Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Have you had LASEK eye surgery?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sallymonster

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: sallymonster Reply with quote

blakely wrote:
hey sally i really need to have it done over a weekend.....can i grin and bare it for the day on monday? you said you did it...besides not seeing your students and the eye drops...was there pain? I work at a laid back hagwon so...my job isn't too stressing ...2-6 students/class.

I was only able to "grin and bear it" because I got the surgery during finals week and when I started teaching again it was after finals, so I just played "Merry Christmas Mr Bean" for the students.
blackjack

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: sallymonster Reply with quote

sallymonster wrote:
blakely wrote:
hey sally i really need to have it done over a weekend.....can i grin and bare it for the day on monday? you said you did it...besides not seeing your students and the eye drops...was there pain? I work at a laid back hagwon so...my job isn't too stressing ...2-6 students/class.

I was only able to "grin and bear it" because I got the surgery during finals week and when I started teaching again it was after finals, so I just played "Merry Christmas Mr Bean" for the students.

For me it wasn't pain as such just uncomfortableness, and extreme sensitivity to light. So provided you can wear some dark sunglasses in class and/or close the curtains, and have all your lesson plans prepared for that week you should be fine.

My kids were really supportive, a few had mums or dads that had had it done. In some of the higher level classes they took charge and ran the class, it was actually pretty cool (I teach without a co-teacher).

Good luck
freeridden

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:31 pm    Post subject: ased Reply with quote

I receive emails from them that say 'Hello Lasik', but I think their real name is 드림성모안과. They were near exit 7 in Gangnam, but I remember my doctor telling me that they were going to move their offices to another exit in Gangnam.

I had -10 in both eyes with astigmatism, but my corneas were thick enough to do the surgery. They took care of my eyes really well post-op. They speak English well. There's a guy there (not one of the two head doctors that do the surgery) that speaks English well that will take you through the steps to determine if you can do the surgery or not. He's a great guy. I can't remember his name. He's the one guy there that speaks English really well. One of the two main doctors also speaks English quite well. He's also nice.

If I were you, do NOT do LASEK over the weekend and go back to work on Monday. I did the surgery on a Friday and stayed at home the entire weekend and downed about 10 2L bottles of water, stayed in the dark, ate nothing but vitamins and fruit, and listened to audiobooks. I suggest not staring at a computer screen either. Your eyes will need as much rest as possible. It was a bit rough to say the least. Give yourself at least 4 days of freedom to rest. To clarify: I did LASEK and NOT LASIK. LASEK takes much longer to heal.
Sireno

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had lasek done 2 weeks ago. i think the main message is regarding recovery time is that your mileage will vary, as in, it's different for everyone. it's not an exact science and how the body works isn't the same for everyone. i didn't have much pain, was out and about the Sunday after. vision sucks for a few days and tearing is normal. i would refer to it as discomfort rather than pain which is to be expected.

i did the surgery Friday and work on Monday. i wasn't really functional on Monday however Tuesday/Wednesday were better. i'm still waiting for a good recovery to see well... it should be another 1-2 weeks.
wiganer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blakely wrote:
i have a masters, so after 7 years of school i've got the research skills a bit more advanced and tuned up than yours.

Have you now? Your research skills are so brilliant you failed to unearth a big 15 page post on the very same subject you are talking about?

What brilliant school did you go to who taught you not to capitalize your 'I's" Razz
Globutron

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, well I know for a fact there are risks. There are lots of cases where they've gone wrong, to the point that there is actually an organisation created by a man for people that had the surgery and made their sight worse or even none existent, to help them get through difficult times.

Something about your cornea. If it's too thin you can scrape too much away.

There was never any guarantee that everybody will get perfect vision. My dad, for example, can't read books without pushing them quite a distance from his face to focus.

Double and Triple vision is also something that can happen, and if it does, it can be for the rest of your life. Something glasses can't fix.

I'm 23 and I want it, but I'm going to wait until I'm about 35. That way I won't have fecked up my vision when I'm still learning to appreciate the world.
wiganer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Globutron wrote:
Hmm, well I know for a fact there are risks. There are lots of cases where they've gone wrong, to the point that there is actually an organisation created by a man for people that had the surgery and made their sight worse or even none existent, to help them get through difficult times.

There was never any guarantee that everybody will get perfect vision. My dad, for example, can't read books without pushing them quite a distance from his face to focus.

Double and Triple vision is also something that can happen, and if it does, it can be for the rest of your life. Something glasses can't fix.

I'm 23 and I want it, but I'm going to wait until I'm about 35. That way I won't have fecked up my vision when I'm still learning to appreciate the world.

There is a risk to everything.

My old man had his corneas replaced and now has long sight (something your old man has) but he rather have long sight than wear glasses.

I had the LASEK operation at Dream Eye Clinic in Gangnam two years ago now.

I paid 1.7 million won and now have perfect eyesight - I can see everything. Was worth the money and the so-called risks.

I did have three hours of tests where the nurse told me they don't operate on corneas that are too thin (mostly caused by too much contact lens use). They do in Europe and the states however.

If I was a young feller like you. No way would I wear glasses/contact lenses for another 12 or so years because of some so-called risk.

Grab your balls in your hand and go and git it done! You can easily afford it. I bet you have the money on you now!
Globutron

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wiganer wrote:
Globutron wrote:

There is a risk to everything.

My old man had his corneas replaced and now has long sight (something your old man has) but he rather have long sight than wear glasses.

I had the LASEK operation at Dream Eye Clinic in Gangnam two years ago now.

I paid 1.7 million won and now have perfect eyesight - I can see everything. Was worth the money and the so-called risks.

I did have three hours of tests where the nurse told me they don't operate on corneas that are too thin (mostly caused by too much contact lens use). They do in Europe and the states however.

If I was a young feller like you. No way would I wear glasses/contact lenses for another 12 or so years because of some so-called risk.

Grab your balls in your hand and go and git it done! You can easily afford it. I bet you have the money on you now!

I do but I'm also incredibly thrifty and anything over 1,000 won is considered a rip-off by my standards, and I go without eating for a week if I have to pay over said amount. Maybe I'll wait until my sight is actually bad. Right now it's just 'getting worse' noticeably. I can still see wonderfully. I just hate deteriorating.
spicy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just got back from a consult at St. Mary's (I think it's called) in Gangnam (Exit 6, 7th floor of the building right next to the exit). Was there for about 2 hours doing various eye tests and stuff. Most of the staff spoke to me in Korean, but I think that mostly had to do with me starting off speaking Korean to them. After the tests, both of the doctors I spoke with would explain first in simple Korean, and then once more in English if I looked confused.

The doc said I seemed like a good candidate for M-LASEK and that my eyes were quite good (I'm only -1.75/-2.00 with only a minor astigmatism in my left eye). 2-3% chance of regression after the surgery, and 3-6% chance of dry eyes for 3-6mo after the surgery, but from what I've heard/researched, those numbers are about standard. He also mentioned about the blurriness/star-shaped flares from lights, but that that would subside 3-6mo after the surgery as well, and that if there were any problems, they would re-assess things and do a "tune-up," which is sometimes necessary as peoples' eyes heal in different ways.

I've got a week off from class for Xmas, and one of my classmates said he'd come help me after the surgery.

I'll try and remember to update this thread with my results when my eyes can deal with computer screens again.

Price also seems exceptionally reasonable. My friend got it done there for 1.7mil, and because I'm a referral, they dropped it down to 1.2 (when they told me the price, I tried really hard to keep a poker-face because that seems dirt cheap compared to the normal price).
Slowmotion

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking about getting Lasek done next week. I saw that Dream charges 2 million won + 10% discount for "foreigner people"

Then there's another place called 강남밝은세상 안과 that one of my coteachers recommended. He said with a referral it's 1.1 million for M Lasek and 1.3 for Clean Lasek (not sure of the difference).
EDIT: Found the website http://english.bseye.com/

Anyone know if there's further discounts available for Dream with a referral? If not I think i'm gonna cancel with them.
Slowmotion

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canceled with dream even though they have some English speakers there. Don't feel like paying 300-500k more just for that.
West Coast Tatterdemalion

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just curious here, but do they do it one eye at a time? I think I heard somewhere that they do it that way in case they botch things up(so that you will not be totally blind). I don't know, I would just be paranoid of having both eyes done at the same time and being botched and being blind. Imagine that nightmare...
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slowmotion wrote:
Thinking about getting Lasek done next week. I saw that Dream charges 2 million won + 10% discount for "foreigner people"

Then there's another place called 강남밝은세상 안과 that one of my coteachers recommended. He said with a referral it's 1.1 million for M Lasek and 1.3 for Clean Lasek (not sure of the difference).
EDIT: Found the website http://english.bseye.com/

Anyone know if there's further discounts available for Dream with a referral? If not I think i'm gonna cancel with them.

I paid 1.8 and was very happy with it at Dream. When it comes to your eyes, I wouldn't go with the cheapest option. I'ts surgery, you don't want to skimp. If you DO go to Dream, I'd be happy to give you my name and you could use me for a referral. Maybe that would give you a discount.

West Coast Tatterdemalion wrote:
Just curious here, but do they do it one eye at a time? I think I heard somewhere that they do it that way in case they botch things up(so that you will not be totally blind). I don't know, I would just be paranoid of having both eyes done at the same time and being botched and being blind. Imagine that nightmare...

They might. BUt I had mine done at the same time. Lasik has been around for a while now.
Yaya

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've said this often but I'll say it again: notice how the doctors doing the procedure are STILL wearing glasses?
Slowmotion

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

naturegirl321 wrote:

I paid 1.8 and was very happy with it at Dream. When it comes to your eyes, I wouldn't go with the cheapest option. I'ts surgery, you don't want to skimp. If you DO go to Dream, I'd be happy to give you my name and you could use me for a referral. Maybe that would give you a discount.

Well it's a bit more, but the referral gave a pretty decent discount. I'm getting the M lasek for 1.3 on Monday.

There's quite a few doctors there that speak great English, but the other staff wasn't so great (front desk people).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: