Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

BUSTED! (for teaching privates)!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 3:51 pm    Post subject: BUSTED! (for teaching privates)! Reply with quote

Did I catch your attention?

Has anyone posting on this board ever been busted for teaching privates? If so, what was your experience?

I've heard tons and tons of rumors, but haven't met anyone who has been actually busted, fined, and deported.

Rumor has it that its 1 million won fine and you have to leave the country within 48 hours or something like that? But i heard yet another rumor that you can just come right back on another visa?

Anyone with the experience can verify, deny, correct or ridicule this?
vdowd

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 5:28 pm    Post subject: Penalty if caught Reply with quote

Yes, I had a friend who was caught teaching privates. She had been teaching privates for over a year when she was busted shortly after renewing her contract. After someone reported her, she was followed by a private investigator who confirmed the rumor.

Result: Her school would keep her and would pay the fine if she paid them back. It was very high - she would have been working for 3 months without pay if she accepted OR she had 48 hours to get out of the country. Since she was some distance from Seoul this was a challenge. She opted for the flight home.

So if your teaching privates be very wary. The best bet is to teach at your home because if investigated, the children are just visitors. And consider not accepted $ for payment - gifts between friends are more easy to defend.
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Penalty if caught Reply with quote

vdowd wrote:
Yes, I had a friend who was caught teaching privates.

What would happen if she wanted to come back?
peemil

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2003 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why work?!?
jajdude

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2003 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I met one guy in Taiwan who was deported (from Korea) for it.
euro_slapper

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Penalty if caught Reply with quote

Tiger Beer wrote:
vdowd wrote:
Yes, I had a friend who was caught teaching privates.

What would happen if she wanted to come back?

I was caught teaching privates 8 years ago, not deported, but sacked and asked to leave the country. So I did. However, I shall be returning in September to work for the same school and I will not be teaching privately again. I learnt the hard way.
Gosp

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What if no money changes hands? I'm not implying anything sexual or taboo, but what if there's food exchanged for private lessons. What if you just spend some extra time with one or more students off the clock ˇ©for freeˇ© to help them out [age would be a consideration here, you can't be hanging out with a bunch of five year olds at nine in the evening].

P.S. Can you tell I've never taught English before?
tomwaits

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2002 I was busted for teaching in an illegal hagwan. (No e-2 of course.) Anyway I was not deported I was given an EXIT ORDER which I think is more common. There were no restrictions on re-entry..In fact all my stuff was here so I just did a quick "visa run." Actual deportation I suppose would be different...By the way the fine was 700K--school paid most of it-they were good about it...They hold your passport until the fine is paid.

PS---I don't think the onus is on Immigration to provide a lot of proof. If someone reports you and Immigration find you (say) sitting around a table with Koreans-you are BUSTED.
JennyJJ

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny that almost everyone claims to "know someone" or "has a friend" yada yada yada, but few really know.

I have "some friends" and "know some people" who have taught privately here for years - with never a bust. I suspect busts are quite rare and tend to involve people who are too visible and overdo it - and perhaps tout their activities a bit too much. My previous tour of Korea (in Pusan 93-95) involved 2-3 privates every weeknight for two years - with never even a whisper of a problem. Never met anyone there who got busted - never met anyone where I am now who got busted.

Much more likely you'll get busted working at a hagwon illegally as the hagwons tend to pimp each other to immigration - for what they would view as "competitive" reasons. Have heard of ONE person in four years here - who was busted - and that was at a hagwon.

That aside, the mad dogs arrayed against privates will now go on a feeding frenzy. Usher them in boys . . .
Homer

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jenny,

By the same logic, simply because you never really saw or hear of anyone being busted it does not follow that it does not happen more often then in your experience.
I personnally know of 7 people who got busted, all of which were deported and fined to various degrees.
Of course its not a majority of people teaching pvts who get busted but some do.
Also to consider is those that get busted and no one hears about.

Its a difficult thing to measure really.
Juggertha

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must agree... Jenny, if they were busted I suppose it'd be hard to meet them.

Honestly I think this is a pretty fair representation here. It happens. Not too often but it does. When it does it sucks and chances are you have to pay/leave.

I also agree that imigration really needs "little" evidence to boot cha.
sadsac

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Privates do not only cover teaching students outside your contracted school. If you give your tim voluntarily to an orphange or any organisation such as that and are caught without having he consent of your school, then this also constitutes teaching privates. Money doesn't have to change hands and it clearly states any for of remunneration is unacceptable. So be very careful. Smile
Homer

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sadsac,

But there are degrees there.

I volunter at the Y and immigration came over a few times. They asked me, I told them, they checked I was not getting paid and everything was fine.
TheUrbanMyth

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomwaits wrote:

PS---I don't think the onus is on Immigration to provide a lot of proof. If someone reports you and Immigration find you (say) sitting around a table with Koreans-you are BUSTED.

Nonsense. What if your boss takes you and the other Korean teachers out to dinner? What if you are visiting your Korean gf? What if you are working out in a gym and stop for a few moments to chat with a couple of Koreans? What if you go out to a bar and an attractive young Korean female (or male, for you ladies) starts talking to you. Should you just get up and leave? I pity you if you actually believe this. Your paranoia must be off the scale.
bjonothan

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teaching illegally used to be a very good way to make a heap of cash. Me and a mate did it for two years before we realised that it wasn't the way to go anymore. I got an E-2 visa this time, my friend however was flown here and then denied an E-2 visa because he couldn't give the immigration office a decent enough explanation about what he had been doing for the 2 previous years. Now with all of the paki, Indonesian and whatever other countries having people here for years on no visa at all they decided that my mate wouldn't be getting a visa but they would turn a blind eye to him staying here. He said he did free consulting work and that didn't worry them. I stayed with a host family when I first came here, so what if I taught the kids there.....would I get deported? NO!
Thay still have to prove that you were doing something wrong.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: