Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TN English Gwangju

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rach123

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:53 am    Post subject: TN English Gwangju Reply with quote

Does anyone have any info on this school? The hours are 9:00-6:00, that's nine hours. Is that standard, a nine hour day?
HagwonKanobi77

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in Gwangju, and work at Reading Town and I actually just walked by TN English today--not sure if it is the branch you might work at, is it the one by the Convention Center? Or do you not know? Anyway I work from about 1:30 to about 9:40--seems like 8 hours is the standard, but I've seen 9-hours a lot as well.
rach123

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might be. I think there is only one in Gwangju and another one elsewhere. I know they have a pretty new complex, where the apartments are above the school. It sounds like a nice building.
elliot79

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HagwonKanobi77 wrote:
I live in Gwangju, and work at Reading Town and I actually just walked by TN English today--not sure if it is the branch you might work at, is it the one by the Convention Center? Or do you not know? Anyway I work from about 1:30 to about 9:40--seems like 8 hours is the standard, but I've seen 9-hours a lot as well.

did you go through Apple Recruting by any chance?
HagwonKanobi77

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't mean Appletree Recruiting, do you? I'll assume yes, but yeah and a gal by the name, Sunny, helped me out. And to answer Rach's question, the building looked brand new and sits across the street from, what I've been told are, the most expensive apartments in Gwangju.
superjo2092

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:48 pm    Post subject: TN English Gwangju Reply with quote

I've known a few people that have worked there. Best advice would be to not take the position. There was a lot of drama recently with some employees vs. their employer. Also, they were trying to keep some of their new foreign teachers off of contracts for a few months. Sketchy situations with that school nowadays. Also, there's a cafe in the building where mothers can come in and watch the CCTV footage of you teaching their kids. If this is the one by Kim Dae Jun Convention Center, I'd stay away from it.
UmarifficCKzzle

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:02 am    Post subject: TNEnglish in Gwangju Reply with quote

Hey rach123, I know it's been a long time since this was first posted, but I thought I'd add my two cents on TN. First, I work at TNEnglish, I have been here since the summer of 2010. I'm very happy here, most of the teachers are treated with the utmost respect, and the apartments we're given are the best in the area. I honestly haven't seen any better from fellow teachers in other schools.

Though, superjo2092 is actually right about a few things he mentions. There was a lot of drama in September of last year, when one of the American teachers over here got in trouble for some personal matters. When addressed with these issues he didn't want or feel the need to change, and instead tried to fight the school, which ended in him getting his second year contract revoked, and was transferred to a different school. This created resentment in three of the teachers, who have actually since left, or are leaving within the week, due to their contracts being up. The new teachers being off of contracts for months, is not correct in any sense. You have to sign a contract with the school to come over here, and all teachers had contracts from before they left the US. A few months in the contract changed and a new one had to be signed, changes including pension, which the school previously didn't have.

So the drama is finished, and there was never any issue with contracts being withheld. The CCTV footage, well that is true. There are video cameras (no audio) in every class so that the parents can have a coffee and watch the teachers and their kids if they want to. This might make you nervous, but it's only to ensure the safety of the kids, so in my opinion, it's entirely reasonable and has not once caused a problem, outside of one of the teachers getting in trouble for falling asleep in class...which should be obvious is a big no-no.

TNEnglish isn't perfect, and really no hagwon, school, or job ever is, but for what it's worth I'm enjoying my stay here, I think the work load is minimal (29 hours per week at the very worst), and the management tries its best to make the foreign teachers feel comfortable and at home. I'm even signing on for another year here, if that tells you anything.
degato

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is TN English in Gwangju these days? Read a blog in April of this year that stated the foreign teachers haven't been paid since January 2014. Have the problems been fixed or are there anymore incidents?
degato

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are offered a position at TN English in Gwangju, Seo-gu, South Korea, please consider ALL factors before you accept it. Since early 2014, there has been difficulty between the English Teachers and TN with getting paid on time (or, at all).
I have worked in Gwangju, South Korea for 4 years. Three in hagwons and one with EPIK. I've never had problems with payment or a company following a contract more than with this company. What it boiled down to was this, this company will ONLY follow the contract you sign if it benefits them (re: you have to give them 45 days notice for a release of contract, or you must work certain Saturdays even though the contract states that BOTH parties must be in agreement to work those days).
Also, know that payment per month is on the 15th. Unlike hagwons that I've worked with previously, they will not pay you on the 14th if the 15th falls on a Saturday, nor will they pay you in full. I've only worked here 4 months and each and every month I've had to keep asking where my money is and why I haven't been paid in full each month. I've been told at times, “We'll pay you half today and then half tomorrow.” I don't understand the reasoning in that as you either pay me in full one day OR, pay me in full the next.
Is the management good here? Hell no. Phillip will be your contact as of the end of November 2014. He will try and coerce you with his limited English and also cut you short when he was the one to ask you for your opinion as he had another random “awesome” thought of his. Basically, “shut up, I've got an idea” type of situation. Phillip is not even a talking head, in my opinion, he's a lame excuse of a Manager that didn't even want the position to begin with. No matter what Phillip will tell you, he will always, always, always pit English teachers against each other. Always saying, “Don't tell the other English teachers that I said this, but.....”
The owner's wife (Jessica) is a piss poor excuse of a principal, if you can call her a principal to begin with. From what I gathered while I was there, Jessica married into this situation when it was already headed down South. She basically treats each Teacher's meeting as “listen to me and make it work...even though I won't tell you when anything is due.” She throws ideas out onto the proverbial wall to see what sticks. Mind you, only one out of 1,000 stick. If that....
This company is poorly run and you will never, never, never get your full pension that you deserve. I even went to the Pension Office here in Gwangju last week to see if TN had paid in and I wasn't even on their records. I won't see the money they've pocketed. In fact, this is one of the emails I got from Phillip under the moniker TN School. “Dear xxxxxxxx,
TN school regret to inform you that we will not be able to give you cash instead for the pension which you have been deducted from your salary.
Under the Korean tax law and pension, we are obliged to pay for 4 different insurances all together, which can not be seperated at all. If we pay you the amount in cash again, we will still obliged to contribute the pension amount to the pension office regardless .
You will be able to claim back when you return to USA for sure, and there is no other choice for us, it can not be arranged at all.”
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: