Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Obtaining Visas While Traveling (China, Russia)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hexagonsun

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:34 pm    Post subject: Obtaining Visas While Traveling (China, Russia) Reply with quote

I'm currently planning a monumental journey when my contract is up in March. However, logistically it's turning into an f-ing nightmare while I try to weigh my options in terms of entering and leaving a country. Time is not a concern nor is money. I'll have complete freedom.

First, I will be going to India for a month (month and a half), then to Laos for 2 weeks. I'll obtain that visa while in Korea.

Now, this is where the logistic issues come into. I plan on taking the Trans-Siberian (or Mongolian) Railroad to Moscow. That means I need a visa for China and Russia. I've hear Russia is quite a pain in the arse to get.

Should I get these visas before I start off to India?

OR

Should I get them while on the road?

I know can get them up to three months in advance, but I don't want to restrict myself so much. What if I fall in love with a certain area/place and want to spend a bit more time there? You know?

Honestly, I'm not thrilled so much about going to China to begin with. China's not one of my top to-do's. It's more of a stop over point rather than an exploration. Plus, it's a hella expansive visa just to stop for a week or so.

My question remains the same after this diatribe, can I get visa for China and Russian on the road? What's the process like? Is it worth my time/money for China? Would it be possible to get a Visa for China and Russia if I decided to kill some time in Hong Kong?

Thanks Dave's
northway

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laos has visa on arrival.
travel zen

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What nationality are you?

My American friend had to wait 3 weeks for a visa to Russia.

You can easily get a visa to China from India. Consulate in Delhi, wait 3 days.

Russia will be the problem...
hexagonsun

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm American. Yeah, I heard the Russian visa is a pain to get and my research confirms this.

I just realized I could go to Hong Kong after Laos and get a Chinese visa the next day.

http://www.fbt-chinavisa.com.hk/

Now I gotta deal with the Ruskies. Argh.
Ruthdes

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, when I did the trans-Mongolian, my American friend had a terrible time trying to get the Russian visa in Seoul. At first, they denied it for no reason, then he had to pay for an expedited one, and almost didn't get to go on our trip (which he'd already paid over $2000 for). Luckily it came through with 2 days to spare. The only thing I can say is that I'm pretty sure it's no picnic for a Russian to get into America either.

I don't know about getting it Hong Kong, but maybe talk to monkeyshrine.com. We had limited time so we did our trip through them and they were very helpful with that kind of logistical information.

If you want to avoid China, you could start at Vladivostok. I don't know what airfares from SE Asia to there are like (presumably more than your Chinese visa), but it would be an unusual, interesting place to start, plus you would avoid the border crossings on the train (which were pretty damn annoying). Mongolia was a very interesting place to visit though, so it would be a shame to miss that. The Gobi is so vast and silent. If I went again, I would definitely stop at Lake Baikal, which was beautiful.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: