Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gwangju-si in Gyeonggi-do

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
plato's republic

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:48 am    Post subject: Gwangju-si in Gyeonggi-do Reply with quote

Does anyone have any info on Gwangju-si in Gyeonggi-do? Does anyone currently live there?

I've searched around on the internet a little bit but there's very little information out there. The Galbijim page is virtually empty. What I do know is that it's roughly 20mins by bus from Bundang, and perhaps 35-40mins or so from Jamsil/Gangbyeon in Seoul.

Are there any big stores in town, i.e. Homeplus/Emart/Kim's Club/Lotte or Hyundai dept store etc..? Any decent bars/restaurants to speak of? Any kind of foreigner community at all?

I'd appreciate any information you could provide.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Gwangju-si in Gyeonggi-do Reply with quote

plato's republic wrote:
Does anyone have any info on Gwangju-si in Gyeonggi-do? Does anyone currently live there?

I've searched around on the internet a little bit but there's very little information out there. The Galbijim page is virtually empty. What I do know is that it's roughly 20mins by bus from Bundang, and perhaps 35-40mins or so from Jamsil/Gangbyeon in Seoul.

Are there any big stores in town, i.e. Homeplus/Emart/Kim's Club/Lotte or Hyundai dept store etc..? Any decent bars/restaurants to speak of? Any kind of foreigner community at all?

I'd appreciate any information you could provide.

There is a small foreigner community.
We always did our shopping in Bundang (yatap, ori, seohyun).

Depending on where you end up it could be an HOUR or so to Bundang (Seohyun station) or Ori/Miguim stations.

There are regular buses to Bundang and Seoul from all over Gwangju.

The Hanam/Gwangju education office is pretty decent when it comes to the FTs in the district (I worked there for several years).

karenology

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey there! I just moved to a satellite village in Gwangju-si a few months ago. There is indeed a foreigner community! I've only been to one gettogether but everyone is friendly. You should search on facebook and find the group "The Other Gwangju" and join it.

The biggest store is E-Mart, which is located next to the big bus terminal in town. I haven't been to any of the bars yet, and so far have only really tried one restaurant, Sorrento's, which is okay Italian food if a little overpriced for what you're getting.

Are you taking a job in Gwangju City? Or just in the area? What is considered the Gwangju-si area is pretty spread out, so it could take you up to an hour to get to where all the stuff is in the city.
Kimchifart

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:03 am    Post subject: Re: Gwangju-si in Gyeonggi-do Reply with quote

plato's republic wrote:
The Galbijim page is virtually empty.

Tells you all you need to know. ^
ticktocktocktick

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're in the main town centre near emart then it's fine, and a subway station connecting to Bundang is due to open next spring. There's also a sizeable number of SE Asian factory workers there, so the food choices are fairly cosmopolitan for Korea. Gwangju does cover quite a large area though, I don't think I'd want to be outside the central emart area.
cert43

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes..boring as hell if your not located in downtown gwanju
What school is it?
Like one poster said, there are alot of Pakinstins' that use the family mart as thier nightly hangout.
I think karenology lives in my old villiage town.
How are you finding it?
karenology

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far life's good! The town is pretty small, but there's a direct bus that goes to Seoul frequently, so for a place in the sticks it's really not that bad. My boyfriend just took a post in a much smaller village that doesn't even have a Family Mart, just brown rice fields and some trash fires, so in comparison my town seems awesome.
cert43

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool. Are you public school? or hagwon? ( If I remember correctly, there

are only 3 schools altogether).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: