Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Working for the British Council
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nizpaz

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:50 am    Post subject: Working for the British Council Reply with quote

I'm thinking of applying for the BC for Feb next year. Done the public school set up for several contracts.

Does anyone work there or know of people who work there and can offer an opinion on such things as shift patterns, class sizes, office politics. And is it VERY institutionised as only the British public sector can be? (You know what I mean Cool ) Is it slave/master as opposed to a relatively easy routine of public school. Do people get through the 2 year contracts?

I know about pay, holidays, and other benefits from their adverts but I'm interested in the actual working experience. Am I right in thinking it's great for professional development, but THEIR way?

If anyone would rather keep their opinion private, then please feel free to PM me.

Hoping someone can help. Thanks
elliot79

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you need a PGCE to work for them?
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
do you need a PGCE to work for them?

No, you need a CELTA (or equiv) plus 2 years post CELTA experience.

[/quote]I'm thinking of applying for the BC for Feb next year. Done the public school set up for several contracts.

Does anyone work there or know of people who work there and can offer an opinion on such things as shift patterns, class sizes, office politics. And is it VERY institutionised as only the British public sector can be? (You know what I mean ) Is it slave/master as opposed to a relatively easy routine of public school. Do people get through the 2 year contracts?

I know about pay, holidays, and other benefits from their adverts but I'm interested in the actual working experience. Am I right in thinking it's great for professional development, but THEIR way?

If anyone would rather keep their opinion private, then please feel free to PM me.

Hoping someone can help. Thanks[quote]

You'll probably be on 21 hours a week teaching when you get there but the students have high expectations and you'll have to prepare properly. If what attracted you to public school most was the opportunity to slack off, I wouldn't bother applying. Most people see out their contracts. You'll teach a mixture of adults and kids early morning to afternoon or afternoon to evening. mon-frid, tue-sat or sun-thur. Their mission statement states that they don't favour a particular method of teaching so you have a lot of freedom in the class room. You'll probably be observed a few times in your first year by management. Professional development opportunities are numerous in a lot of different fields but you have to compete against other employees and outside candidates for advancement, as in any work situation. They have their own method of selecting candidates, as any company does, and if you're developing professionally in a way that doesn't suit them, they won't advance you - as with any company. Generally if you're serious about teaching and can take working for a big corporation with a small amount of office politics, I'd say it was a great place to work. You will be exdpected to do your job well but will be treated as a professional
le-paul

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had a postion (as a teaching assistant) in switzerland with the BC around 6 years ago (things may have changed).
At that time, students who wanted a year out from a degree program were encouraged to apply.
I had finished my degree and applied with 3 months teaching experience in seoul and a crappy 2 day tefl cert. They gave me the job straight away.

The job entailed taking half of a class and teaching them, the same way I do now.- but more usually in conversation.
My preparation was the same as it is now - just trying to keep students engaged. I was never asked to submit lesson plans though this may be different now.
I worked 18 hours a week and was paid around 3 mil a month with no other benefits.

My colleagues were assisted in finding accomodation before they entered the country though.
They also offered good support and training/orientation to new teachers (and paid me 200,000 to go to Geneva for a day to do training day and offer advice to new teachers as I had already lived in switzerland for 3 months prior).

My freinds at the time worked in france, germany, switzerland. Experiences/expectation of the school differed from school to school (as you would expect) as did the pay.
nizpaz

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies.

A further question, is the BC seen by Koreans as just an expensive hogwon or as an embassy thing? I'm wondering about such things as credit cards and phone accounts which have proven easier to aquire working for public school than friends who work in hogwons.

Any other pointers out there?
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I worked there I never heard of anyone who wanted a credit card or phone contract that didn't get one. Why do you want to know anyway if you've already acquired them?
le-paul

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nizpaz wrote:

A further question, is the BC seen by Koreans as just an expensive hogwon or as an embassy thing?

why do you want to know this? who cares what the koreans think about the BC? - i doubt they even know it exists if it doesnt feed them kimchi or appear on tv in a drama.

Do you mean in terms of furthering your career as a hogwan teacher?
I would imagine the fact that it has the words 'British' and 'council' in it (if they know the word council ) it would sound very grand.
I would also imagine that that would be as far as it went.
nizpaz

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edwardcatflap wrote:
When I worked there I never heard of anyone who wanted a credit card or phone contract that didn't get one. Why do you want to know anyway if you've already acquired them?

Because I had assumed changing from public school would mean the loss of my guarantor on contracts and secondly my visa would change and possibly my new visa would give me a different ARC number? But it's good to know of your experiences, thanks.

Le-Paul ? These are not such odd questions if you've worked in ps and realised that there are a number of hoops a person can jump through easier than working for a hogwon, hence my entirely logical question about how the BC is perceived. There's really no need to be so ill mannered.

I just wanted some opinions about the BC in Seoul, and would still welcome them for others with something to offer.
Thanks.
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apart from the two things you mentioned I can't think of any other examples where the Korean attitude to your workplace would give you any benefits as a result of working at the BC. Most of the advantages when I worked there stemmed from the fact that you aren't working for Koreans. If you work there you'll find a lot of your students are learning English to get the same kind of advantages by getting a job with a foreign company
le-paul

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Working for the British Council Reply with quote

nizpaz wrote:
I'm thinking of applying for the BC for Feb next year. Done the public school set up for several contracts.

Does anyone work there or know of people who work there and can offer an opinion on such things as shift patterns, class sizes, office politics. And is it VERY institutionised as only the British public sector can be? (You know what I mean Cool ) Is it slave/master as opposed to a relatively easy routine of public school. Do people get through the 2 year contracts?

Hoping someone can help. Thanks

sorry to be so pedantic, but you really didnt stipulate that you were applying to work for the BC in seoul. The BC have positions all over the globe so it is easy to be confused about the ambiguity of your question specifically in terms of location.
As for being ill mannered - Im simply being frank - I really dont think Koreans know about anything that doesnt concern them directly usually.
I doubt they would know the BC exisits and if you did put it on your CV, it - I sincerley mean that. It would look grand cos it has the words B and C in it.
and if your changing visa, unless your transfering it - you would have to transfer sponsor/get a new E2 - i think if your interested in that specifically (visa/sponsor/changing) you should post that as a specific topic.
applogies if i was rude Smile
Caffeinated

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From ads I've seen on subways, the BC in Seoul seems pretty aggressive about marketing themselves as a place to study English.
Tamada

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stating the obvious but.....you MUST have a British passport to work there.
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
From ads I've seen on subways, the BC in Seoul seems pretty aggressive about marketing themselves as a place to study English.

I'm surprised, I've never known the British Council to be aggressive about advertising as they generate most business by word of mouth. I've never seen an ad on the subway. Out of interest, what are they plugging as their usp?

Quote:
Stating the obvious but.....you MUST have a British passport to work there.

Not true. In Korea they employ people with a degree level education from all the seven English speaking countries and they obviously employ a lot of Korean nationals. In other countries, where the local laws don't get in the way, they employ people from a variety of Non-English speaking countries as teachers too, as long as they have the required teaching qualifications and experience. They are an equal opportunities employer so they particularly welcome applications from minorities
youtuber

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am guessing that now would not be the ideal time to apply with 500,000 civil servants in Britain getting the axe recently.
Caffeinated

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="edwardcatflap"]
Quote:

I'm surprised, I've never known the British Council to be aggressive about advertising as they generate most business by word of mouth. I've never seen an ad on the subway. Out of interest, what are they plugging as their usp?

The subway handles were turned into BC ads stating BC as the place for studying English.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: