Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Popularity of Western-Style Weddings in Japan Creates Demand

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
World Traveler

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:56 pm    Post subject: Popularity of Western-Style Weddings in Japan Creates Demand Reply with quote

Amazing. Has anyone done something like this?

Popularity of Western-Style Weddings in Japan Creates Demand for White Officiants
Quote:
"Tom," as I call him, is an American student in Japan who does weddings for the same reason he teaches English. Money. He says, "I'm not ordained, I'm not religious, I don't understand anything that I'm reading in the actual ceremony."

http://pri.org/stories/2012-12-26/popularity-western-style-weddings-japan-creates-demand-white-officiants
Quote:
Anyone can officiate because the whole thing is just for show. "Tom" says he feels ridiculous when he administers weddings, and that the only reason they hired him was because of his race: "I'm white, I'm young, and that's it. That's the only thing that they care about. I'm a photo model is what I feel like. I'm a photo priest."

An English friend got him the job. He gave Tom the priest outfit, complete with rosary and cross, along with a binder full of notes. For the first few weddings, Tom was really nervous. He was worried that he was pronouncing everything correctly, and that his English sounded "English enough."

But "Tom" soon realized everyone was nervous and confused. He says there are only a few things you can't mess up.

You need to pronounce the couples names right, the couple needs to get the right rings on the right fingers, and at the end they need to kiss at the right moment. And, hopefully, on the lips.

The only instruction the wedding organizers gave him was to smile more, clap louder, and make sure to pronounce the word "kiss" with a really strong Japanese accent. So now he says "you may kissu the bride." It helps avoid confusion.

After every ceremony, Tom strips down to his t-shirt and jeans and sneaks out of the ornate chapel through a back door. On the way out, someone hands him an envelope with about $200 in yen.
optik404

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Japan, you so crazy. At least the "minster" speaks in Japanese as well.
Neil

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

in other news, Germany has invaded Poland...
NohopeSeriously

Location: The Christian Right-Wing Educational Republic of Korea

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here in Korea you are born semi-Christian, married Christian, and die either Christian or Confucian (or in rare cases, Buddhist).
goat

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NohopeSeriously wrote:
Here in Korea you are born semi-Christian, married Christian, and die either Christian or Confucian (or in rare cases, Buddhist).

Born semi-christian, married christian? Oh really?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: