Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KT: Girls' Generation faces racial attack
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ghostrider

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:58 pm    Post subject: KT: Girls' Generation faces racial attack Reply with quote

Quote:
Describing the moment of winning the award in a crowded auditorium in New York, CNN reported, “While massively popular in Asia, the reaction to its win from the American audience was muted — with scattered applause, but mostly a long, deafening silence.”

Many viewers of the ceremony, which was streamed live online, were upset with what they called a “rude” reaction, one of whom said “That’s the worst problem I guess for people in the United States... being ethnocentric.”

Some viewers assailed the group with racist commentaries. “The question is why is Girls’ Generation in America if they can’t speak a word of English lolllooololl,” an unidentified individual complained on Tweeter, referring to the award-winning song, whose lyrics are all in Korean save a couple of English words. Another said “CHING CHONGS INVADING MY MENTIONS SOMEONE WHY DIDN’T THEY DIE WHEN AMERICA NUKED THEM.”

A disheartened Bieber fan said, “HOW DID JUSTIN LOSE OVER SOME JAPANESE CHICK NO ONE KNOWS.” One Katy Perry fan tweeted, “My mention full with Asian ching chang chong.”

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/culture/2013/11/386_145820.html

So that's what the Korean teachers in the teachers' room were talking about the other day. They were having a lively conversation in which they mentioned the name Justin Beiber a few times.
saram_

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most likely they (Korean co teachers) were referring to the video of Bieber that was leaked by a Brazilian prostitute though..
It was my wife that told me about it so it got around aplenty in Korea as well as everywhere else.

http://t.co/oLUaIaSKFK
maitaidads

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, but think what would happen if Nickelback won an award- at a show broadcast from Korea and mostly intended for an Asian audience- due to a write-in campaign from Canadians? There would be confusion, excitement and rage about it from the KR netizens I imagine Wink
Fox

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
“That’s the worst problem I guess for people in the United States... being ethnocentric.”

Seriously?
World Traveler

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw a report about acceptance of minorities in various developed countries across the world. The U.S. was ranked high, as was Canada. South Korea: below average.

(The reason the audience didn't applaud wildly was not because of racism or ethnocentrism, but because the song I've Got A Boy sucks.)
John Stamos jr.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Youtube has a music award show now? Alright...

Anyway, I didn't know journalists were now allowed to write articles when their primary sources are anonymous youtube comments and tweets made by 14 year old girls.

This kind of music is little girl music and Bieber has jacked about $300 million in babysitting money from that demographic already, while riding balls deep in them, so of course, possibly not even a teenager yet, sally4bieber999 from dickville, Arkansas is going to be mad and say something dumb on the Internet. Regardless, kt never had any credibility to begin with and this is nothing more than another example of how paranoid and weird korean people can be sometimes. Even my phone auto corrected and capitalized Bieber, eesh. I also didn't know all girl pop groups were even popular in the US anymore, since like the TLC days.
Popocatepetl

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Girls generation have no rapport with americans or any non- koreans. Neither have they taken any steps to build one.

I remember watching them get off their tour bus. They avoided foreigners like the plague, don't speak a word of english, and seemed to react with horror to foreign people.

Its embarrasing to watch and I kinda feel sorry for them, but they're just too korean-korean to know what it takes. Ice cold aloof me-me-me gangnam princesses covered in make-up is not a formula that is going to do well in the west. If their team had simply asked the advice of a foreigner, it probably would have saved them millions.

If Korea wants a genuine success in the US they will probably have to recruit an american korean whose family has lived there for several generations. Someone who accepts non-korean people and who knows that the secret to popularity is actually having a message and communicating to fans on their level.
cabeza

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always racisim isn't it.

The fact that two of the source quotes they use form bastion of journalistic integrity "twitter" both mention Japan show the problem pretty clearly:

No one, outside a core of koreaphiles, hasn't any idea of who this group is.

Terrible racism.

Edit: I obviously mean in the west.
johnny_russian

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Popocatepetl wrote:
Girls generation have no rapport with americans or any non- koreans. Neither have they taken any steps to build one.

I remember watching them get off their tour bus. They avoided foreigners like the plague, don't speak a word of english, and seemed to react with horror to foreign people.

Its embarrasing to watch and I kinda feel sorry for them, but they're just too korean-korean to know what it takes. Ice cold aloof me-me-me gangnam princesses covered in make-up is not a formula that is going to do well in the west. If their team had simply asked the advice of a foreigner, it probably would have saved them millions.

If Korea wants a genuine success in the US they will probably have to recruit an american korean whose family has lived there for several generations. Someone who accepts non-korean people and who knows that the secret to popularity is actually having a message and communicating to fans on their level.

errrr ... two of them are actually Korean-American, and speak pretty fluent English. Jessica was born in the US and lived there until she was 11, and Tiffany was also born in the US and lived there until she was 15.
Kepler

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Winners will be chosen by popular vote from YouTube users around the world, meaning that fans from South Korea or Brazil or anywhere else could choose the victors if they vote in large enough numbers. But voting is limited to once per person per day, for each award category, Ms. Tiedt said, to filter out fraud and the overzealous."
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/02/business/media/youtube-plans-a-music-awards-show-live-from-new-york.html?_r=0

I saw the video. My first reaction was- how did this happen? Why was this chosen as the best music video of the year by youtube users? Then I thought about the billions of people in China and other Asian countries. Maybe a lot of those people would rather see an Asian group win the award than an American one and they easily outnumber Americans.
maitaidads

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Popocatepetl wrote:
Jessica was born in the US and lived there until she was 11, and Tiffany was also born in the US and lived there until she was 15.

I think that was the intro for an "Unsolved Mysteries" episode about child brides sold abroad from Ohio.
dairyairy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kepler wrote:
"Winners will be chosen by popular vote from YouTube users around the world, meaning that fans from South Korea or Brazil or anywhere else could choose the victors if they vote in large enough numbers. But voting is limited to once per person per day, for each award category, Ms. Tiedt said, to filter out fraud and the overzealous."
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/02/business/media/youtube-plans-a-music-awards-show-live-from-new-york.html?_r=0

I saw the video. My first reaction was- how did this happen? Why was this chosen as the best music video of the year by youtube users? Then I thought about the billions of people in China and other Asian countries. Maybe a lot of those people would rather see an Asian group win the award than an American one and they easily outnumber Americans.

So they stuffed the ballot box again just like with that "Rain versus Colbert" event a few years ago?
dairyairy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maitaidads wrote:
Yeah, but think what would happen if Nickelback won an award- at a show broadcast from Korea and mostly intended for an Asian audience- due to a write-in campaign from Canadians? There would be confusion, excitement and rage about it from the KR netizens I imagine Wink

And the Korea Times would accuse everyone of racism, of course.
saram_

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A nice little insight here into how the winning video is chosen and the power of K-Pop fandom..

http://m.us.wsj.com/articles/BL-SEB-78043

More power to them..

Anyway- looking forward to this rainy little spell in Seoul ending soon and then everyone complaining about the sudden drop in temperature and how damn cold this Winter is.
El Bandito

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnny_russian wrote:
Popocatepetl wrote:

errrr ... two of them are actually Korean-American, and speak pretty fluent English. Jessica was born in the US and lived there until she was 11, and Tiffany was also born in the US and lived there until she was 15.

Wow. You made such a relevant point there. Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: