Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

THE CONTRACT REVIEW THREAD: Post yours here for a review
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 139, 140, 141 ... 149, 150, 151  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
le-paul

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:51 pm    Post subject: please tll me what your opinion is of this - thanks Reply with quote

CONTRACT FOR XXXX
This employment contract is made by and entered into between XXXX, the Owner and Director of XXXX, the Republic of Korea, (hereinafter called the "Employer") and the native English speaker (XXXXl ) (hereinafter called the "Employee"), an citizen residing at XXXX

Article 1 (Purpose) This contract is made for the purpose of setting forth the terms and conditions of employment for English speakers who are employed at Avalon English.

Article 2 (Duties) The Employee shall perform the following duties.
1. To conduct English classes at xxxx English.
2. To prepare teaching materials for English classes.
3. To assist with activities related to language education.
4. To perform other duties as designated by the Employer.

Article 3 (Term of Employment)
The Term of Employment shall commence on and end on

Article 4 (Resignation)
Employee shall perform the duties set forth under Article 2. However, if the Employee should desire to resign from xxxx English and thereby terminate this contract, he/she must give the Employer a thirty (30) day written notice of resignation stating a date of/and reason for the resignation.
In the case of the Employee's resignation, the employee shall reimburse xxxx English for the Employees airfare to Korea and his/her visa shall be cancelled.

Article 5 (Work Place)
The Employee shall work at xxxx English or at any other educational institute designated by the Employer.

Article 6 (Working Hours)
The employee shall work five (5) days a week Monday to Friday and shall not work on Saturday or Sunday and national holidays of the Republic of Korea.
Class instruction shall not exceed 30 teaching hours a week.
The Employer may require the employee to work overtime in addition to normal work days and work hours. In this case overtime pay will be provided.

Article 7 (Salary)
The Employee shall be paid xxxx Korean Won per month.
However, Korean income tax and the national pension contribution will be withheld as required under Korean Law each month from the Employee's salary.
The Employee's salary shall be paid the end of each month. If this day falls on a national holiday, or on the weekend, the salary will be paid on the preceding business day.
When the Employee has not worked a full month, salary for that month shall be paid on a pro rata basis either from the first day or until the last day of work.
The Employee shall not claim, against Employer, any compensation and/or payment other than those provided for in this contract.

Article 8 (Renewal)
The Term of Employment in Article 3 may be renewed by the mutual written agreement between the Employer and the Employee, provided the renewal does not exceed one(1) year.

Article 9 (Housing)
The Employer will provide the Employee with housing selected by the Employer. Any and all fees, charges, costs, taxes, expenses, etc. incurred in using the housing shall be borne by the Employee.
The Employer will provide appliances and furniture. The Employee may not demand any other furniture or appliances other than those provided by the Employer.

Article 10 (Benefits)
The Employer shall pay half of the Employees medical insurance pursuant to the National Medical Insurance Act. Upon completion of the contract the Employer shall pay the Employee severance pay totaling one months salary.

Article 11 (Vacation)
The Employee shall be entitled to all Korean National holiday and English Time Academy holidays.

Article 12 (Code of Conduct)
The Employee shall not behave in any manner which may damage or tarnish the reputation of the school. The Employee may not engage in any other job during the Term of Employment. The Employee may not be involved in an activity which my cause harm to the students or be of detriment to the reputation of the school.

Article 13 (Termination of the Contract)
If the Employee violates the laws of the Republic of Korea or fails to perform his/her duties stipulated in this contract the Employer may terminate or cancel this contract and the employee will reimburse xxxx English for the airfare to Korea and his/her visa shall be cancelled.

Article 14 (Indemnity)
Employee shall indemnify for and keep Employer harmless from any liability or damages arising from or in relation to any negligent, intentional or illegal activity of Employee during the Term of Employment under this contract.

Article 15 (Governing Law, Language and Venue)
The terms of this contract and the rights and obligation of the parties hereto shall be construed, interpreted and determined in accordance with the laws of the Republic of Korea.
The governing language of the contract shall be Korean. The English translation is made for the purpose of convenience.
If a dispute or disagreement should arise in connection with or out of this contract, the parties hereto shall first try to resolve it in accordance with a principle of good faith. However, if the parties fail to mutually resolve such disputes or disagreements or come to amicable settlements, their disputes or disagreements shall be finally resolved by arbitration in Seoul, Korea in accordance with the Commercial Arbitration Rules of the Korean commercial Arbitration Board.

Article 16 (Signature)
In witness whereof, the parties hereto sign the Contract in triplicate on the date entered below with each party retaining one copy and submitting the third copy for Employee's visa application.

Dated: 2014

(Employer's signature) (Employee's signature)

Name: Name:

Position:

Social Insurance Number:

Address:

Things I've noticed...

Nothing about specific working hours
Nothing about a return airfare being paid
my pay is two thousand plus per month
nothing about how many days vacation i get
nothing about my duties- only that I have them (I could be cleaning a toilet)
Nothing about pension
Nothing about a specific pay day - the end of the month is vague
Doesnt state how much is paid for overtime - it could be the same as monthly pay

anything I missed?

Thank you
Blanca

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's also nothing mentioned about health insurance.

Raise all the points you made with the recruiter and make sure they are put into a new draft of the contract. If the school refuse to put them put in, find another job.
le-paul

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blanca wrote:
There's also nothing mentioned about health insurance.

Raise all the points you made with the recruiter and make sure they are put into a new draft of the contract. If the school refuse to put them put in, find another job.

Well spotted. Thank you.
DosEquisXX

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: please tll me what your opinion is of this - thanks Reply with quote

Things I have noticed (haven't read your list yet).

Quote:
le-paul wrote:

Quote:
Article 2 (Duties) The Employee shall perform the following duties.
4. To perform other duties as designated by the Employer.

It's so unprofessional to include such vague language in the contract. Get that specified.

Quote:
Article 5 (Work Place)
The Employee shall work at xxxx English or at any other educational institute designated by the Employer.

They should specify which place(s) you'll work at. Without that, they have a blank check to send you anywhere they want.

Quote:
Quote:
Article 6 (Working Hours)
Class instruction shall not exceed 30 teaching hours a week.

The Employer may require the employee to work overtime in addition to normal work days and work hours. In this case overtime pay will be provided.

These are contradictory clauses. You won't exceed 30 teaching hours, but you may work overtime? Which is it? Also, get what constitutes a teaching hour put in the contract. There's a big difference between teaching 1800 minutes per week and 1350 minutes per week.

Also what exactly are your hours?

Quote:
Article 7 (Salary)
However, Korean income tax and the national pension contribution will be withheld as required under Korean Law each month from the Employee's salary.

Specify the tax/pension percentages. They don't even mention that they have to pay into your pension plan.

Quote:
Article 9 (Housing)
The Employer will provide the Employee with housing selected by the Employer. Any and all fees, charges, costs, taxes, expenses, etc. incurred in using the housing shall be borne by the Employee.

The Employer will provide appliances and furniture. The Employee may not demand any other furniture or appliances other than those provided by the Employer.

Specify appliances and furniture you receive in the contract. Get it in writing if it is single or shared housing.

Quote:
Article 10 (Benefits)
The Employer shall pay half of the Employees medical insurance pursuant to the National Medical Insurance Act.

Should be NHIC. Not some private healthcare.

Quote:
Article 11 (Vacation)
The Employee shall be entitled to all Korean National holiday and English Time Academy holidays.

No vacation days? What are "English Time Academy Holidays"?

Things I've noticed...

Nothing about specific working hours
Nothing about a return airfare being paid
my pay is two thousand plus per month
nothing about how many days vacation i get
nothing about my duties- only that I have them (I could be cleaning a toilet)
Nothing about pension
Nothing about a specific pay day - the end of the month is vague
Doesnt state how much is paid for overtime - it could be the same as monthly pay

anything I missed?

Thank you

Pretty much an immediate rejection. Another contract so bad that it should be burned. I wouldn't even try to talk to this owner.
le-paul

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you
ceb614

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I interviewed with this school and spoke with the other foreign teacher and was feeling pretty good about everything. Then they sent me this contract which has some pretty glaring issues (no pension, no govt. health, 5% tax). I sent them an email back basically saying "Haha yeah right, I'm not dumb". They responded with the following counter-offer:

So there are two options that the director has presented:

1) You can receive 2,250,000 won a month but taxes will stay at 5%
OR
2) You can receive pension if you take a pay deduction of 200,000 won per month and tax will stay at 5%

In both options he is willing to pay half for insurance (it usually adds up to 250,000 won so he will pay 125,000 won for insurance)

Let me know if either of these options appeal to you.

Is it worth it to even consider? Or should their original shadiness alone completely rule them out? Also, is there any other problems with the original contract that I should be aware of (no AC is the other one I see)?

Thanks for your help guys!!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EMPLOYMENT CONTRACT

This contract is made and entered on of , 2014 by and between-- located in ---, Korea (hereinafter called the “Employer") and as an English Teacher (hereinafter called the "Employee". Both parties agree as follows.

1. Employment of Employee
The Employer would like to hire the Employee as an English teacher. The employee agrees to work for the Employer as an English teacher in --- City, Korea.

2. Period of Employment

The period of this contract is one year beginning from the date of the employee's first working day at the institute, in Korea.
The employee’s official starting day will begin on _____________ and the last day will be ______________ (one full calendar year).The contract will be ineffective starting ________________
unless there are other arrangements made by the Employer and the Employee.

3. Conditions of Employment
The employee's job description shall consist primarily of the followings.
A. EFL instructor in any and all phrases of the Employer's program in classes that range from the preschool age to junior high school level.
B. Curriculum design and implementation
C. Development of educational program and materials
D. Field activities for and or with students
E. Grading and evaluation of students
F. Student counseling or evaluation
G. Attendance at teachers meetings and workshops
H. Other related activities
I. Proofreading school documents
The Employer owns the rights to all teaching materials produced by the Employee.
Either the Employer or the Supervisor appointed by the Employer, has the right to observe all teaching and teaching material used by the Employee.

4. Work Schedule
The number of teaching hours will be 30 hours per week. Time spent outside of class is not considered part of the 30 teaching hours. (This includes time used to prepare for classes, break time in between classes, and work given outside of teaching time.)

5. Salary, over time, Severance Payment, and Tax
A. Salary will be (2,200,000 ) won per month. This salary will be paid on the 10th day of the following month, depending on when the teacher arrives.
B. Overtime rate is 20,000 won per an hour, for each hour that exceeds teaching hours per week.
Attendance at scheduled staff meeting, workshops, field trips, picnics, a talent show, an entrance ceremony, the graduation ceremony and any events for Kindergarten (which is mandatory - no pay) cannot be considered as overtime.
C. Employee will be given an additional equivalent of one month’s salary, upon completion of his/her contract period, as a severance payment.
D. The employer will not be responsible for providing pension for the employee due to the based salary pay agreement.
E. The income tax rate will be 5% in accordance with the Korean Tax Code. The income tax (Salary, Overtime, and Bonus) shall be deducted from the salary of the Employee each month.

6. DUTIES OF TEACHERS
The following policies have been established to assist instructors in the expected performance of their duties. The Employer will have the right to dismiss the employee for clear and frequent neglect of duties under this agreement.
A. The Employer shall request the resignation of the Employee, if the Employee is found to be guilty of gross misconduct in the execution of his teaching duties. If this gross misconduct brings a negative effect to the classes, the Employer may break the annual contract, dismiss the Employee and shall be free from any legal responsibility. However, prior written notice is required to ensure that the Employee is given adequate opportunity to correct his/her misconduct.
B. Professional dress and grooming in the work place are essential to maintaining the desired reputation of the institute. The Employer shall establish guidelines for professional dress.
C. All instructors must behave in a professional manner during class and when socializing with students outside of class. Instructors should be aware of the cultural background of Korean students and their expectation of teachers.
D. Instructors are required to attend all staff meetings on Monday or any staff meetings as requested by the Director. If an instructor must be absent, he/she must inform the Director or Assistant prior to the meeting.
E. Instructors are required to interview new students as required and evaluate their placement level.
F. The Employee shall not be absent unless they give the director enough time to find someone who can teach the classes. They must also have a medical document, called “Chindanseo” in Korean that the director can accept. When the Employee is absent with enough time for the director to find a replacement teacher and the reasonable documents, the Employer may deduct 20,000 won per teaching hour for being absent up to 12 teaching hours or 2 working days off within a year. This also applies if the Employee is more than 10 minutes late for a class session without prior notification.
However, if the Employee is absent for a personal reason without any official documents that the director can accept and is absent without prior notification, the Employer may deduct 40,000 won for every teaching hour for being absent or late.
In addition, After the employer has already used 3 paid sick days and 12 teaching hours or 2 working days off on the conditions of 20,000 won deduction, if the employee takes more classes or days off, each class (60 minutes) will be deduced as the amount of money, 25,000 won up to 5 extra days or 30 hours off within a year with the reasonable document that the employer can accept. However, if the employee takes more than either 10 days off or 60 classes off including paid sick days and unpaid classes off within one year total , the contract between the employer and the employee will be automatically terminated.
In this case of contract’s termination, the employer shall be free from any legal responsibility and the employer is not responsible for providing a return ticket to the employee and will not pay severance payment.
G. The Employee will be sanctioned by the Director if they make sexual advances towards students or if questionable inter-personal relationships with individual students develops upon which they would be terminated from employments.
H. The Employee shall prepare teaching materials for each class beforehand and will be honest and diligent in teaching students in all classes. The Employer agrees to furnish all curricula, textbooks, and other materials.
I. If many of the Employee's students complain about the classes, or if the students’ enrollment falls below the accepted average for the third consecutive month, the Employee will be required to attend teacher training or other teacher classes as requested by the director.

7. Housing
The Employer will provide rent-free housing for the Employee. The Employer shall provide furnished living accommodations, single studio apartment. Meals are not provided. Employee pays his building maintenance fee every month that includes water, public electric, up-down drain, and refuse. Cable TV and ADSL will be optionally paid if he or she applies for them. Employee pays telephone charges, gas charges and electric charges every month according to each bill. When the employee finishes or quits his / her contract, the employee will be charged for outstanding bills that are based on his / her average charge.

8. Transportation
The Employer will purchase for the teacher an economy class ticket (chosen by the employer) from the closest international airport of point of hire to Korea. After completing the one-year contract, the teacher will be provided a return ticket. In the event that the teacher willfully leaves the school before his/her contract is over, the school will not be responsible for the return ticket. If the Employee is re-contracted and wishes to return home for any reason, the Employer will provide tickets both to and from home. If, however the Employee wants to get his/her return ticket cost in cash for the employee’s personal reason, the Employer will pay 600,000 won in cash instead of providing return ticket.

9. Preparatory Period
After arrival in Korea, teachers may be allowed a few days for adjustment and school preparation before beginning regular teaching duties. The preparatory period will be spent in the institute preparing for classes and learning the instructional system.

10. Paid Holidays
The Employee will observe 2 school vacations per year, one in the summer and one in the winter. The date of vacation will be scheduled by the school. Summer vacation consists of fives working days and the weekend. On the other hand, winter vacation is only for five days (which includes the weekend and the holidays within the 5 days.) School vacation is usually at Christmas and during the month of July or August, but may vary. They will also observe all Korean national holidays.
11. Paid Sick days
The school has 3 paid sick days in the year. If the Employee is to be paid, they must bring a medical certification, called “Chindanseo” in Korean that the Employer can accept. If the Employee is sick more than 3 days and they need to take extra classes or days off with the appropriate medical certification, called “Chindanseo” and the Employer will deduct 20,000 won per teaching hour time up to either 12 teaching hours or 2 working days off. If the Employee does not bring appropriate documents they will lose 40,000 won per teaching hour for that day.

12. Medical Insurance
The teacher will be given the option of private health organization. The costs of this coverage will be borne half by the Employer and half by the teacher. A payment will be made through a deduction from the salary. However, this is not mandatory. It is an option, offered by the employer for the employee.

13. Dismissal
The Employer will have the right to dismiss the teacher for failure to attend to his or her assigned duties, outlined in number 6. This will also include frequent absences from the place of employment without the approval of the Academic Supervisor (Director). Prior to any dismissal, the teacher will be warned of dissatisfaction twice, by a written letter. In order to remedy the situation the teacher must improve the situation to satisfactory standards and write a formal letter of apology to the employer.
In any case of dismissal, the employer is not responsible for providing a return ticket and will not pay severance payment. In addition, the teacher who is dismissed before six months must pay back the initial airfare and airport pick up costs, otherwise the school has the right to deduct these costs from the employee’s last payment.

14. Immediate Dismissal
The following misconducts are grounds for immediate dismissal, without prior notification:
• A criminal offense under Korean law that has been clearly substantiated inside or outside the place of Employment, and that would be deemed inappropriate by the Academic Institution.
• Any action inflicting injury upon any student or another staff member.
• If they were to give the school a bad reputation from their inappropriate behavior at work or otherwise.
• Any action that degrades the school and promotes a negative atmosphere for other employees and the school (saying rumors, inappropriate things about the school, causing fights among workers, etc.).
• If they gave the school’s secret information (i.e. School curriculum, Lesson plans, School management state or any School policy) including school documents to those not employed by the school.
• If they conduct illegal teaching of non-students for a fee such as private tutoring out of the school or teaching students at other schools, without the Employer’s approval. In this case the Employee will not receive the paid plane ticket home or the severance payment at the end of the month, and will be required to pay the Employer one month’s salary. In addition to that, the Employee who is dismissed before six months must payback the initial airfare. They will also be subject to punishments for illegal working practices by the Korean Law.

15. Voluntary Resignation
If the Employee seeks release from his/her contract due to cultural differences, homesickness or personal problems, he/she must inform the Employer within 2 months of the date when they wish to quit. The teacher must also receive a written agreement on that situation from the Employer.
The Employee will be required to work until a new Employee will arrive, for a maximum term of 3 months. In this case, the Employee will be required to pay the initial costs (ex-air fare, recruiting fee, etc.) that were paid for them by the school when they arrived.
In addition, the employer will not provide a return ticket and will not pay the severance payment in term of voluntary resignation.
In the case that the Employee finds a replacement teacher, he/she may negotiate all responsibilities relating to voluntary resignation but the Employer has the right to make the decision.
However, should the Employer wish to terminate the contract for personal reasons, then the Employer will be required to provide airfare for the Employee. Alternatively, the Employer should give the Employee sufficient time to find another job at another institute.

16. Leaving the country or breaking the contract without Notification
If he/she breaks the contract and returns home or elsewhere during the contract period, the Employee can take the case to an international lawyer who will demand the repayment of the initial fees. The Employer has already a candidate. These fees include the agent fee, initial airfare, airport pick-up fee, and international lawyer payment.

17. Governing Law and Jurisdiction
Any dispute arising in connection with this contract shall be resolved in a Korean court of law according to Korean Regulations and Codes. The parties agree to comply with all applicable laws in their performance of this Agreement.
IN WITNESS HERE OF the parties have agreed upon the stipulations above as of the date this contract.
DosEquisXX

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's possible that he sent that first contract on the off-chance that you were a sucker and you'd sign it without asking questions. You called him on his bluff and now you get the real thing.

Personally, that tactic would turn me off from working for him regardless of what was offered. It's a sneaky move. I wonder what other sneaky moves he'll use if you work at his academy.
ceb614

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, my first reaction was "Wow, I'm sort of impressed that he's even willing to negotiate" and my second was "Wait, I really shouldn't have to compromise on things that seem to come standard with other contracts like a fair tax %".

To be honest, I don't fully understand how the pension works, I've just assumed it was more of a principle thing (if the school isn't offering it, they're probably doing something shady). Is it something I should be steadfast about getting?

Thanks again for your help.
Aine1979

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The over-charging on the tax would make me turn the contract down immediately - there's no reason for you to agree to what is, in essence, a reduction in pay, because you can be sure the owner won't be paying more to the tax office than is required, so he's probably going to pocket the difference - a small amount but that's not really the point.

Also, 250,000 won per month for health insurance seems excessively high to me, mine is 116,000 per month, of which I pay 50%. I'm not sure what other people are paying, but at a figure that high, compared to what mine costs, it sounds to me like he's telling you he's paying 50% when in reality you're paying it all.
ceb614

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I would say that the 250,000 for health insurance means it's private (or he's just pocketing the difference).

They sent me an offer of 2.3 when I didn't respond to the first one. This is my response. I hope it's not too bitchy, but I feel like someone should stand-up to this kind of stuff from schools.

"Sorry for the delay, I've been giving the offer some thought. 2,300,000 is very tempting and I really appreciate that he's willing to negotiate with me, however it's more of a principal thing. The 5% tax is still about 4% too high, which can only mean someone is pocketing the difference. Also, I did the math and the National Health Insurance (which all E2 visa holders are entitled to) premium is only about 3% of your salary, which in my case would be 67,500 a month total. His claim of it costing 250,000 implies that it's private coverage, which I'm not ok with.

I'm sorry to lay this all on you! I know you don't make the rules! Haha. And I know this is how a lot of schools operate and I don't think it necessarily takes away from the quality of the school or owner. I'm just not willing to negotiate on things that are really just the basics of the E2 visa requirements. I'd rather keep things "legal" and get paid a little less."
abbaker21

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:25 am    Post subject: Contract review, please Reply with quote

I'm a bit worried about this. This is the first contract I've been offered, and it's exactly in the location I want it to be in. I just want to know I'm not going to make a big mistake. I've looked it over, have others look it over, and now I would greatly appreciate having some Korean ESL contract experts look it over. Please and thank you.

AGREEMENT

THIS EMPLOYMENT AGREEMENT("this Agreement") is made by and between , a private learning institution in the Republic of Korea ( "the Employer" ) and (“the Employee").

WHEREAS, the Employer desires to employ the Employee for the position of English Teacher in the located in , South Korea, and the Employee desires to accept such an offer of employment.

1. Definitions
As used in this Agreement, the following terms shall have the meanings stated:

A. "Employment Date" shall mean the actual date that the employee begins work at . June. 1st , 2014 .

B. "Termination Date" shall mean the date from the Employment Date. May. 31th , 2015.

2. Duties & Responsibilities and Requirements of the Employee
A. Duties and Responsibilities of the Employee
The Employees shall have the duties and responsibilities for the teaching of the English overseas, in the physical premises located in South Korea to students of Korean origin, by complying and following the academic programs set forth by the Employer.

Duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to
i. Well-prepared teaching to students
ii. Preparation/production of teaching materials
iii. Curriculum design and implementation
iv. Writing evaluation comments and preparing evaluation reports
v. Essay and journal correction
vi. Execution of duties as a homeroom teacher or an assistant homeroom teacher
vii. Homeroom teacher’s duties and consultation with parents
viii. Supervision of students
ix. Implementation of teacher’s policy of
x. Attendance at teacher’s meetings and workshops
xi. Participation in micro-teaching group presentations
xii. Do demonstrate classes regularly
xiii. Show open classes to parents regularly
xiv. Interview new students
xv. Substitute teaching
xvi. Organize and join all of the events such as field trip, party, briefing session, public relations, or entrance ceremony and graduation ceremony.
xvii. Coming earlier before classes and go back home later to prepare for classes
xviii. Training : the Employee will receive over 1 week of training before the start of the classes

The Employee’s duties and responsibilities as well as the academic programs may be modified from time to time according to policy because it is inevitable for to be competitive in the educational market. For this case, the Employer notices the Employee in advance. Any modifications in the Employee’s duties and responsibilities and/or academic programs, shall not constitute a termination of the Employment.

B. Requirements of the Employee to obtain visa in South Korea
i. The Employee by entering into this Agreement att s and warrants he/she is the holder of at least a Bachelor’s degree and has a valid passport enabling him or her to travel freely in and out of his/her country of citizenship.

ii. The Employee agrees to supply the Employer with a certificate of a degree with apostille, a college diploma with apostille, criminal record with apostille, self medical check list, transcript sealed, a copy of his/her passport and visa, and a copy of his/her alien registration cared to be posted at the school, as per Korean Labor Regulations. If necessary, the Employee can supply the Employer with more documents.

iii. The Employee must also supply the Employer with 6 passport-sized photos upon his/her arrival.
The photos will be used for entering Korea, register him/her to education office and in ’s advertising flying and website.

3. Term of Employment
A. The Employment shall begin at least 7 days after Employee’s arrival into South Korea. The first 7 days will be considered as unpaid leave allowing the Employee to adjust and settle in a bit before beginning employment (“Employment Date”), and unless sooner terminated, the Employment shall continue for at least a period of one(1) year from the Employment Date (Termination Date) and unless renewed, shall automatically terminate on the Termination Date.

B. The Employee should complete this contract successfully. If the Employee starts working in the middle of the term (3 months or 6 months for each term), he/she should work until the last month of the term. For example, if the termination date is Dec.31th 2012 but as the term starts in Dec. 1st and is supposed to finish in Feb 2013, the Employee should work until the end of February 2013 based on the school’s academic calendar.

4. No Other Competitive Employment or Activities
During the Employment, the Employee shall diligently and conscientiously devote the required professional/business time, energy, inter s, abilities and attention to . The Employee shall not, without the prior written consent of the Employer, render his/her service to any other person, corporation, partnership, firm, employer, joint venture or other entity, any services of any kind for compensation, or engage in any other activity that would in any manner whatsoever compete with employer, be adverse to any inter s of the Employer and/or in any manner whatsoever interfere with the performance or the Employee’s duties for the Employer.

5. Dual Employment Prohibition
The Employee, after signing the agreement and receiving a work visa of , can only legally work for the designated by the Employer. If the Employee works for any other s, companies, or individuals without the written consent of the employer and the Korean Immigration Office, the Employee shall face legal consequences which will/may include a fine and possible deportation.

6. Compensation and Benefits
During the employment and subject to the pursuant to Early Termination by Employee, the Employee shall receive ;

A. Monthly pay
Monthly compensation in the amount 2.1 million Korean won will be paid based on 40 or 45 -minute class for Kindergarten, 50-minute classes for elementary or junior high school students per work week during the described working hours and days. (Based on curriculum, the employee will be paid for every full month worked, irrespective of 4-week month or 5-week month.) The Employee shall perform his/her duties for 9 hours a day, 5 days per week, Monthly through Friday. The Employee will be paid on the 10th of the month for the previous month services rendered. For example, the employee will be paid on September 10th for his/her work in August. Additional classes taught beyond upon 35 classes per week will be compensated.

Salary paid for a partial month's work will be calculated as follows: Base monthly salary divided by the number of days in the month, multiplied by the number of days worked. For example, if your last day of work is March 19th and your base salary is 1,900,000 won, you would divide 1,900,000 by 31 and multiply by 19, for a salary of 1,164,516 won.

B. Income Tax
Income tax will be deducted from the base salary at a rate 3.3% per month in accordance will Korean Tax laws.

C. Overtime Wages for additional classes
Employer agrees to pay the Employee overtime wages for any classes taught in addition to the agreed upon per work week using the following guidelines:

i. The employee will teach 35 classes per week maximum for the base salary. In the event the assigned class load exceeds 35 classes per week, overtime pay will be 18,000 won per class during normal working hours or outside of normal working hours from Monday to Friday.

ii. Teachers scheduled for their base number of classes will be paid their base salary regardless of
holidays.

iii. Teachers scheduled for less than base number of classes will be paid their base salary regardless of holidays.

iv. Teachers scheduled for more than their base number of classes will be paid their base salary
regardless of holidays. Their overtime will be compensated on a monthly basis. Holidays cannot
be used when calculating overtime.

v. For extra classes taught during normal working hours or outside of normal working hours during the winter and summer intensive sessions and school events such as cooking class, field trip including a few days’ trip, or many kinds of parties indoors or outdoors will not be paid because these are based on original Schedule. In addition, teachers will be required to work at least three Saturdays per each term to recruit new students , to join the promotion event, or a briefing session and this will not be classed as overtime

D. Health Insurance & Pension;
i. In cases where a foreigner whose home country has concluded a social security agreement with Korea, regarding the payment of the lump-sum refund ; 50% of the premium is paid by the Employee and 50% is paid by the Employer. The premium costs will start from the employment date into Korea. Once you are registered for Korean insurance & Pension, you must keep it for the entire term of employment. If you decline your insurance benefit with and elect to use this benefit with another school after the employment with , is not responsible for any of the premiums that you may due upon our acceptance of Korean Insurance.

ii. In the other cases where a foreigner whose home country hasn’t concluded a totalization social security agreement with Korea ; Only income tax will be deducted from the base salary at a rate 3.3% per month in accordance will Korean Tax laws after being agreed upon by both the Employee and the Employer. : In this case, is not responsible for both health Insurance and Pension.

E. Severance Pay
Severance pay amount will be equivalent to one month's salary. It will be paid to the Employee upon the successful completion of this contract. If the Employee starts working in the middle of the term (3 months or 6 months for each term), he/she should work until the last month of the term. For example, if the termination date is Dec.31th 2012 but as the term starts in Dec. 1st and is supposed to finish in Feb 2013, the Employee should work until the end of February 2013 based on the school’s academic calendar. In this case, severance pay amount will be also equivalent to one month’s salary.

F. Housing:
Single housing with furnishings will be supplied by Employer.

Below (from i to vi) are for the Employee residing in the premises of

ⅰ. The Employer is not responsible for utility charge such as electricity, gas, telephone charges, cell phone charges, Internet charges, transportation expenses and for the purchase of dinnerware, sleeping gear etc.

ⅱ. The Employee will have to share his/her apartment for up to 7 days a maximum of 1 time with a new incoming teacher.

ⅲ. The Employer will pay for normal wear and tear maintenance needing to be accomplished on the apartment or furnishing. In the event the damage is due to the Employee’s negligence, the Employee will be charged for the accomplished maintenance.

iv. The Employee is responsible for paying all utilities within the due date and must submit the receipt of payment to the school, no later than the 5th of each month. Failure to do so will result in the withholding of the Employee’s monthly salary until receipts showing payment of utilities are submitted.

v. The Employee should be responsible for paying for unpaid monthly services, utilities, telephone charges, Internet fee, and cleaning fee 60,000 won after the Employee leaves the premises.

G. Airline tickets
1. For the Employee living in a foreign country when he/she makes a contract
The Employer shall pay for one way ticket on the teacher's point of departure to Korea and when the employee completes one year of the contract, the employer shall pay for a one way ticket upon the successful completion of this contract. However, if the Employee agrees to a contract extension, the employer will pay for a one way ticket only once at the point when the employee completes the renewed contract. Airline tickets won’t be double-paid.
2. For the Employee living in Korea at the time when he/she makes a contract
The Employer has no duty to give any airline tickets to the Employee both when making a contract and when the Employee comes back to his/her country.

H. Cost the Employee should be responsible for
i. In case the employee is about or misses his/her classes, the employee shall be responsible for the subbing fee. That means the subbing fee shall be deducted from the monthly payment.

ii. After the employee starts working, the Employee will be responsible for the cost of physical check up, issuing a certificate to summit to Gangseo Education office and getting alien registration card. The employee should pay for the cost of issuing all the documents.

7. Vacation & Holiday and Leaves
A. Vacation & Holiday
i. If the Employee usually teaches Kindergartners, he/she will be granted 8 days (based on working days) paid vacation a year. The paid vacation will be normally 4 days for summer and 4 days for winter. The Employer will schedule all 8 days of paid vacation to coincide with the school's operating schedule, and especially the days of the paid vacation are scheduled by to coincide with the school's academic calendar.

ii. If the Employee usually teaches elementary or junior high students, he/she will be granted 6 days (based on working days) paid vacation a year. The paid vacation will be normally 3 days for summer and 3 days for winter. The Employer will schedule all 6 days of paid vacation to coincide with the school's operating schedule, and especially the days of the paid vacation are scheduled by to coincide with the school's academic calendar.

Vacation schedule is based on the Korean Educational Curriculum and it is also appropriate to strengthen competitiveness

iii. In addition to the Employee's paid vacation, there are also Korean National holidays and Weekends observed in Korea, depending on the calendar of the year, which the Employee will be granted off.
B. Emergency leave
; The Employee should provide the with as much advance notice as possible.

i. Bereavement leave: Bereavement leave will be available and dealt with on an individual basis, as this is not a foreseeable circumstance. Leave taken will be considered unpaid vacation time. However, only if the employee will take bereavement leave because of bereavement of the immediate family – parents, sisters and brothers, grandparents, it will be paid.

ii. Leave for personal reasons : Leave taken for personal reasons will be also considered unpaid vacation time. Leave for personal reasons should be within 2 days a year, which shouldn’t be successive. In this case, the employee should notice the in advance. Even though the employee notices the in advance, the employer can terminate the contract as the employee asks for leaves over 2 days a year, which causes adverse effect – ex.) missing the classes - on the based on the Korean educational environment.

iii. Sick leave : Sick leave will be considered paid only if the Employee notice the in advance and submit doctor’s prescription to the for approving sick leaves.
Documented sick leave will be paid for 2 days a year, which shouldn’t be successive. If the employee will take sick leave over 2 days in a row, it will be unpaid.

8. Termination of Employment.

A. Early Termination for Cause.
The Employer has the unr ricted right to terminate the Employment at any time for cause. Upon any termination for cause, the Employer's sole obligation to the Employee shall be to pay the Employment through the date of such early termination his/her earned monthly compensation, and no other benefits such as return trip airline ticket or reimbursement of shipping expenses shall be paid. The Employee shall reimburse the Employer, as liquidated damages, all expenses incurred in anticipation of the Employment of Employee. These expenses are the airfare (as outlined below), and the recruiting fee on a pro-rates basis.

Termination for cause r ricted to:
ⅰ. the Employee's deliberate and intentional refusal to perform his duties owed to the Employer as provided in this Agreement (Employee's breach of contract);
ⅱ. the Employee fails to make corrective actions based on written and oral feedback provided by
the Employer based on the Employee's performance and evaluations.
ⅲ. the Employee's dishon y and moral turpitude with respect to his relationship with the Employer;
ⅳ. gross negligence or reckless behavior by the Employee while may result in demonstrable
material harm to the Employer; or
ⅴ. Any breach in this Agreement resulting in or which may reasonably be expected to have, a substantial adverse effect upon the Employer, or as may be reasonably expected by the Employer to affect adversely the Employee's duties pursuant to this Agreement.

ⅵ. The occurrence of any event constituting cause for termination shall permit but not require the Employer to terminate the Employment. The decision to take any other action or no action at all, in response to any such occurrence shall be in the sole and exclusive discretion of the Employer.

B. Early Termination by the Employer and the Employee
The Employer and Employee may terminate this contract with a written 60-day notice. Anything less than 60 days will be considered a breach of contract by the Employer or Employee unless the contract is terminated for cause.

i. In the event the Employer enacts this Paragraph by terminating or giving notice of termination, the Employer shall pay the Employee for the days when the Employee does his or her duties as an English Teacher after an official termination of Employment intent has been given to the Employee.

ii. In the event the Employee enacts this Paragraph by terminating or giving notice of termination, the Employee shall reimburse the Employer as liquidated damages all expenses incurred in anticipation of the Employment of the Employee which include airfare, and the recruiting fee on a pro-rated basis.

iii. The guideline of airfare and severance pay
a. If the Employee has not completed the contract period, the Employee must pay the Employer
for the full amount of airfare ticket. For this case, severance pay will be unpaid.
b. If the Employee has completed one-year contract period successfully, airfare and severance pay will be paid to the Employee.

C. Effect of Termination
Upon termination of the Employment after the satisfactory completion of the period written on the contract , or upon any early termination of Employee's the Employment and this Agreement, the following shall occur:

ⅰ. Within 5 days after the Date of Termination, the Employer shall pay the Employee all earned but unpaid monthly compensation only if the Employee finishes the contract successfully.

ii. Within 10 days after the Date of Early termination, the Employer shall pay the Employee all earned but unpaid monthly compensation.

iii . Immediately after the Date of Termination, Employee shall deliver to the Employer all of the Employer's personal property, documents, records and other items in Employee's possession or custody.

9. Contract Extension
The Employee can agree to a contract extension with the Employer on an annual basis. If the Employer or the employee wants to renew the contract, he/she should notice with a written 60-day notice and sign the renewed contract. For this case, the employer will pay for a one way ticket only once at the point when the employee completes the renewed contract. Airline tickets won’t be double-paid. However, severance pay will be paid not only on the successful completion of one-year contract but also on the successful completion of the renewed contract.

10. Duty of Secrecy
i. The Employee shall not disclose any of the contents of this agreement, including salary
to a third party (including other employees of the school)
ii. The Employee shall not disclose any information relating to the contents of lecturers and business operation of the School without prior permission of the School. Violation of this portion of the contract will cause the Employee to be responsible to compensate the School for all possible losses suffered by the School.

11. Sole and Entire Agreement
This Agreement is the sole, complete and entire contract, agreement and understanding between the Employer and the Employee concerning the Employment; the terms and conditions of the Employment; the duration of the Employment, the termination of the Employment and the compensation and benefits to be paid and provided by the Employer to the Employee pursuant to the Employment. This Agreement supersedes any and all prior contracts, agreements, correspondence, letters of intent, understandings, and/or negotiations, whether oral or written, concerning the Employment; the terms and conditions of the Employment; the duration of the Employment; the termination of the Employment and/or the compensation and benefits to be paid to be paid by the Employer to the Employee pursuant to the Employment.

12. Applicable Law and Venue
This agreement and each and every provision hereof shall be interpreted pursuant to the laws of the Republic of Korea without regard to any conflicts of law principles, and the venue in which a claim, action or lawsuit may be brought shall be exclusively the Republic of Korea.

IN WITNESS WHERE OF the Employer and the Employee have each duly executed this Agreement on the dates set forth below their respective signatures.

Representative
(The “Employer “) (The “Employee “)

Signed: Signed:

Dated: Dated:

DosEquisXX

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Contract review, please Reply with quote

abbaker21 wrote:

1. Definitions
As used in this Agreement, the following terms shall have the meanings stated:

A. "Employment Date" shall mean the actual date that the employee begins work at . June. 1st , 2014 .

B. "Termination Date" shall mean the date from the Employment Date. May. 31th , 2015.

That is not a full year. They could use that as an excuse for you not to get your severance or pension. Change the termination date to June 1st, 2015 (or the next business day afterwards).

Quote:
2. Duties & Responsibilities and Requirements of the Employee
A. Duties and Responsibilities of the Employee

Duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to
i. Well-prepared teaching to students
ii. Preparation/production of teaching materials
iii. Curriculum design and implementation
iv. Writing evaluation comments and preparing evaluation reports
v. Essay and journal correction
vi. Execution of duties as a homeroom teacher or an assistant homeroom teacher
vii. Homeroom teacher’s duties and consultation with parents
viii. Supervision of students
ix. Implementation of teacher’s policy of
x. Attendance at teacher’s meetings and workshops
xi. Participation in micro-teaching group presentations
xii. Do demonstrate classes regularly
xiii. Show open classes to parents regularly
xiv. Interview new students
xv. Substitute teaching
xvi. Organize and join all of the events such as field trip, party, briefing session, public relations, or entrance ceremony and graduation ceremony.
xvii. Coming earlier before classes and go back home later to prepare for classes
xviii. Training : the Employee will receive over 1 week of training before the start of the classes

That's an intimidating list. I mean, most of what is listed is assumed as it is part of being a teacher (grading, classroom management etc.). I'd have questions about the meetings, find out what micro-group presentations are, what events would you be organizing among other things. Get the details.

Quote:

3. Term of Employment
A. The Employment shall begin at least 7 days after Employee’s arrival into South Korea. The first 7 days will be considered as unpaid leave allowing the Employee to adjust and settle in a bit before beginning employment (“Employment Date”), and unless sooner terminated, the Employment shall continue for at least a period of one(1) year from the Employment Date (Termination Date) and unless renewed, shall automatically terminate on the Termination Date.

I actually like this. Nice not to throw some groggy, jet-lagged guy in front of a bunch of young students who don't know a lick of English.

Quote:
B. The Employee should complete this contract successfully. If the Employee starts working in the middle of the term (3 months or 6 months for each term), he/she should work until the last month of the term. For example, if the termination date is Dec.31th 2012 but as the term starts in Dec. 1st and is supposed to finish in Feb 2013, the Employee should work until the end of February 2013 based on the school’s academic calendar

Wait a minute. So your contract ends, but you still have to work for them!? Last time I checked, working without a contract would be illegal. Without a contract, how would you be entitled to payment? Plus, your housing is connected to your contract. Once the contract is finished, you lose your house.

Quote:
6. Compensation and Benefits
During the employment and subject to the pursuant to Early Termination by Employee, the Employee shall receive ;

A. Monthly pay
Monthly compensation in the amount 2.1 million Korean won will be paid based on 40 or 45 -minute class for Kindergarten, 50-minute classes for elementary or junior high school students per work week during the described working hours and days. (Based on curriculum, the employee will be paid for every full month worked, irrespective of 4-week month or 5-week month.) The Employee shall perform his/her duties for 9 hours a day, 5 days per week, Monthly through Friday. The Employee will be paid on the 10th of the month for the previous month services rendered. For example, the employee will be paid on September 10th for his/her work in August. Additional classes taught beyond upon 35 classes per week will be compensated.

7 classes/day plus all of those other responsibilities mentioned above? Seems like burnout city to me.

Quote:
Salary paid for a partial month's work will be calculated as follows: Base monthly salary divided by the number of days in the month, multiplied by the number of days worked. For example, if your last day of work is March 19th and your base salary is 1,900,000 won, you would divide 1,900,000 by 31 and multiply by 19, for a salary of 1,164,516 won.

I have absolutely no idea where they get the idea to divide it by days in a month instead of number of working days. Seems to the norm, but I find it stupid.

Quote:
C. Overtime Wages for additional classes

v. For extra classes taught during normal working hours or outside of normal working hours during the winter and summer intensive sessions and school events such as cooking class, field trip including a few days’ trip, or many kinds of parties indoors or outdoors will not be paid because these are based on original Schedule. In addition, teachers will be required to work at least three Saturdays per each term to recruit new students , to join the promotion event, or a briefing session and this will not be classed as overtime

So wait a minute. If you teach extra classes, they would be classified as overtime, right? But if they're during the intensive sessions, they aren't? How much more intense could your schedule get? You're already doing 35 classes per week.

And these trips and events: do they occur during normal working hours? Meaning that you're doing them in lieu of your classes and you're not getting paid for that day. That work is more annoying than teaching in my opinion.

Quote:
D. Health Insurance & Pension;
i. In cases where a foreigner whose home country has concluded a social security agreement with Korea, regarding the payment of the lump-sum refund ; 50% of the premium is paid by the Employee and 50% is paid by the Employer. The premium costs will start from the employment date into Korea. Once you are registered for Korean insurance & Pension, you must keep it for the entire term of employment. If you decline your insurance benefit with and elect to use this benefit with another school after the employment with , is not responsible for any of the premiums that you may due upon our acceptance of Korean Insurance.

Specify that you get NHIC, not some private insurer.

Quote:
ii. In the other cases where a foreigner whose home country hasn’t concluded a totalization social security agreement with Korea ; Only income tax will be deducted from the base salary at a rate 3.3% per month in accordance will Korean Tax laws after being agreed upon by both the Employee and the Employer. : In this case, is not responsible for both health Insurance and Pension.

They sure as hell are. You are entitled to that insurance solely based on having an E2 visa and an ARC. Pension is a different story. I heard non North Americans get screwed out of that.

Quote:
E. Severance Pay
Severance pay amount will be equivalent to one month's salary. It will be paid to the Employee upon the successful completion of this contract. If the Employee starts working in the middle of the term (3 months or 6 months for each term), he/she should work until the last month of the term. For example, if the termination date is Dec.31th 2012 but as the term starts in Dec. 1st and is supposed to finish in Feb 2013, the Employee should work until the end of February 2013 based on the school’s academic calendar. In this case, severance pay amount will be also equivalent to one month’s salary.

So work illegally and it doesn't get added into your severance. What a deal!

F. Housing:
Single housing with furnishings will be supplied by Employer.[/quote]

Specify what furnishings you get in the contract. Pictures of the apartment would be nice.

Quote:
iv. The Employee is responsible for paying all utilities within the due date and must submit the receipt of payment to the school, no later than the 5th of each month. Failure to do so will result in the withholding of the Employee’s monthly salary until receipts showing payment of utilities are submitted.

Why? I don't get the point of this. Never heard of anybody ever having to do this.

Quote:
v. The Employee should be responsible for paying for unpaid monthly services, utilities, telephone charges, Internet fee, and cleaning fee 60,000 won after the Employee leaves the premises.

The wording is a bit goofy. Are they going to chase you down and make you pay those extra bills once you've left the country?

Quote:
H. Cost the Employee should be responsible for
i. In case the employee is about or misses his/her classes, the employee shall be responsible for the subbing fee. That means the subbing fee shall be deducted from the monthly payment.

Aside from it being an illegal deduction, they do not specify the actual fee.

Quote:
ii. After the employee starts working, the Employee will be responsible for the cost of physical check up, issuing a certificate to summit to Gangseo Education office and getting alien registration card. The employee should pay for the cost of issuing all the documents.

Might want to find out how much that costs beforehand. Seems like something that the employer should do (or at least help you with) especially given that you speak no Korean and have never been to the country before.

Quote:
7. Vacation & Holiday and Leaves
A. Vacation & Holiday
i. If the Employee usually teaches Kindergartners, he/she will be granted 8 days (based on working days) paid vacation a year. The paid vacation will be normally 4 days for summer and 4 days for winter. The Employer will schedule all 8 days of paid vacation to coincide with the school's operating schedule, and especially the days of the paid vacation are scheduled by to coincide with the school's academic calendar.

ii. If the Employee usually teaches elementary or junior high students, he/she will be granted 6 days (based on working days) paid vacation a year. The paid vacation will be normally 3 days for summer and 3 days for winter. The Employer will schedule all 6 days of paid vacation to coincide with the school's operating schedule, and especially the days of the paid vacation are scheduled by to coincide with the school's academic calendar.

Really skimping on the vacation days.

B. Emergency leave

Quote:
iii. Sick leave : Sick leave will be considered paid only if the Employee notice the in advance and submit doctor’s prescription to the for approving sick leaves.
Documented sick leave will be paid for 2 days a year, which shouldn’t be successive. If the employee will take sick leave over 2 days in a row, it will be unpaid.

Really? I'm sure the boss would love you giving the flu to all of the students you teach. Great for business.

Quote:
8. Termination of Employment.

A. Early Termination for Cause.

Termination for cause r ricted to:

ⅲ. the Employee's dishon y and moral turpitude with respect to his relationship with the Employer;

So basically the employer can accuse you of lying and use it as an excuse to fire you.

Quote:
B. Early Termination by the Employer and the Employee
The Employer and Employee may terminate this contract with a written 60-day notice. Anything less than 60 days will be considered a breach of contract by the Employer or Employee unless the contract is terminated for cause.

60 days? Ridiculous.

Quote:
ii. In the event the Employee enacts this Paragraph by terminating or giving notice of termination, the Employee shall reimburse the Employer as liquidated damages all expenses incurred in anticipation of the Employment of the Employee which include airfare, and the recruiting fee on a pro-rated basis.

Recruiting fee payback is absurd. Get that removed.

Quote:
C. Effect of Termination
Upon termination of the Employment after the satisfactory completion of the period written on the contract , or upon any early termination of Employee's the Employment and this Agreement, the following shall occur:

ⅰ. Within 5 days after the Date of Termination, the Employer shall pay the Employee all earned but unpaid monthly compensation only if the Employee finishes the contract successfully.

ii. Within 10 days after the Date of Early termination, the Employer shall pay the Employee all earned but unpaid monthly compensation.

iii . Immediately after the Date of Termination, Employee shall deliver to the Employer all of the Employer's personal property, documents, records and other items in Employee's possession or custody.

10 days? They expect you to hang around as an illegal immigrant for 10 days waiting for your pay? There's no reason they can't pay that the day before termination. Looks like they're trying to not pay you at the end.

Quote:
10. Duty of Secrecy
ii. The Employee shall not disclose any information relating to the contents of lecturers and business operation of the School without prior permission of the School. Violation of this portion of the contract will cause the Employee to be responsible to compensate the School for all possible losses suffered by the School.

Love to see what kind of voodoo math skills they use to figure out how much you have to pay.

-----------------

This contract is atrocious. The employer is looking to work you to the bone, giving you responsibilities far beyond the scope of being a teacher and do everything within his/her power to minimize the amount of benefits you can get. Everything about this is awful. Burn it! Send it to hell with whoever offered this to you.
Jongno2bucheon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goodness. Whats with the race to the bottom? Have some pride gentlemen. Dont accept crappy terms!
abbaker21

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:49 pm    Post subject: My contract Reply with quote

I had a rather ill feeling, but I wasn't too sure since this the first contract I was offered. I got an even worse vibe when they said to decide asap. Is it the consensus then that this is a horrible contract?

Plus, thanks so much for helping me out. I was feeling more than a little lost.
Emark

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

d-leet-id

Last edited by Emark on Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 139, 140, 141 ... 149, 150, 151  Next
Page 140 of 151

Jump to: