Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Have you had LASEK eye surgery?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slowmotion wrote:
naturegirl321 wrote:

I paid 1.8 and was very happy with it at Dream. When it comes to your eyes, I wouldn't go with the cheapest option. I'ts surgery, you don't want to skimp. If you DO go to Dream, I'd be happy to give you my name and you could use me for a referral. Maybe that would give you a discount.

Well it's a bit more, but the referral gave a pretty decent discount. I'm getting the M lasek for 1.3 on Monday.

There's quite a few doctors there that speak great English, but the other staff wasn't so great (front desk people).

My doctors spoke Ok ish English, but there wasn't really much to tell them. Best of luck with the lasek. be prepared for things to be blurry for a while. Ask about post op checks. I had to go once a month for six months, a pain, but necessary I suppose.

What discount would they have given you at Dream for being a foreigner AND having a referral?
Caffeinated

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

naturegirl321 wrote:
What discount would they have given you at Dream for being a foreigner AND having a referral?

I'm interested in this answer as well since laser eye surgery is on my to do list.
Slowmotion

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if there is a referral discount from Dream. I scheduled an appointment online and someone who spoke good English called me back. However after finding the other hospital, I called them back to cancel the appointment. I probably should have asked.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the new place that you're going to highly recommended? You said it's 500,000 cheaper, but really, is price the thing you want to compare when surgery is involved?
kissdisap

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife got her surgery done at Dream Eye Center in Gangnam as well. I believe there was both a 'foreigner discount' and a 'referral discount' which brought the total price down to ~1.8M.

I think we just told them we'd heard/read about them here on ESLcafe and that was sufficient for the discount. Really great service and my wife liked the staff so much she bought presents for them from our recent trip abroad.
Smudger

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slowmotion, how did the surgery at BS eye center go? I'm hunting around and most recommendations seem to be for Seoul Dream Eye.
bobbybigfoot

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread is of interest to me. I'm one of the pioneers. Got eye surgery in 1998. First surgery left me needing glasses. And ridiculous pain til the meds kicked in. Second surgery left me glasses-free, to this day, 13 years later.

But my eyes are starting to regress again, slowly, over the years.

Further, I've had to live with the "halo" effect for all these years. You get used to it though. But it's still better than having glasses.

I also paid $4000 back in Canada. 2 million won is a steal.

Also, the advanced technology should be able to fix my halos. As I have large pupils, my pupils, when fully dilated, are outside of the treated area. I believe the maximum portion of the eye that couldn't be treated then was 6.5 mm. Probably up 8 mm now.

I might just check out Dream Eye Center...
Slowmotion

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

naturegirl321 wrote:
Is the new place that you're going to highly recommended? You said it's 500,000 cheaper, but really, is price the thing you want to compare when surgery is involved?

I can't remember the exact claim, but the founders of BS dream eye center have been doing LASIK and other eye surgeries the longest in Korea. I'll have to find the pamphlet to tell you exactly.

Smudger wrote:
Slowmotion, how did the surgery at BS eye center go? I'm hunting around and most recommendations seem to be for Seoul Dream Eye.

Surgery went well. It wasn't painful during the surgery. The experience varies from person to person and how much they have to cut (I believe the worse your vision is the more they have to cut).

I had something like a 20/50 vision and they didn't have to cut that much claiming my vision wasn't that bad (hard to believe people are much worse than me lol)

Anyway my first day was probably the most uncomfortable. Not much pain, just discomfort and hard to look at lights, even my cell phone on the lowest brightness setting. By the third day I was feeling a lot better.

I suggest getting someone to take care of you the first few days if possible Laughing

Oh I forgot to tell you, there are at least 3-4 doctors that speak either English fluently or very very well. I don't know who the others are, but I did talk to two of them:
-Dr. Ryu Ik Hee
-Dr. Kang Sung Yong (completely fluent and lived in the states)

Dr. Kang is the one who did my surgery. It was nice getting to talk to a doctor that could speak English since most of the hospitals I went to they tell me everything in Korean. My Korean is decent, but i'm not great with medical terms. The rest of the staff is not great at English however, they asked if I could speak Korean then just mostly used Korean (except during the eye exam where one person spoke decent English and was helpful).

If you need anything in more detail, let me know or pm me

Quote:

Also, the advanced technology should be able to fix my halos. As I have large pupils, my pupils, when fully dilated, are outside of the treated area. I believe the maximum portion of the eye that couldn't be treated then was 6.5 mm. Probably up 8 mm now.

I have big pupils too and no halo effect for me. I got "M Lasek"
shininxpinay

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the price of lasik at dream eye is normally 2.2mil krw. i made an appointment last month for a consultation and they cut the pricef 20% for being a foreigner, another $100 for the friend referral (he found the place via website and didn't even get surgery at the place), and then another $100 off for paying via bank transfer. the total was 1.8krw. i believe u can get another hundred more knocked off if you can get a friend/spouse to do the operation.

the doctors at dream eye speak english well. it isn't grammatically perfect, but they're able to answer your questions with pretty good details. i am extremely detail oriented and a big worry wart, so i had a lot of questions in the office and then when i called them days before the surgery. every patient is paired with their own optometrist for consultation, and mine (MoonJu) was very patient and answered all my questions. they're very responsible and make an effort to always call you back if they can't get to the phone when you call

During the operation, the doctor will tell u exactly what he's doing so you know what's going on. My doctor (Dr. Hu) got the surgery done himself by the director, and he himself has performed 1000s of surgeries. i was -4.25 and -5.00 when i got into the operating room and basically walked out with perfect vision (minus the blurriness from the dilation).

i got my lasik done about 2 weeks ago. right now, my right eye is perfect, left eye is almost perfect with 20/25 vision. 1st week after surgery was a bit uncomfortable with the dry eyes, but a week later, the glare and dryness started to go away. dream eye is more pricey than other clinics, but if you're a worry wart like me and need details for every little thing, invest in them.
sirius black

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got mine done a while back in the states. One of the best decisions I ever made. I would imagine the procedure is more perfected now (even though I was thoroughly happy with mine). If you have any reservations about having it done in Korea simply wait till you get back home for vacation. I would have no reservation having it done in Korea as they do many here. Same would be in Thailand or India where its a very common procedure as well.
suemin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:22 pm    Post subject: I had it 13 years ago in Seoul. Reply with quote

I used to wear heavy glasses. I had it 13 years ago in Seoul. Happy!!
I still have a fairly good eyesight.
My sister who had this surgery have a blurry sight at night. But I don't. Even though we had it done by same doctor.
For me, it was 13 years ago, I can't go back to normal life at least a week.

Last edited by suemin on Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:09 am; edited 1 time in total
SMOE NSET

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone is in the Bundang area, I had mine done in Miguem at Yonsei Plus.

It was 1.5million but with a referral you can get it down to 1.4m. I can give you one.

One doctor speaks fluent English, who does the surgery. He went to Harvard medical school for a LASEK course, not sure if he received his medical degree there though.

After a year and a half, my sight is still above 20/20. The nurses at my recent medical check were surprised by my vision. There are many foreigners that have gone there and have nothing but positive reviews. I know many Koreans that have gone there as well with all positive reviews.
spaceman82

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone have any experience with getting PRK done here in Korea? I've been told that LASIK/LASEK might not be ideal for me because of my involvement in contact sports but don't know if PRK is something that many clinics offer or excel at...

Last edited by spaceman82 on Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
geldedgoat

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I paid $4k for mine back in the states, but that comes with a lifetime warranty that I'll need to use next time I go back home. So for me, sitting at two operations, I'm already breaking even. If I ever need a third in the future, I'll have saved money.

I know a lot of people have had success with getting the operation done here in Korea, but I just didn't feel comfortable having a procedure that serious done by someone who can't explain the process and the aftercare instructions in my native tongue.
Slowmotion

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spaceman82 wrote:
Does anyone have any experience with getting PRK done here in Korea? I've been told that LASIK/LASEK might not be ideal for me because of my involvement in contact sports but don't know if PRK is something that many clinics offer or excel at...

What kind of contact sports exactly?

Lasik is unsafe for contact sports, but I heard Lasek is fine.

geldedgoat wrote:
I paid $4k for mine back in the states, but that comes with a lifetime warranty that I'll need to use next time I go back home. So for me, sitting at two operations, I'm already breaking even. If I ever need a third in the future, I'll have saved money.

I know a lot of people have had success with getting the operation done here in Korea, but I just didn't feel comfortable having a procedure that serious done by someone who can't explain the process and the aftercare instructions in my native tongue.

Not really anything to brag about, especially the fact you had to get it done twice already. Not good at all.

And there are plenty of fluent doctors in Korea, including the doctor who did my surgery.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: