of Africa. They iradiate millions of male mosquitos rendering them sterile and release them into the wilds.

Great. But only female mosquitoes bite. So, it'd take a few weeks to effect the population, in which time previously deposited eggs will hatch, requiring further doses of radiation.
I wouldn't want to be anywhere near where that's done.
Zed

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VanIslander wrote:
Zed (emphasis added) wrote:

Great. But only female mosquitoes bite. So, it'd take a few weeks to effect the population, in which time previously deposited eggs will hatch, requiring further doses of radiation.
I wouldn't want to be anywhere near where that's done.
Yes, I know. Here's the deal:
Quote:
Scientists breed insects and expose the males to enough radiation to render them sterile.

The males are then released into the environment to breed with the females, whose eggs are unfertilised and never hatch.

"The whole idea or concept is that the population would actually start to crash and eventually may actually lead to eradication of the insect, and therefore eradication of the disease and less malaria," said Mr Knols, who has personally suffered nine bouts of malaria through working with mosquitoes.

Quote:
Over the next five years, they need to reach a point where they can produce a million sterile male insects a day.

The males they breed must be robust enough to survive when released from planes into the environment and tough enough to compete with fertile males during mating.

The females, the ones which bite humans, only mate once in their two-week lives.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/s1094407.htm
VanIslander

Location: Geoje, Hadong, Tongyeong,... now in a small coastal island town outside Gyeongsangnamdo!

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The blood suckers are swarming.

Last week's rains plus last weekend's sun equals mosquito bites everywhere, including the palm of my left hand as I'm typing in Dave's posts today. I gotta climb onto my netted bed now.

Chow!
Gosp

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Neem Oil ��from the Neem Tree is a natural mosquito repellent

2. Eat Bananas �� the jungles of South America aren't filled with bananas for nothing

3. Bats! �� bats eat literally tons of mosquitoes
Grotto

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 8:15 am    Post subject: skeeters Reply with quote

The mosquitos in korea are much like Koreans...somewhat shy and reluctant to get some foriegner in their mouth Wink

They love ankles Exclamation Crying or Very sad

Compared to the mosquitos of Alberta, Korean mosquitos are darn right sociable Very Happy

In Alberta they fly up to you slap you with a chunk of lumber and then stab you with a straw and proceed to dine.

In Korea they bow, say sorry and gently nibble...of course the large itchy bumps afterwards are the same but the initial impact is much less.
justagirl

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used one of those mosquito plug-in oil things that goes in the electric socket. It seemed to work pretty well--better than nothing at all! They run about 6-7,000, and I just flipped the switch on it around 5 pm, and left it on until morning.

If the moggies bug ya, maybe you should run to E-mart/Lotte mart and buy one. It'd be worth the money.
Zed

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

justagirl wrote:
I used one of those mosquito plug-in oil things that goes in the electric socket. It seemed to work pretty well--better than nothing at all! They run about 6-7,000, and I just flipped the switch on it around 5 pm, and left it on until morning.

If the moggies bug ya, maybe you should run to E-mart/Lotte mart and buy one. It'd be worth the money.
How exactly do those things work?
Toby

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zed wrote:
justagirl wrote:

Fumes I think, which makes me really happy to use them!!! Poisonous fumes all night! Nothing better.
Zed

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toby wrote:
Zed wrote:
justagirl wrote:

Fumes I think, which makes me really happy to use them!!! Poisonous fumes all night! Nothing better.
Yes, that's what I had heard also but I don't know for sure. That's why I'd always avoided them.
justagirl

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose if your bed is right next to the plug-in it might not be good...but mine never was, so that's why it didn't bother me. I never even thought about that.

It can't be any worse than the fumes in those coils, or the spray stuff you put on your skin to keep them away.

I never had bad dreams, headaches, or anything else when I used them. Now I have an air-con so no mosquito problem.
matthews_world

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

justagirl wrote:
Now I have an air-con so no mosquito problem.

Aircons keep the windows closed.

If you don't have an aircon, get one of those floor-standing zappers, the things with the lights about 1.5m tall. They can be bought at Home Plus or E-Mart, etc. I've seen em for 250,000-400,000 won. A good investment.

Those plug-in things don't actually kill the mosquito, they just omit a gas that intoxicate the mosquitoes. In turn they usually fly crazy and usually end up near the ground to where you can kill 'em easier.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
chiaa

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing, Korea has the smartest toughest mosquitos in the world. Being from Florida, I know my mosquitos and them American mosquitos have nothing on Korean ones. I am still trying to figure out how the get into my house. Instead of sring cleaning, we do a spring mosquito defense. Still baffles me how they get into the house...

http://www.whatthebook.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: