Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Have you had LASEK eye surgery?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spaceman82

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slowmotion wrote:
spaceman82 wrote:
Does anyone have any experience with getting PRK done here in Korea? I've been told that LASIK/LASEK might not be ideal for me because of my involvement in contact sports but don't know if PRK is something that many clinics offer or excel at...

What kind of contact sports exactly?

Lasik is unsafe for contact sports, but I heard Lasek is fine.

Grappling and MMA. I could be wrong about LASEK but have just heard that the procedures where they create a flap in the lens (?) of your eye can be problematic.
geldedgoat

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slowmotion wrote:
Not really anything to brag about, especially the fact you had to get it done twice already. Not good at all.

I wasn't bragging; I was just throwing out another option.

The deterioration has absolutely nothing to do with the surgery or the surgeon. It happens to everyone's vision eventually, even those that have undergone LASIK/LASEK (and touch-ups aren't uncommon). Mine was likely accelerated due to a dramatic increase in deskwarming over the past two years.
Smudger

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just had consultations with BS Eye and Dream. The surgeon at Dream found my left retina was ever so slightly detached Shocked ..the surgeon at BS Eye didn't..'BS' Eye indeed. Dream it is.
The opthamologist at Dream also said over 90% of their surgeries are Lasek now because it's safer with less complications. BS Eye suggested Lasik and the consultant was mildly pushy in trying to get me to commit to the procedure this month. Like he was selling me a car and not eye surgery.

Any other lasek recipients care to weigh in on their results and experience before I officially take the plunge (after I get that old retina reattached of course).
BigBuds

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife is thinking of having it done. Luckily, I have naturally perfect eye sight.

How much did it cost you guys and can anyone recommend somewhere in Kyoungsangnamdo (Changwon) that does it?
Smudger

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigBuds wrote:
How much did it cost you guys

From what I've come across the standard range seems to be 1.3 - 1.8 for both eyes. Most are closer to the higher end of that range and have a foreigner and/or referral discount included in that. Anything lower you're going to be wondering about their procedures,experience,expertise, guarantees, equipment etc...Not that you wouldn't ask those questions of any place.
Slowmotion

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More expensive does not mean better, well unless you're Korean.
spiraldance

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had LASEK eye surgery done in December 2009 at EyeMedi Vision Center in Gangnam for 1.8 with the foreigner discount. I was very pleased overall, and having it done over the holidays was good timing with no classes. The staff there were great, spoke excellent English, and even paid for my taxi after the surgery and gave me a Starbuck's giftcard!

The surgery itself was easy, several days of intense discomfort and obscured vision afterwards, and then blurred vision for awhile. Now everything is perfect. I had a car accident in the fall, so I was glad I didn't have the LASIK procedure or had to deal with glasses/contacts/not seeing! Definitely worth giving up part of one winter vacation!
smalls23

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:00 pm    Post subject: LASEK at BS Eye Center Reply with quote

I had a consultation this morning at BS Eye Center in Gangnam and I think it went well. Took 2.5 hours and they did quite a few tests.

It did feel a bit like an assembly line because they were very busy, but it was still very comfortable, personal, and professional. They answered all of my questions and they recommended LASEK. With a referral from a co-worker (400,000 won discount) and getting the surgery in the spring vs. summer (100,000 won discount), the cost will be 2.1. Almost sounds too good to be true. I have horrible vision; about -7 in both eyes and I'm really anxious for this procedure.

Has anyone else had surgery at BS Eye Center? If so, how did it go? It would be nice to get some more opinions about BS Eye Center before I take the plunge.

Thanks!

I'll report how it goes after the surgery.

*Typo edit - the cost was 1.2M won.*

Last edited by smalls23 on Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Slowmotion

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:13 am    Post subject: Re: LASEK at BS Eye Center Reply with quote

smalls23 wrote:
I had a consultation this morning at BS Eye Center in Gangnam and I think it went well. Took 2.5 hours and they did quite a few tests.

It did feel a bit like an assembly line because they were very busy, but it was still very comfortable, personal, and professional. They answered all of my questions and they recommended LASIK. With a referral from a co-worker (400,000 won discount) and getting the surgery in the spring vs. summer (100,000 won discount), the cost will be 2.1. Almost sounds too good to be true. I have horrible vision; about -7 in both eyes and I'm really anxious for this procedure.

Has anyone else had surgery at BS Eye Center? If so, how did it go? It would be nice to get some more opinions about BS Eye Center before I take the plunge.

Thanks!

2.1? Doesn't sound right. Sounds too expensive. I got Lasek done there and paid about 1.1
smalls23

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:18 am    Post subject: Re: LASEK at BS Eye Center Reply with quote

Slowmotion wrote:
smalls23 wrote:

It did feel a bit like an assembly line because they were very busy, but it was still very comfortable, personal, and professional. They answered all of my questions and they recommended LASIK. With a referral from a co-worker (400,000 won discount) and getting the surgery in the spring vs. summer (100,000 won discount), the cost will be 2.1. Almost sounds too good to be true. I have horrible vision; about -7 in both eyes and I'm really anxious for this procedure.

Thanks!

2.1? Doesn't sound right. Sounds too expensive. I got Lasek done there and paid about 1.1

Ah! Thanks for catching that. I should be tested for dyslexia.

I meant 1.2, not 2.1.

Last edited by smalls23 on Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:20 am; edited 1 time in total
smalls23

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:19 am    Post subject: Re: LASEK at BS Eye Center Reply with quote

smalls23 wrote:
Slowmotion wrote:
smalls23 wrote:

Thanks!

By the way, when did you have the surgery and how did it go? Did you have Lasik or Lasek?

Ah! Thanks for catching that. I should be tested for dyslexia.

I meant 1.2, not 2.1.
blakely

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey here's a question for all the people who have had it done:

I had LASEK done about 2 and a half months ago and it was great. However, now I'm noticing in my right eye just this little grey floater that I can only really see in sunlight or if i'm looking at a white cpu screen or something. It's kinda annoying and i'm just wondering if you experienced any floaters like that long after you had the surgery?

Also - did you notice in the first 6 months one of your eyes get weaker? I've noticed this in my right eye as well that it is quite a bit weaker than my left eye which appears perfect. Kinda annoying since i notice it now and then and probably gives me a few headaches because of the uneven vision like i had in the first few weeks post-operation.

Anyways would apppreciate it if you could shed some light on your personal experience healing up after LASEK. Cheers Smile thanks for your time

p.s. i'm abroad right now so i can't go back to korea and ask the doctors unfortunately. If no one has experienced this i'm going to have to get my eyes checked at a clinic here.
blakely

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey here's a question for all the people who have had it done:

I had LASEK done about 2 and a half months ago and it was great. However, now I'm noticing in my right eye just this little grey floater that I can only really see in sunlight or if i'm looking at a white cpu screen or something. It's kinda annoying and i'm just wondering if you experienced any floaters like that long after you had the surgery?

Also - did you notice in the first 6 months one of your eyes get weaker? I've noticed this in my right eye as well that it is quite a bit weaker than my left eye which appears perfect. Kinda annoying since i notice it now and then and probably gives me a few headaches because of the uneven vision like i had in the first few weeks post-operation.

Anyways would apppreciate it if you could shed some light on your personal experience healing up after LASEK. Cheers Smile thanks for your time

p.s. i'm abroad right now so i can't go back to korea and ask the doctors unfortunately. If no one has experienced this i'm going to have to get my eyes checked at a clinic here.
alljokingaside

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,

any recommendations for Busan clinics? The only one I'm really aware is St. Marys.
f22rahman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are there any lasek clinics in Suncheon or at least within Jeollanam-do?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: