Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'Korean Social Integration Course'
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 30, 31, 32  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coralreefer_1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zyzyfer wrote:
Thank you both for your responses.

spaceman82 wrote:
I'm curious how people found the instruction for the Korean classes. I've heard from friends that their classes were unhelpful and entirely in lecture format, and I'm sorry to say I had a similar experience in the Integration course. (The teacher might as well have read straight from the book.) I don't know if this is the style the program has dictated that teachers use, however, or if my friend and I just had bad luck.

I am curious as well, particularly if the classes are free. If the classroom instruction is terrible then I'll go elsewhere. Working towards the points visa would be nice, but my main initiative is simply a New Year's resolution, and I saw "free" and was like, "Wow!"

I personally found the instruction to be very good in regards to quality and professionalism, although I must admit I have done only one course so far. Note that I make the comparison against several teachers I had had in the past when enrolled in various (and rather expensive) university programs.
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coralreefer_1 wrote:
Zyzyfer wrote:
Thank you both for your responses.

spaceman82 wrote:
I'm curious how people found the instruction for the Korean classes. I've heard from friends that their classes were unhelpful and entirely in lecture format, and I'm sorry to say I had a similar experience in the Integration course. (The teacher might as well have read straight from the book.) I don't know if this is the style the program has dictated that teachers use, however, or if my friend and I just had bad luck.

I am curious as well, particularly if the classes are free. If the classroom instruction is terrible then I'll go elsewhere. Working towards the points visa would be nice, but my main initiative is simply a New Year's resolution, and I saw "free" and was like, "Wow!"

I personally found the instruction to be very good in regards to quality and professionalism, although I must admit I have done only one course so far. Note that I make the comparison against several teachers I had had in the past when enrolled in various (and rather expensive) university programs.

Thank you for the response!
alongway

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

31 pages..a bit much to search. A friend of mine is looking into taking this, but their English isn't that great, so they aren't comfortable coming here for help. I noticed on the page it mentions that 1st test and the results coming out tomorrow, but where is the information on the second test? I think someone said the 25th of this month, and where can one find a list of the testing locations?

Can a TOPIK score be substituted for the level test? Say if someone was TOPIK 4, could they just use that to jump ahead to the culture level only?
byrddogs

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alongway wrote:
Can a TOPIK score be substituted for the level test? Say if someone was TOPIK 4, could they just use that to jump ahead to the culture level only?

No, it is impossible to do what you are proposing, unless things have changed in the last 31 pages.
alongway

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

byrddogs wrote:
alongway wrote:

No, it is impossible to do what you are proposing, unless things have changed in the last 31 pages.

That's why I asked, so where can one find a list of the testing locations. or is that presented after you register?
byrddogs

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alongway wrote:
byrddogs wrote:
alongway wrote:

That's why I asked, so where can one find a list of the testing locations. or is that presented after you register?

Not sure about that....read back a few pages to see where that gets you. If it doesn't give an answer, perhaps you could pioneer the subject and update this thread with your findings.
FriendlyDaegu

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alongway wrote:

Doesn't quite work like that. You register on their site (socinet.go.kr) and you get assigned a time and location.
alongway

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FriendlyDaegu wrote:
alongway wrote:

Doesn't quite work like that. You register on their site (socinet.go.kr) and you get assigned a time and location.

Okay, its only when it comes to the classes itself that you're presented with choices about possible times?
FriendlyDaegu

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I've heard, yes, if you're lucky enough to have multiple locations in your area with a class at your level. I don't think you're allowed to attend a class outside your immigration office's area, though.
coralreefer_1

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you register for the site, it will ask your location. All of your "base" choices will be around that location.

However, you can register for other courses even if you do not live in that area, or other areas are closer to your location. I am in Daegu, and we have people coming to my class from Gumi as well as Pohang...even though (at least in the camse of Gumi) there were corses available in that city. It just happened that the times/dates of those courses wewre not suitable to those particular applicants....but yes..they were allowed to register for other courses as well.

In regards to your previous question...regardless of what a persons TOPIK score might be, everyone will have to take the placement exam at a minimum. If one were to score high enough on that to go straight to the culture program, (80 percent or better if im not mistaken) then yes...you could go. However, showing a TOPIK score (even level 6) will got get a person to that last culture level automatically. In short, they must prove their proficiency on the placement exam.
alongway

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is an issue, when they go to sign up for the program via:
사회통합프로그램 신청 and fill in all their information, after clicking apply, they just get a pop-up that says "Social integration program unvailable"

how is anyone supposed to register for this?
Daniel1981

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think when I remember that happening, when I started 1.5 years ago, that message comes when you try to sign up outside of the sign up period. I think she may need to wait until they start taking new signups again. Try to find dates on the website for when the different signup periods are. You can also try calling immigration for help. They have support in all kinds of languages.
alongway

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daniel1981 wrote:
I think when I remember that happening, when I started 1.5 years ago, that message comes when you try to sign up outside of the sign up period. I think she may need to wait until they start taking new signups again. Try to find dates on the website for when the different signup periods are. You can also try calling immigration for help. They have support in all kinds of languages.

Hmm I just find notices about the first one there, and don't see an obvious schedule. someone mentioned the 25th of this month, only 3 weeks away, it seems strange they'd be having it without registration open already or even making a notice.
furtakk

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea for whatever reason, you can't even make an account outside of the signup period.
kingssurfer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:32 am    Post subject: KIIP immigration office change Reply with quote

Does anyone have experience changing immigration office locations in the middle of the KIIP classes? I will be moving to a new location in March.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 30, 31, 32  Next
Page 31 of 32

Jump to: